Sign in to follow this  
Ficus

NJ legal Barrett Rec7

Back in fall 2012 I came into a decent bit of cash.  I had been planning on making a little AR collection and I had one AR (A Bushmaster, which gets a lot of flak and made fun of because the "cool kids" online don't have Bushmasters... but mine was completely customized and an awesome rifle) and was going to get two more, this was on my short list (They have made NJ compliant REC-7's for some time).

Awesome manufacturer, awesome rifle, just awesome.

Back in fall 2012 I came into a decent bit of cash.  I had been planning on making a little AR collection and I had one AR (A Bushmaster, which gets a lot of flak and made fun of because the "cool kids" online don't have Bushmasters... but mine was completely customized and an awesome rifle) and was going to get two more, this was on my short list (They have made NJ compliant REC-7's for some time).

Awesome manufacturer, awesome rifle, just awesome.

$2700 awesome?

Well I guess you don't agree... but its a top quality, decked out piston AR that is American made by one of if not the biggest and best name of American rifles, not too many ppl can say they have a Barrett. Hk mr556a1 would be this rifles type of competition... I would also think it backs up its price tag but as I dont own one I can't state that from personal experience

I'm not overly impressed with High end AR's or piston AR's. If i had the money to blow that's a completely different story. These companies are dumping a lot of money into these piston systems that offer little advantage over DI for the average user. There are very good dependable rifles that are cheaper, although i would admit that $2700 isnt all that much more compared to an LWRC or something similar... so if your in that market its a good option. This is one of those companies you want to support, you want to give them your money.... its just whether or not you can justify the price tag.

Now... an MRAD... DROOOOOOL. been lusting over one since they developed it.

now just to make clear- I am not saying this is the Best of the Best or it's a "great deal" or anything.  And it's not exactly like it's the absolute one I'd buy.  I was close to saying "I'm buying a MR556A1" and for the brief week or two I wanted one and would have spent the money, they were not available anywhere.  To be honest I REALLY LOVE the HK416 w/ the 10.4" bbl.  I think it looks amazing and is probably so awesomely handy etc.  Obviously was not an option in NJ at all, and it was like $4000 for that upper even IF you were able to SBR it.  At the price of $4000 an upper, we're talking a nearly $5000 AR here, plus optic, it's just not really realistic for a "normal person" anymore.  Independently wealthy, sure.  ( I have an old friend who's 33 like me, and while he doesn't own guns, he would spend $5000 for this in a heartbeat, then drop $2500 for an ACOG/RMR ECOS no doubt.) 

And as you mentioned, the LWRC is a fine fine platform and company and I'd be equally happy with a LWRC rig as the REC-7.  I think that in my humblest opinion, Barrett is a little bit more of a name wow-factor than LWRC but LWRC might produce more highly-sought ARs, I'd probably think that's a fair statement.

Anyway I didn't want to start any back-and-forth because I don't have one and I'm not getting one but I'd sure be happy with one.

Well I guess you don't agree... but its a top quality, decked out piston AR that is American made by one of if not the biggest and best name of American rifles, not too many ppl can say they have a Barrett. Hk mr556a1 would be this rifles type of competition... I would also think it backs up its price tag but as I dont own one I can't state that from personal experience

Not that I didn't agree...I don't know that much about em to say it is or isn't, was more of an actual question...but one can't help think that that price is what it is partly due to the name that backs it. Like my Dillon Press...some of that cost is because if the name and their customer support backing it.

Old Topic but just saw it-

Barrett Customer Support is top notch.  I had a small issue with my Gen 2 and sent an email around 8am one morning.  I received a call from the Head of the Gen 2 project team in 20 minutes.  Guy was super cool and willing to do anything to fix the issue.  At this stage in my life I value that kind of support, as I really don't have time mess with "toy" issues.  Is that support worth the premium Barrett charges for their AR?  Only the individual can say, but for me it's a resounding yes!  If you can afford it, fantastic, if not enjoy what you can afford.  They all spit lead out the business end.

