Sign in to follow this  
JSF01

Kit Firearms

I was searching Dixie Gun Works website for some replacement parts for my replica Colt Paterson, and I came across, their kit guns. Does Any one have any experience putting one together? I am interested in possibly putting together a cap and ball revolver since it would seem like a fun project, but I have no experience with this type of thing.

So if you have any experience I Have a few questions. What type of work do they require to finish? Is it pretty much just bolt every thing together, or is there more to it than that? What type of tools are typically required? Are there any other places that sell kits? Is a cap and ball revolver to advanced for a first time try, and should I try something else first?

IMHO as a first kit project I'd do a single-shot pistol like everybody else.  I'm a member of THREE (at one time, currently two) private clubs with black powder leagues.  Considering all of the 80+ folks that I've come into contact with, NONE of them ever built a revolver!  So what does THAT tell ya?

As the Country's first-ever NRA Distinguished Expert in Black Powder Pistol I've used quite a lot of black powder revolvers, having earned my DX with a reproduction Colt 1860 Army .44 cal made by Uberti.  If I were you, I would buy both a Remington and a Colt reproduction, learn how to make them work properly and what parts can fail and WHY and then attempt what you suggest.  If you try building one without having first had any experience of what "Good IS" as far as flawless function, you'll be "in the dark" attempting to put one together.

In addition to all of the above, I've never seen a kit for sale at some of the largest venues in the sport, so tread lightly..........

Dave

Uberti and Pietta are the leading companies making revolver repros these days.  They each make a lot, they each make the most popular, and they each make a couple that the other one doesn't make at all!

These days quality control is usually on par with the MSRP of the guns themselves.  Buying the cheapest brass-framed revolvers one can find sometimes leads to problems.  I'd put my money into the blued-steel guns that can take a steady diet of full-power charges of black powder, since they seem to have better fit and finish, especially in the timing and the factory wood stocks.  The case-hardening of the Uberti guns as well as the quality of the wood is exceptional value for the money!