lunker

See what happens when you leave New Jersey

I was a New Jerseyan my entire life until two months ago. I was lucky enough to have my job agree to a transfer to our New Hampshire office, and away we (I and my family) went. Freed from idiotic firearms (and other) laws, here is my rifle of choice. 

D26F3154-7519-4C3C-859A-AB8E2D701540_zps

951CEA6A-09D5-4A11-AFCD-078FD907C660_zps3EECFBA4-8253-4785-8F8C-5AE965DEBEAC_zps

This is an Arsenal SGL-31, based on a Saiga rifle in 5.45x39. It has a RS Regulate rail and Aimpoint H1 that allows for a lower 1/3 iron sight cowitness. I much prefer its position to the Ultimak, and it doesn't get subjected to the extreme heat on the gas tube. I put on a VLTOR AK conversion tube and a Bravo B5 adjustable stock to replace the stubby Warsaw length stock. The rifle shoots great. It is easy to ring 12"x24" steel at 200 yards. And it has enough evil features, not including 30 round magazines, to make Loretta Weinberg shitt herself.  :)

I dream of one day making it to the free states.  I was in NH for work a few years ago and went into a shop where I wanted to purchase a rifle.  We had a brief misunderstanding when I asked him what the "out the door" price was for the rifle.  He asked me what I was talking about with a perplexed face.  Apparently there is no tax or NICS fee in NH.  I never wanted to move more in my life.  Needless to say I left with the rifle lol. 

Happy for you and jealous at the same time

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes, same here! 

But...I am meeting with a recruiter this afternoon so maybe some movement in a job outside of NJ!

No income or sales taxes? How does the state get cash to run things?

Higher property taxes, gasoline taxes, higher fees for govt. services,  higher "corporate" taxes, etc, etc. 

Florida also has no income state income tax either, but it has a sales tax (and counties and municipalities can impose other taxes). 

Higher property taxes, gasoline taxes, higher fees for govt. services, higher "corporate" taxes, etc, etc.

Florida also has no income state income tax either, but it has a sales tax (and counties and municipalities can impose other taxes).

Now this is odd.

NJ has higher property taxes, higher fees for services, higher corporate taxes, high county and state taxes, yet we still have a high sales and a high income tax, all over NH. How can this be?

I also find it funny that people in NJ tout low gas tax and gas prices. There are already pending increases on the works, don't worry, it will be fixed!

When I visited my brother in Ohio last month, gas was maybe 10-20 cents more. Lets take 20 cents more. If you drive 12k miles per year at a low 20mpg, that extra 20 cents comes out to a bank breaking $120 per year. Now I may be bad at math, but I would rather pay an extra $100-$200 per year in gas if my property taxes were $6,000 less per year. The problem is people cringe when they see the $60 total at the pump, but that thousand dollar monthly payment for property taxes is conveniently buried deep within your mortgage payment.

Higher property taxes, gasoline taxes, higher fees for govt. services,  higher "corporate" taxes, etc, etc. 

Registering my wife's car, a 2013 Honda Pilot, was around $750. They are taking into account the fact that you don't pay sales tax when you purchase a car in New Hampshire. Except that I DID pay sales tax when I bought the car in New Jersey. :(

Now this is odd.

NJ has higher property taxes, higher fees for services, higher corporate taxes, high county and state taxes, yet we still have a high sales and a high income tax, all over NH. How can this be?

Relativity. In my response, I was comparing NJ to FL, where I visit often, where I'm also incorporated as a "Foreign LLC," and would very much like to relocate, permanently.  Relative to FL, NJ is a different dynamic, and the tax structure reflects that.

FL has no income tax. What it has is a lot more land than NJ.  It also has more people than NJ (21 million est. by 2020, as opposed to 9 million in NJ), but (unlike NJ) most are retired and aren't working. They do, however, own land.  So it makes sense to build a tax structure based on land/property values than on wage/income production. Since it is more land and more people owning land, the tax rates can seem a lot lower than NJ, as long as the total revenue collected makes up for FL's  budgeted needs (which may also be different than NJ). Another place FL makes up for it is with Govt/Bus. fees. My LLC annual (and other) fees are 3 times greater in FL than in NJ. And yes, Fuel taxes and other consumer items (groceries) are higher in FL. Not to mention, all the different "county" and "municipal" taxes imposed in FL, in addition to state property taxes.... Although, FL does seem to have cheaper insurance (health, Auto,etc.).

