dajonga

Wise food infomercial

As I am flipping thru tv this morning, I come across a Wise food company infomercial hosted by Marie Osmond. I watched it for a bit. Never thought I would consider a product sold in a tv infomercial, but they made a very good pitch.

Is this food a decent brand?

Any other brands/types of long-term shelf stable food you would recommend to sock away for the next 12 day power outage? We had to leave our home on day 6 after Sandy, mostly due to cold, but at some point within a week we would have run out of food. 

Thanks.

I'm dubious about some of these places that sell emergency bug-out food. I once purchased a sampler from efoodsdirect.com. Much to my dismay, the stuff was TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) and not real freeze dried meat and/or poultry. IMHO, it tastes horrible.

I opted for #10 cans of fruits and veggies from Emergency Essentials (be prepared.com). They offer freeze dried, dehydrated, & MRE's. I like the fact that I can flavor my food the way I want. Mountain House and some other companies tend to over do it on the spices and sodium. If your prepping for someone on a low-sodium or diabetic diet this is something you need to be aware of.

A while ago I invested in some canned meats produced by Yoder's. In a bind they'll work, but the taste is blah. I'm looking into canning meats in my pressure cooker, but then the shelf life isn't as long. In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, we had healthy meals. One of my favorites was Polar canned salmon. It's available at Walmart for a little under $2 a tin.