njgunrunner

possible ccw trip to texas

If I remember correctly when they first Dropped Florida non-resident they wanted to close the "Mail Order CCW" loop hole. I think the number of people who would actually go to TX to get a CCW is so small that it will fly under the Radar...

Also, TX non Resident CCW has more reciprocity then Florida and is tied with Utah plus you pick up Reciprocity with New Mexico as a bonus. Renewal can be done online after five years so it is an excellent CCW to have regardless... Add in a "Guys" weekend of shooting and bull riding at a Texas Steer Ranch with like minded enthusiasts seems like a win-win regardless...

If I remember correctly when they first Dropped Florida non-resident they wanted to close the "Mail Order CCW" loop hole. I think the number of people who would actually go to TX to get a CCW is so small that it will fly under the Radar...

Also, TX non Resident CCW has more reciprocity then Florida and is tied with Utah plus you pick up Reciprocity with New Mexico as a bonus. Renewal can be done online after five years so it is an excellent CCW to have regardless... Add in a "Guys" weekend of shooting and bull riding at a Texas Steer Ranch with like minded enthusiasts seems like a win-win regardless...

Jeff you know you don't have to convince me. I love Texas, I would go for a weekend even if I didn't want the non resident. Also I believe FL non resident gets you New Mexico as well, at least according to the CCW app you recommend I download.

Then don't go publicizing it in an online forum. Seriously... you don't think they read what we post? Just go get your permit, do it on the down low. 

Then don't go publicizing it in an online forum. Seriously... you don't think they read what we post? Just go get your permit, do it on the down low.

Yeah probably right, half of what they know is from what we tell them. I would go read their forums but whenever I stumble upon any that are anti hunting especially the make me angry to even read. I could only imagine how an anti gun forum would cause me to react.

I'm sorry Ryan, I always try to be pessimistic about our gun rights. I don't want to stop fighting, or be a "Debbie Downer". I'm sure thats exactly what our opposition wants us to do, give up hope and go away. If its mass apply for a NJ CCW permit to get results I'm in.

I'm not saying you're wrong for being pessimistic, I just think that we haven't explored all of the options yet.

The PA/UT problem is a symptom of a bigger problem - NJ has no carry permits except for very few lucky or elite people. So I think we should look at fixing that before we go to great lengths to fix something in another state. 

Voting is one thing to do, and I think we need to push more gun owners out to the ballot box come election time. But there are other options, and let's not forget, we don't have a Democrat in the Governor's office at the moment. While he might not be pro gun, I think he's someone we can work with, especially since he wants to run for President. He has the power to make NJ a de-facto shall-issue state. I don't think he's getting enough pressure to do it. Maybe some people think I'm wrong about this. 

But there is a guy who I know who applied for a carry permit, and was denied by his police chief. He took it to court, and instead of just scheduling the hearing and denying him off the bat, they delayed him I think about 4 times already and even switched judges. His case is still pending. Not only that, but Christie's office has contacted his attorney to find out about his case. So clearly something is afoot. I'm not sure what, but I think we may have started getting their attention. 

I'm thinking about doing the CHL class this summer as well, but I have a planned trip to Texas already. Just need to book a flight.

My only qualm is having to fly out of Newark. After the Greg Revell incident I'm a bit concerned. But many of you fly out of Newark, no problems. 

I've asked before and not gotten an answer, but why is it that Revell got arrested and you guys don't? 

I'm thinking about doing the CHL class this summer as well, but I have a planned trip to Texas already. Just need to book a flight.

My only qualm is having to fly out of Newark. After the Greg Revell incident I'm a bit concerned. But many of you fly out of Newark, no problems.

I've asked before and not gotten an answer, but why is it that Revell got arrested and you guys don't?

I'm not familiar with the case. I will research it. Flew out of Newark to Orlando two weeks ago, with no issue whatsoever.

Revell was a Utah resident who stayed overnight in a hotel and was arrested when he tried to check his firearm in at Newark airport.

easy answer he wasn't allowed to spend the night in this state with his firearm. He had to either leave his bag checked at the airport over night or spend the night in NJ at a range. The second he took possession of the bag and wasn't on his way to a place where he was allowed to posses it, the law was broken.

