big five

1st GSSF matcg june 14/15

I'll be there, haven't decided which day yet.  Minimum round count per division you shoot is 81 rounds (if you hit all steel on the first shot).  I'd bring 150 per division in case you need to do a re-shoot on a stage.  Make sure your Glock is legal for GSSF - mostly stock unless you're shooting Unlimited.  At least 4 mags would be good so you don't have to reload mags in the middle of a stage.  You don't need a holster or mag pouches; all shooting starts from low ready. 

You can see the ruleboook here:  http://gssfonline.com/hot-topics.cfm and a description of the stages here:  http://gssfonline.com/courses.cfm

You only need to go one day.  You shoot all 3 stages.  3 runs on 5 to Glock and Glock M and 4 runs on the Plates.  So for the Plates you'll need 4 mags or else you'll have to reload a mag while standing on the line.  And if you only have 10 round mags you'll want to start with 11 in the gun so it's nice to have a 5th mag to make topping off easier.

I've been doing great in the local GSSF practice matches, where they allow any handgun to enter.   Too bad the actual match disallows my 1911, to level the playing field and make the Glocks competitive.    :-)

There are a lot of give aways. Musically the guy that places first, gets a gun. Ten the rest is a lottery. For me, I do it for the lottery and the enjoyment. It's a lot d fun with some good people.

Sign up online is what I have been told, the line can get very long to do it in person the day of the match.  This is a fairly simple match, no running or hiding under cover and no need to draw from a holster.  If you have never done any competition and have a Glock this is a great place to try - you won't regret it.  Also if you have never shot competition it is very different than bulls eye shooting.  You don't need perfect shots, and tight double tap shots are not needed either.  Speed is more important than accuracy - to a point.  You can't miss everything fast enough to win but the second ring on the target is no more points than the first.  And for the steel plates it does not matter if you hit the outer part or dead center.  Go for it!

Luckily nj makes it very easy to borrow a glock from a friend while you wait for yours to get here. Next year

Actually aren't you allowed to use a friend's gun at a range as long as they are there with you?

yes. but my friend isn't available. I'm already booked solid that weekend. just bummed because it looks fun

. There is another match I believe in early august in Topton Pa which is not all that far I am told.

Its $25 per category you shoot, you can shoot multiple categories if you so desire.  You have to be a GSSF member but can join on the spot if you are not.  I think the cost is $35 a year.  When you renew you get a certificate to get a blue label (discount) Glock.  If you sign up for two years up front for $60 you get the certificate up front.

Petty cool, I'm going to ask a buddy if I can borrow one to shoot.

Thanks Howard.

This is NJ, you can only do that if he is there with you, otherwise it is an illegal transfer - got to love the law ;)