Jfoster99

National Right to Carry

So according to Even Nappen and Scott Bach on today's GFH show, National Right to Carry is our nearest best hope...

For NJ residents there is no immediate change but once everyone in the country can carry in NJ except NJ residents we might be able lower the criteria for a resident carry permit.

That said for myself having a condo in Florida it would be no big deal to exchange my NJ drivers License for a Florida DL and be good to carry in NJ, NY, NYC, California, ect. National right to carry would do more for my ability to protect myself then had we won Drake which would only have allowed me to carry in NJ...

As Anthony mentioned on the show some may even go as far as to rent a furnished room in PA and claim dual residency under a PA drivers lic as a work around to carry in NJ.

One thing that comes to mind is that if National Right To carry does become federal law. What would stop places like NYC and NJ from ignoring it just like they do with FOPA?

Dual residency can = more taxes.

Precisely. When it's my time, I will re-establish primary domicile in my destination state, and renounce same in NJ (i.e. cancel voter registration, etc. etc.). I have to speak with my business lawyers about whether or not I need to transfer my business entity or not, but I will do that if I need to. Update the passport, file tax returns in the new state, re-do insurance, "advanced directives," "wills," etc.... All that good stuff.  I'm debating on whether or not to file FPID change of address. I won't need the FPID any more, as I would not intend to do any firearms activities, there, after I leave.

Most national carry proposals I've seen require a resident to have a permit from their state of residency to carry there. An out of state non resident permit won't do. Establishing some phony baloney rent a room address in another state is bound to create problems for you. Same with using a FID with an address you no longer live. Currently the only places New Jersey restricts carry by statute to those with permits is schools and courthouses. If a national carry reciprocity law went to affect, New Jersey would undoubtedly add a bunch of other places where carry was restricted.

While I am not a fan of required training to get a carry permit, I am a fan of training. A CCW course should be 20 -40 hrs to be of real value IMO.

I wouldn't expect a national right to carry with fewer than 60 Republican senators, so don't hold your breath.  Regarding Drake, one possible reason for not taking the case is that there are other cases working their way through the courts, e.g. Peruta.  The court may have wanted to let the issue percolate a bit more, or may have decided that one of the other cases will ultimately be better for resolving the may vs. shall issue conflict.  The Drake case is not the end of the fight in the courts.

This has been proposed a few times over a couple years now. It has not, and most likely will not go anywhere. There is no other case out there currently that is anywhere near a strong as Drake was. It seems every time this Scott Bach character is optimistic about something it goes nowhere. I won't listen to him anymore just because of this. Sorry to bust your bubble guys. If uoj really feel the need to carry a gun, move to one of the 44 States that are shall issue, have lower taxes, and no tolls.

If the NRA puts enough weight and money behind a national right to carry and it gets attached to a must have democrat backed bill it could happen... NRA recently announce it was one of their top priorities.

Drake was the end for the next 3 years or more until Peruta can progress... With a little luck National Right to Carry could be in place by then ... Ok, maybe a lot of luck, but certainly worth pushing while waiting for a solution thru the courts.

The cost of establishing residence in another state is a ridiculous price to pay for the right to carry a gun in NJ. Even a fleabag room will cost you $20/day or $600 a month. If you're wealthy enough to own two homes, one in NJ and one in PA, just move the fukc to PA and be done with it. 

As one poster noted, we will never have CC in this state as long as the democrats run the legislature. If you need to dream, dream about something attainable. Even if it's forced down their throats from God Almighty they will make it as difficult as possible. The legal system insulates them, all the way to the top, as the most recent Supreme Ct. decision shows.

I warned you all about Scalia and Alito. In Heller, the majority opinion (written by my paesano) in fact noted that state restrictions were not unconstitutional. 

STOP DREAMING and KVETCHING. START VOTING.

While i think nappen and bach would like to win a right to carry case for NJ( more for the status) i also think they have made millions of dollars fighting a losing fight and knowing they would lose.

