AlDente67

Cx4 Storm? Opinions?

So there I was at Heritage Guild over the weekend, and they had a few storms for sale for around $800...in 9mm, 45, and I think one other caliber.

Does anyone have any experience with this model?  It looked interesting as a short and light rifle, but I didn't think to ask if I could test it.  I've been itching to add a 45 pistol to my collection, but I stop short when I think about the whole pistol application process in my town.

I owned one for a couple years and liked it for the most part. I sold it to my brother to fund an AR-15. I am financially challenged and can only afford 1 fighting rifle.

I prefer the AR platform for the ease of customization and the wide availability of replacement parts. I also find the AR to be a softer shooting gun.

Iv shot one and there is a member who has a few of them... They are fun.

ill ask him to chime in here

I love my CX4s.  Lots of fun to shoot, accurate out of the box, soft shooting.  Interchangeable mags with my 92FS is a lot of fun for handgun/carbine training classes,  you can never reach for the wrong mag.  I loved the 9mm so much I bought the CX4 .40 to go with my PX4.

Its a fun rifle to shoot. I have it in 9mm and while most people complain about the trigger pull, I don't find it terrible it just has some play in it.  The newer versions are a little better as well since the forend has more grip.

Everyone seems to love them .... they physically seem to be faultless, very nice little shooters and you know it's good quality as it's Beretta, plus 9mm which is plentiful, cheap, and plenty of variety  

My problem is the looks.  And listen, I WANTED BADLY to convince myself to buy one (Because I love pistol-caliber carbines for many reasons, I will not go into a doctoral dissertation but I think they're great and perfect for several uses.) ... but I just cant do the looks.  The fact they're not real modular either (Like if you hate the look of a bone-stock "M4" style el-cheapo AR-15 or the government plain-jane M16-style rifle, you can always modify them into the baddest shooters this side of the Delaware River with a few, a bunch , or a ton of mods/accessories/add-ons.  This platform doesn't really change much.

If the CX-4 looked like the Sig MPX *or* was more based on an AR- which would allow some modular modifications/options for upgrading, and it was still ~$500 it would be the best selling long-gun this side of the 10/22 or 15-22   - awesome gun but I don't dig the Starship Troopers looks. Plus its way more expensive than it used to be. 

I absolutely love mine.  I bought it to go along with my 92FS (mag interchangeability) and did not like the look of it very much.  BUT, when you bring it to your shoulder and shoot it, the weird space gun looks are quickly forgotten.  It is very accurate and easy to shoot.  No recoil to speak of and it comes home quickly for follow up shots.  It mounts to my shoulder like it was made for me.

Love it love it and will never sell it.

Have one, like it, doubt I'll ever sell it as well.  It's a gentle introduction to long guns for first time shooters, the girlfriend loves it.  Low recoil tack driver.

Trigger is sloppy out of the box but can be upgraded.  If you get one, check this place out for upgrade parts:

http://sierrapapacx4.com/

I had a 9mm version and sold it to a friend. I had two .40 cal versions, sold one, kept the other. Must have an easy 5000 rounds through it, cleaned it two or three times.......... It just works! I use it for Knockdown Steel all the time. It is one of my favorite guns. It is also the UGLIEST gun I own!

If you can find one for less than $600 is good condition, buy it.

I may just get another one or two of them, just can't go wrong with them.

I have a CX4 in 9mm with a red dot sight and it has been a fantastic carbine.  Very accurate for what it is and I do not think the trigger is horrible.  Its a lot of fun and I like the ability to shoot a rifle (that's not a boring 22lr) indoors.  

I am also thinking of using it for a Steel knockdown match since its way more accurate than my ability with pistols! 

14068348120_df02be9d41_z.jpg

I have a CX4 in 9mm with a red dot sight and it has been a fantastic carbine.  Very accurate for what it is and I do not think the trigger is horrible.  Its a lot of fun and I like the ability to shoot a rifle (that's not a boring 22lr) indoors.  