I also find it funny that people in NJ tout low gas tax and gas prices. There are already pending increases on the works, don't worry, it will be fixed!

Then that will be another reason to leave the state. I'm not so sure that those taxes will go up all that quickly (why haven't they, already?), as I'm thinking the oil companies will try and lobby to keep them low. Higher taxes means less demand for gasoline and less revenue/profit for the oil companies. If the pump price is to increase, better it be in  a way that means increased revenue for the oil company than for the Govt.  Furthermore, a minor component is production/distribution costs. Since many if not most of the refineries are in NJ and Tx,  the costs to distribute locally are a bit less than having to truck it all the way to the west and south. Even within NJ itself, the prices are much lower as you get closer to the refinery locations, than compared to further away, within the state.

Registering my wife's car, a 2013 Honda Pilot, was around $750. They are taking into account the fact that you don't pay sales tax when you purchase a car in New Hampshire. Except that I DID pay sales tax when I bought the car in New Jersey. :(

And they didn't give you credit for that?  Can you not deduct it from your NH tax return (albeit for just "interest and dividends")?

And they didn't give you credit for that?  Can you not deduct it from your NH tax return (albeit for just "interest and dividends")?

New Hampshire only has a capital gains tax. I'm not sure I am going to have a NH tx return since all of my stock holdings are IRAs and 401Ks. I guess my accountant will let me know. 

I just bought a truck from a dealer in Vermont, but the sales guy lived in NH. I asked him about the lack of sales tax thing in NH, and he explained that they charge you a lot register your vehicle in NH for the first few years, but then the rate goes down as the vehicle gets older (or the longer you have it?). I wonder what they do there with heavy trucks (over 26,000 lbs), in NJ, as in most states, there is no sales tax on heavy trucks, but you pay more to register them since NJ charges registration fees by gross vehicle weight.

No income or sales taxes? How does the state get cash to run things?

NH is not an infested den of trough swillers, patronage pits and bad court rulings that mandate wasteful spending, unlike NJ, so they can exist on a much lower budget. They make most of their money running state owned liquor stores and lotteries. Property taxes are considered high there, but still probably cheaper than NJ. As far as the fees in NH go, Lunker will need to enlighten us as to whether or not they are worse than NJ.........

I hope you don't have to register it every year for that price.

I hope you don't have to register it every year for that price.

Probably does. Same here in AZ. Price is dependent upon Make, Model, and Year. It should drop down considerably each year for ten years.

Probably does. Same here in AZ. Price is dependent upon Make, Model, and Year. It should drop down considerably each year for ten years.

Same here in SC, I paid about $130ish this year on my 02 Silverado.  Its called personal property tax.  Most people just fix up their cars down here, as opposed to purchasing a new one.  Land is cheaper and so are taxes.  I'd rather take that than a new car every 5 years.

Property taxes are considered high there, but still probably cheaper than NJ. 

My NH property taxes went down by over 25% this year --

Last year taxes where $110 or so -- This year the bill came in at $76.76     ----  Thats for the entire year

51 acres in the town of Warner no house just land --   300+ feet of road frontage with power, phone, cable TV at the street --  point is it's far from the middle of nowhere   

I saw this property listed at 199,000 when real estate was booming --  At that price I didn't even look at it

The price eventually made it's way down into the 150's and I started to get interested -- contacted the real estate agent, walked it with the owner

Our final purchase price, all said and done was under $110,000

Time from 1st saw it listed to day of closing was just under 2 years

I'm not sure what it's worth today but it doesn't matter -- it's not for sale

If you look on a map it's about 4 minutes out of downtown warner NH but you wouldn't know civilization was so close when you're there

Between the chandler reservation and contoocook river

Registering my wife's car, a 2013 Honda Pilot, was around $750. They are taking into account the fact that you don't pay sales tax when you purchase a car in New Hampshire

You will be paying it every year as cars are taxed under each town's tax rate as property. However every year as the vehicles depreciate the cost goes down. As far as a NH tax return, if all your investments are IRA's and 401's then you won't pay. I let an accountant handle it.

What does a chunk of land like that go for up there?

Like anywhere it depends. A 50 x 75 in rye could go for a million. Way up north you can get an acre to not much but you have to drill the well, and install septic. Then you might have to run electric. A lot next to mine sold a few years back for almost 100K for a 2.4 acre parcel. But this area (Seacoast)  is the most expensive in the state.

My real estate agent was from Warner. Felt bad she had to drive down south every time I came up to look at homes in the seacoast area.