I agree stupid law. That's why the reasonable deviation law sucks!

easy answer he wasn't allowed to spend the night in this state with his firearm. He had to either leave his bag checked at the airport over night or spend the night in NJ at a range. The second he took possession of the bag and wasn't on his way to a place where he was allowed to posses it, the law was broken.

I agree stupid law. That's why the reasonable deviation law sucks!

Wasn't he eventually found not guilty? Then he tried to sue the Port Authority for false arrest, but a judge through it out.

Wasn't he eventually found not guilty? Then he tried to sue the Port Authority for false arrest, but a judge through it out.

I have absolutely no idea. But now this case is sounding more familiar. I read about similar incidents happening in NY at JFK though.

Revell sued, and lost; the Third Circuit concluded that once he took the luggage in hand in New Jersey, it became “readily accessible,” and the FOPA immunity was lost. And this is indeed a sensible reading of the statutory text:

im lost, wouldn't our firearm be considered "readily accessible" the moment we take our luggage out of the car to check it in the air port?

flying out of the state might not be a reasonable deviation by whoever the leo is youre dealing with, so it seems like a hit or miss

you might get arrested but the chances of the prosecutor pursuing charges are slim to none, but do you really want to spend a few nights in jail?

So you leave a few minutes early, stop at a range in PA and then proceed on to the airport. When leaving PRNJ, your purpose was to transport to a shooting range, after leaving the range, you're in Free America where you can travel unmolested to your destination.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

why not just fly out of Philly or Leigh valley to be safe?

I actually looked into flying to Florida from PA. No direct flight to Orlando, & it was more expensive than flying from Newark. Plus Newark is only a 45min ride philthy is 2 hours away.

So you leave a few minutes early, stop at a range in PA and then proceed on to the airport. When leaving PRNJ, your purpose was to transport to a shooting range, after leaving the range, you're in Free America where you can travel unmolested to your destination.

this only works if youre flying out of PA, what if youre flying out of newark?

Or...maybe a Port Authority PO could answer the question....now where could we find one of them??? BLF, any ideas?

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

my cousin is port authority, ill ask him.

I'm not familiar with the case. I will research it. Flew out of Newark to Orlando two weeks ago, with no issue whatsoever.

I think the issue was whether FOPA applies once you go from your car to the airport. As a NJ resident traveling under one of the exemptions (traveling to a range,) I don't think you should have any problems. As someone else posted, probably a good idea to keep a receipt from the range on your way back, so if you're stopped at the airport, you can show that you were traveling from a range.

I have absolutely no idea. But now this case is sounding more familiar. I read about similar incidents happening in NY at JFK though.

NYC is a different beast, because there, you're not allowed to take your handgun outside of the city. You're allowed to travel between your home or place of business, the one range in Manhattan, or a gun shop. Period. No out of state ranges. I think there was a lawsuit where some guys wanted to attend an out of state IDPA match and were denied. In NJ, we're "lucky," because the law doesn't stipulate the range has to be within the state.

I don't know why all this stopping at a range stuff is suggested. I have flown numerous times from Newark and JFK and checked a handgun. I have never had to deal with PAPD anytime.

If you get stopped at EWR, you

I don't know why all this stopping at a range stuff is suggested. I have flown numerous times from Newark and JFK and checked a handgun. I have never had to deal with PAPD anytime.

If you get stopped at EWR and you were going to or from a range, you have a very good defense.

I don't see any situation in which you can defend yourself at JFK, as stopping at an airport doesn't fit into any of the exemptions. Even if going to an out of state range, you're out of luck, because it's established law that you can't transport your gun to a range outside of city limits, and FOPA doesn't protect you the moment you step out of your car.

If you get stopped at EWR, you

If you get stopped at EWR and you were going to or from a range, you have a very good defense.

I don't see any situation in which you can defend yourself at JFK, as stopping at an airport doesn't fit into any of the exemptions. Even if going to an out of state range, you're out of luck, because it's established law that you can't transport your gun to a range outside of city limits, and FOPA doesn't protect you the moment you step out of your car.

IIRC all the arrests at JFK were people who flew into NYC with their gun , stayed in NYC, and were leaving with their gun. It wasn't legal for them to have the gun in NYC so there's no FOPA protection .