I am also thinking of using it for a Steel knockdown match since its way more accurate than my ability with pistols! 

14068348120_df02be9d41_z.jpg

What sight is that?  My eyes fail me.

Did the front handle come with it or you added that on yourself?  I see that they have the fixed one for cheap, or a fold-able version for a bit more on their site.

What sight is that?  My eyes fail me.

Did the front handle come with it or you added that on yourself?  I see that they have the fixed one for cheap, or a fold-able version for a bit more on their site.

Its a Bushnell TR-25, a surprisingly nice red dot for the price.  Co-witness with the iron sights.  

The CX4 does not come with a front grip.  You need to buy the bracket that has the rails on the bottom and sides in order to mount a front grip to the bottom.  My front grip is a shorty that was very cheap on Amazon.  The full sized front grips are too large for the smaller CX4 imo.  

Rail: http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-cx4-bottom-and-side-accessory-rail-kit/e00270/

I don't think you will get the info you're looking for here- I don't think there is a right or wrong answer as neither the 9 nor 45 model of this carbine has a flaw or benefit that could be quantified in the way you want.  Now if you just wanted a 9 or 45 type debate, of course that could happen but that is neither what you or really anyone wants i would think.

If I may be so bold and offer unsolicited advice , (which you can of course pay no mind to or curse me for etc) I would suggest you decide on, what is a better choice (of caliber) For YOU.  Do you use 9mm or .45 at the moment, because that could be a big deal.  I recently bought myself a 9mm handgun over a .45ACP handgun for many reasons but no small part in the fact I use 9mm already and my family member I shoot the most with/ plan survival with also has 9mm but does not have .45ACP so it was a plus for me.

Ammo price and availability can always be in the conversation, in this case I do not see one having a big go/no go over the other because they are both two of the most popular rounds in the country/world.  But small things can be compared.  9mm is invariably cheaper.  Usually easy to find.  But because it's so popular it's also one of the first to be selling off a shelf.  .45ACP definiely hits harder but its more expensive.  I will say, however, everywhere *I HAVE* shopped since 12/'12, has always had .45ACP on the shelves, but always much more expensive than other pistol calibers.  This includes the Walmart in Florida I just moved to.. they always have plenty and I mean plenty of .45ACP ammos on the shelf but it's not cheap in the least.

As far as specific to this carbine- keep the comparison simple.  The .45ACP version will definitely have more "oomph" but it will have more recoil as well... I have read people not liking .45ACP carbines because of the feeling and others of course swear by it. 

me PERSONALLY, I would like my pistol caliber carbines in 9mm.  The only real reason I do not own an HK USC is because they were .45ACP only.  there was 3 separate times I really wanted one, and all three I wound up passing.  If they offered it in 9mm I would have owned one in early 2010 easy.  However I know there are people who would say, "I would not own one if it WASN'T in .45ACP'  And I totally understand.  To me the pistol caliber carbine is all about fun shooting, cheap ammo, convenience,  and the possible use in the defense of the home, homestead, or if the world changes into a SHTF situation.  In all of those scenarios I would prefer it to be 9mm so that would be my answer.   

You just figure out what works best for YOU.  because I can not see either the 9mm or .45ACP version being better than the other or worse, only better or worse for a particular person.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. It is much appreciated!!!

The 45 version uses less easily found, and more expensive, Beretta Cougar 8045 magazines. Their capacity is only 8 rounds. The long barrel really helps small and fast calibers like 9mm. If you chrono the 45acp out of the Storm, it won't be much different than from a 1911. The 9mm will be a few hundred fps faster. The 40S&W is somewhere in the middle.

I had one in 45, I always said it shoots like a laser it was so accurate. Even my son who is in the army and shoots ARs all day said "omg! What the hell!" And then he proceeded to rip off the bushnell tr-25 I had on her and said "this thing is too accurate you dont need a red dot!" He absolutely loved it... there was a guy who made custom mag extension to make them 15 rounders here is the site. http://sierrapapacx4.com/

Here is the one I had she was loaded.

bed8264d.jpg