danw77

Fishing Near Fairfield

I just recently moved to the Fairfield area. I'm looking for a local spot to go fishing with the kids. I drive over/past the Passaic River almost every day, but haven't found a place to access it. Anyone know of a place to do so? Or maybe another place that's good to take kids? I grew up fishing Round Valley, Spruce Run, and the South Branch in Hunterdon County. I've taken the kids a few times, but it's just to far to travel when the kids get bored after an hour or so anyway. Thanks in advance!

I drive on Horseneck road every day and the only spots I've seen people fish is by the brigde/overpass area close to the Trap range before the mountain. People just park on the shoulder and camp out in their chairs casting their lines into the river.

If you have a small boat, kayak or canoe you can launch from this area on Camp Lane Road. (Pike fishing in the Passaic in this area is very good.)

https://maps.google.com/maps?bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.68445247,d.cWc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.hKiVy-E3KVo.O&biw=1152&bih=701&q=camp+lane,+fairfield+NJ&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c3016cb303c627:0xff3da45ae2fe30e2,Camp+Ln,+Fairfield,+NJ+07004&gl=us&sa=X&ei=_CySU-3QIse-sQTi8YHoCw&ved=0CB8Q8gEwAA

The Ramapo Reservation area in Bergen County isn't a far ride from Fairfield and the small ponds up there are perfect for panfish for kids.

If you're just looking to fish from the shore, I see people fishing right by Two Bridges on the Fairfield Rd side across from the sewage treatment plant. There is a little pull off there and I see people fishing there pretty often. I think you can also access the river from Pequannock River Park https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pequannock+River+Park/@40.907144,-74.270017,779m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c301797e71ec8d:0x2178e3898853a6fa?hl=en

Good luck!

I don't think you are that fer from the Rockaway river or the Boonton reservoir.  The Rockaway river is stocked with trout in many places. 

I don't know if it is still open but the Boonton reservoir was opened to the public after being closed for many years, you had to buy a permit but they only cost $15-$20 for the season.  The first year it opened we pulled many monster bass from that lake, some in the 5-6 lb range.