dajonga

590 v. 500 v. 88

I am not usually a fan of the "help me decide which gun to buy" threads, but I would welcome some input....

Background.... I had a Mossberg 500a, 12 gauge with 18" and a long barrel. I traded it for a Mossberg 500c, 20 gauge, with 18" and a long barrel, thinking 12 was too stout a round for my 12 year old and my wife.

After a recent trip to Cabellas in Delaware, I had an epiphany.... Shelf after shelf of 12, very little 20.

So, I want to add a 12 back to into the stable.

I have a line on a used 590, not A1, 8+1, that I think I can get for $300 out the door. It has some cosmetic flaws and a god awful ATI folder on it that I would sell to fund a real wood stock.

Or.... There is a 500, 5+1, in the marketplace now for $300 stand alone, $400 with goodies.

I was leaning to the Maverick 88, but I now think I want to keep the manual of arms the same, ie safety location.

Opinions?

I have chosen Mossberg over Remington for 3 reasons... the ambi safety, bolt release button location and the loading gate configuration.

Gun is for HD and for range fun. No hunting in my future.

My HD shotguns are 20 gauge as well. I went with that because my bird gun (turkey/upland) is already a 20 ga and my wife is much better and more comfrotable shooting the smaller shell. 

That said, I've never had any trouble finding 20 ga shells of any kind. I think the availablity is proportional to the demand. So while stores stock more 12 than 20, they also sell a lot more12 than 20, making the availability about the same.

I would look around (local and online) at the loads you use most and see what's actual available. If there's soemthing you can't find, then yeah you might want  to add a 12 ga. Otherwise, you're probably good to go.

I appreciate all the replies.

I picked up the used 590 today. I actually prefer to buy used guns as they are already depreciated a bit and I can get most of my money out them iffen I change my mind.

I will try it with the ATI folding stock and swap it out for something else if I do not care for it. 

Anyone have any Mossberg 500 wood furniture to sell?