Howard

Is it legal for me to do this with a handgun in NJ?

In NJ is this legal to transport:  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is it legal for me to take a handgun to UPS to ship out for repairs

• Yes, it's perfectly legal
    • Probably ok as a reasonable deviation
    • No, its illegal as it is not one of the 3 exemptions
    • Other - please comment

You can take it to a ups hub, not a ups store. I usually just schedule a home pick up instead of driving to the hub.

I know when firearms are shipped they can only be done so at a Hub not at a UPS store, BUT, is it legal for me to drive the handgun there as it does not seem to fall into the allowed exemptions for transport?

This is new to me.  I thought firearms had to be shipped and received to/from an FFL.

So if it's legal for you to ship from a UPS hub, when [the company you sent to] sends it back to you, does it come to your house or they have to mail it to a FFL?

Assuming you're shipping it to an FFL, I thought either you or the shipper are considered temporary agents of the FFL, making it not an issue. At least that's what the friend of my former roommate's brother-in-law read on the internet posted by someone who heard it from an LGS.

You cannot ship through USPS - that requires an FFL 

You can ask UPS if they require a lic, or any other documentation, but i do

know that you would need to go to a HUB. you cannot use a UPS store or

drop off location.

the easiest way would be to ask the receiver (Mfg) for a shipping label which

puts the burden of the shipment upon them, not you. then just call for a p/u

or if UPS will not allow a p/u - just drop it off at the closest hub........

This subject has been covered SEVERAL times before...............

So what ya havta do is pull it completely apart, down to the last spring and screw, wrap it in brown paper, tie it with bakery string and put stamps on it and mail it to Pelosi...............  NOT!

Howard--no poll needed!  This is a DWYAT Drill:  DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD by Kimber.  And since it's non-functioning, I'd label it as "machined parts"!  

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!  Yer done!

So this is as clear as mud, that is what I expected in New Jermany.  As to taking it apart that is not relevant as the frame is considered the firearm even if there is no barrel.  I asked four retired officers one that is a current FFL and all three said they see no issue with it.  That surprises me because while I don't even play a lawyer on TV when I read the NJ law I don't see how this falls under any of the allowed exemptions.  That said having it all boxed and in the trunk I doubt it would be an issue, but this is the people republic of NJ.  I know that it is not an issue to do this via UPS (not US Mail) in a Free state, my question has to do with NJ not Federal rules on shipping.

I have no idea if its legal or not but I would just say F it and box it up and drive it to the hub. Don't speed or do anything else stupid enough to get pulled over and you wont have a problem. Even if you do get pulled over there is no reason for a cop to search your car right? so how would anyone ever even know you had a pistol in your car?

driving it to a hub to ship to a repair place is transporting it to a repair place as far as I'm concerned.

They can ship back to your house as it isn't transferring ownership.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

And since it's non-functioning, I'd label it as "machined parts"! 

Since it contains the serial numbered part, do not label it as "machine parts" functioning or not. UPS requires that you declare it and also that there be no external labels or writing that identify the contents.

Bob that is what I had assumed too but when I got home from UPS there were two police cars and three officers that walked up my driveway to greet me.

That'll teach you to post your intentions on a public forum :haha:

That'll teach you to post your intentions on a public forum :haha:

Had my neighbor not texted me I probably would have crapped my pants.  Turns out my puppy somehow tripped the burglar alarm while I was out and they were just responding.  They told me that they had checked the house and everything was secure and that they assumed the dog tripped the alarm as they they saw Roxy at the front door.  Two of them asked me where the other one was as everyone knows we are the Husky house and there are always two or three.  I explained about Trent and told them Sasha the puppy was probably who did it.  One of the officers told me how he just lost a fairly young dog as well.  Then they got a call and took off with lights and sirens.

Very interesting.  I had not given this much thought.  Just curious why a UPS hub is OK, but not a UPS store?  Is there some legal distinction between them, or is it just more arbitrary NJ BS?

Not NJ - UPS policy. They want guns in the system the minimum amount of time possible (hence the next day shipping restriction also) to reduce the possibility of theft.

Very interesting.  I had not given this much thought.  Just curious why a UPS hub is OK, but not a UPS store?  Is there some legal distinction between them, or is it just more arbitrary NJ BS?

Not NJ - UPS policy. They want guns in the system the minimum amount of time possible (hence the next day shipping restriction also) to reduce the possibility of theft.

Also, UPS stores are privately owned franchises. They are not employees of UPS.

Had my neighbor not texted me I probably would have crapped my pants. Turns out my puppy somehow tripped the burglar alarm while I was out and they were just responding. They told me that they had checked the house and everything was secure and that they assumed the dog tripped the alarm as they they saw Roxy at the front door. Two of them asked me where the other one was as everyone knows we are the Husky house and there are always two or three. I explained about Trent and told them Sasha the puppy was probably who did it. One of the officers told me how he just lost a fairly young dog as well. Then they got a call and took off with lights and sirens.

When you apply for a dozen or so P2P's over the previous 12 months and then your alarm goes off, this is the kind of police response you get :heat:

When you apply for a dozen or P2P's over the previous 12 months and then your alarm goes off, this is the kind of police response you get  :heat:

It was a dozen over 14 months not 12! :)  Actually I was kind of surprised they were there as the alarm had gone off about 25 minutes earlier and had already shut off by the time I got home.  Guess they were just hanging out until the next call came in.

I'll play internet lawyer.   In my amateur opinion:

You are transporting "between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair." (NJS 2C:39-6.e) and the UPS hub is allowed because your "travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." (NJS 2C:39-6.g)

The UPS hub is reasonably necessary under the circumstances to get your gun to the manufacturer which is the place where firearms are repaired.