Scorpio64

Dialing In a Thread Protector.

I'm about to have my thread protector permanently attached, pinned and welded, but have a question before it's attachment becomes irreversible.  Should the TP protrude beyond the crown or should I screw it on all the way, and should I still use a crush washer even though it will be pinned and welded?

Never done one - just flying by the seat of my pants here, but I would think that if it weren't tight against the muzzle you would get carbon and powder fowling build-up between the muzzle and the inner face of the protector, with no way to clean it out. Just my $.02 worth.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

There are a few factors that play into the answer.

I agree with Bob, and would install the TP by screwing it all the way down 

till it sits flush with the crown.

Now, once that is done, is there any space between the end on the cap and the 

shoulder on the barrel? Hopefully not, because there would be no need to install

a crush washer other than if there were space that needed to be taken up.

If you guy is an "expert welder" I wouldn't pin the cap, because they are so thin that

the pin really doesn't help anything - I would drill a hole in the TP and into the barrel

and lay in a tack weld. .........

With the TP screwed on tight without a washer, the crown protrudes by about 1/32 of an inch.  In other words, the TP would be recessed and the crown unprotected.

With a crush washer, the TP will likely stick out  beyond the crown, probably by 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch.

If the TP is screwed on, without a any type of washer, so that it's flush with the crown, there will be a 1/32 inch gap between the ass end of the TP and the barrel shoulder.  In this instance I would use a paper thin washer to fill the gap.

We are going to drill the TP and barrel in one step with a tapered bit, drive in the pin and weld the pin in place.  I may even use a very tiny drop of  LocTite on the threads for good measure.  I know loctite is not BATF approved, it will be used only to prevent any vibration so the barrel harmonics remain stable.

I'm not a gunsmith either but I would probably drill and plug weld like JT suggested also. Its not like you may ever change your mind and want to swap thread protectors by drilling out the pin like you may with a muzzle brake.

Hey guys, I appreciate the input on how to secure the thread protector but the question I need answered is about alignment with the crown.  The best answer I got so far is to mount the TP flush with the crown and use a washer to fill in the gap between the barrel shoulder and the back end of the TP.

If anyone has a better answer than this let me know.

I was under the mistaken impression that there was a "face" to the thread protector. I understand now that it is only an open-faced sleeve. So, yes, align it flush with the crown. Since it is going to permanently affixed the need for a washer to take up the space between the back of the TP sleeve and the shoulder on the barrel, would be for aesthetics only. If this were going to be left removable (as in a free state), then, yes you would want to be able to tighten it down against the shoulder and use a dab of LocTite blue.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

No loctite on those threads --  You will have no way to clean the portion of the threads near the weld after screwing the protector on

The loctite will contaminate the weld area and could cause porosity in the weld when it heats up

Hey guys, I appreciate the input on how to secure the thread protector but the question I need answered is about alignment with the crown. The best answer I got so far is to mount the TP flush with the crown and use a washer to fill in the gap between the barrel shoulder and the back end of the TP.

If anyone has a better answer than this let me know.

Pictures would have helped, just saying for next time maybe...

crazy story.. and I know its just because I was thinking about this before I went to bed... but I had a dream that we had this conversation in person... weird since I never met you and have no idea what you look like.. lol

Was their a Unicorn in this dream like the one Newtonian had? :lol:

crazy story.. and I know its just because I was thinking about this before I went to bed... but I had a dream that we had this conversation in person... weird since I never met you and have no idea what you look like.. lol

You didn't lend your handgun to your mother in law by any chance did you?