It s all about the Benjamins always has been always will be. BTW voting in this state is a waste of time .Way to may liberals. We are politically out numbered. I'm moving out of this state just as fast as i can and hope i never have to come back.

NJ is only a lost cause if we play clean. We need to start playing dirty: run pro gun people as Dems to infiltrate the party, primary out the incumbents for corruption, then do a 180 in favor of 2A once elected. Combine this with a word of mouth, person to person sea change for gun culture.

This has been suggested a million times before by people who are more cunning/savvy than I am... and I think it is our only hope for change in NJ.

Does his client know this? I think somebody should tell him before he sends Nappen more money.

A lot of people forget Nappen is an attorney. He does that for a living. If you pay him to argue something for you he will do so no matter how futile, hopeless or ridiculous it is. I'm not saying he isn't a good attorney but you can only do what you can in a situation.

I think SCOTUS refused to hear the Drake case as its more a 10 A issue.

NJ is only a lost cause of we play clean. We need to start playing dirty: run pro gun people as Dems to infiltrate the party, primary out the incumbents for corruption, then do a 180 in favor of 2A once elected. Combine this with a word of mouth, person to person sea change for gun culture.

This has been suggested a million times before by people who are more cunning/savvy than I am... and I think it is our only hope for change in NJ.

I'd be willing to run as a Dem then flip on them (currently registered as Independent)...but I don't have the $$$$$$$$$ required to even start a campaign, let alone win.

I'd be willing to run as a Dem then flip on them (currently registered as Independent)...but I don't have the $$$$$$$$$ required to even start a campaign, let alone win.

You live in Warren County, your reps arent the problem.......unless you plan on moving to a Dem controlled area, you won't be able to help by running.

You live in Warren County, your reps arent the problem.......unless you plan on moving to a Dem controlled area, you won't be able to help by running.

Precisely.  Our reps (24th district) are fantastic!

Precisely. Our reps (24th district) are fantastic!

^^^ agreed we in the North West corner of the state vote for the right people. (Morris, Sussex, & Warren). The rest of the conservatives in NJ are the ones not doing their jobs. Too lazy to go out and vote, or their just not informed enough. At least thats what the statistics indicate.

While i think nappen and bach would like to win a right to carry case for NJ( more for the status) i also think they have made millions of dollars fighting a losing fight and knowing they would lose.

It s all about the Benjamins always has been always will be. BTW voting in this state is a waste of time .Way to may liberals. We are politically out numbered. I'm moving out of this state just as fast as i can and hope i never have to come back.

I don't know Nappen except through his book and his advocacy. I've met and corresponded with Bach a few times. He delivered a nice little talk at my initiation meeting at Cherry Ridge.

Both men are of indisputable character. Both can make a lot more money doing run-of-the-mill legal stuff. Instead they continue to live and practice law in this shithole.

I don't always agree with their tactics, as I've expressed numerous times here. But if I had to count on someone in this fight, it would be them.

you will never carry legally in nj....unless you are a cop. we will be lucky to have a firearm after Christie is out of office

I agree with this. The Dems will all but ban firearms. You can bet that the Jersey City Mayor Full-flop will be running for Governor.

The real problem is that we gun owners do not vote!!! We can swing an election of we come out and vote en masse.

Good luck on that. We couldn't even get enough to vote out Sweeney in his own district, and to top it off, one of our own groups endorsed him after he blatantly told us he was going to stick it to us!

Fat chance of anything positive now!

One still hopes though.

Newtonian for the record Bach gives the same speech at every member orientation at CR  He is also paid 150K, plus his private practice. I think hes doing pretty good in NJ

if you ask me..

Back to the topic , I stand by my initial response, It will never happen in NJ i don't care what laws are passed elsewhere. It is just not going to happen here. And there is no way i would

live in two states just to carry in a shithole i dont want to live in to begin with

It will never happen here because even you do not believe in your dream. But blaming someone else about it is so convenient.

Oneshot is right. It will never happen here because of demographics and politics, which go hand in hand. The only solution is to focus on vulnerable democrat districts and vote them out. But nobody is interested in that idea.