Pineracer

Barrett Customer Support is top notch.  I had a small issue with my Gen 2 and sent an email around 8am one morning.  I received a call from the Head of the Gen 2 project team in 20 minutes.  Guy was super cool and willing to do anything to fix the issue.  At this stage in my life I value that kind of support, as I really don't have time mess with "toy" issues.  Is that support worth the premium Barrett charges for their AR?  Only the individual can say, but for me it's a resounding yes!  If you can afford it, fantastic, if not enjoy what you can afford.  They all spit lead out the business end.

Pineracer

Stag also has excellent customer support.  I bent a gas block pin installing a free float quad rail (My Fault).  Called Stag to buy a replacement pin, they sent me 4 for free the same day.  And again, I paid half the price.

Stag makes a great gun.  They have a lifetime warranty too, compared to Barrett's 1 year.  I took a long hard look at the piston driven 8T plus before purchasing the Barrett.  Both a fine weapons.

That .308 looks fantastic also.  Would love to see one in action as I can't decide if want bolt action with tactical chassis or AR type.

Pineracer

Nice, but I think I'll take the new LWRC REPR with 20" Spiral Barrel...

That will most likely be my last rifle for a long time because I want to live longer... ;)

LWRCREPR-20In-Fluted-Geissele-3.jpg

Pineracer

PWS has fantastic customer support as well. I still don't see where this extra grand is coming from.

Why buy a Corvette when your Cobalt is fast enough for highway speeds. Your Camaro is nearly as quick, so who needs a Vette...both  are cheaper to boot...I see no value in the price tag on a Corvette...I've got this old Lumina that I bet is just as fast...

Sure...

Btw. Still fussing with the accuracy on my new 14.7 lwrc. It sucks. I i know it aint me. I gotta have a little talk with them this week. 2400$ and i was going to use this to start doing three gun. Well that aint gonna happen till i get it figured out. Wtf.

Why buy a Corvette when your Cobalt is fast enough for highway speeds. Your Camaro is nearly as quick, so who needs a Vette...both are cheaper to boot...I see no value in the price tag on a Corvette...I've got this old Lumina that I bet is just as fast...

Sure...

The Barrett is not measurably better than products from either PWS or LWRC. One could very well make the argument that PWS and LWRC make better products. The extra grand is for name alone. This isn't comparing a Cobalt to a Corvette. It's comparing a Camaro to a Mustang and having the Mustang cost 50% more.

Sure...You must have an impressive background to have the significant time, resources and direct personal experience on each system, in order to make such a sweeping statement...I only own one of the models specified, a PWS, in addition to some others; Noveske and POF, and have shot one of the others specified briefly; LWRC, so I'm not qualified to make that statement...I'll have to defer to your expertise...

Btw. Still fussing with the accuracy on my new 14.7 lwrc. It sucks. I i know it aint me. I gotta have a little talk with them this week. 2400$ and i was going to use this to start doing three gun. Well that aint gonna happen till i get it figured out. Wtf.

Golf what are you feeding it? My SPR hates certain stuff.

I didnt bring any 62 ammo with me both times. Just 55 gr. Talked to lwrc they said use the 62 or higher. The rifle was also stringing rounds. Ill try it with 62's. If it doesnt work lwrc send it back and if they dont find a problem its 150$ plus ammo. If they do find a problem its free He said it might be a barrell problem Also said it should shoot 2 moa. I was hoping for less than that.

Sure...You must have an impressive background to have the significant time, resources and direct personal experience on each system, in order to make such a sweeping statement...I only own one of the models specified, a PWS, in addition to some others; Noveske and POF, and have shot one of the others specified briefly; LWRC, so I'm not qualified to make that statement...I'll have to defer to your expertise...

LMAO

I didnt bring any 62 ammo with me both times. Just 55 gr. Talked to lwrc they said use the 62 or higher. The rifle was also stringing rounds. Ill try it with 62's. If it doesnt work lwrc send it back and if they dont find a problem its 150$ plus ammo. If they do find a problem its free He said it might be a barrell problem Also said it should shoot 2 moa. I was hoping for less than that.

2moa is not acceptable for a rifle of that price IMO.  My Noveske was way less than $2400 and shoots MOA or better all day with regular old factory ammo.  I use 55gr federal or speer most of the time.