D. Stallone

Any Surprises When Purchasing First Gun?

I know this may sound like e newbie question but, are there any surprises that I should be aware of when I go next Friday to purchase my Glock? For example, since we live in New Jermeny, is there an outrageous tax on the gun I should be wary of? I just want to go in and be prepared for anything that may come up.

No real surprises that I can think of but in my case NICS do take some time to come back with an approval...Ira,my FFL, thinks that perhaps there is someone with a similar name with issues that might cause a delay but the approval usually come up after a couple hours.

The one thing that inevitably occurs is the itch to get all the accessories and upgrades for the firearm IMMEDIATELY which is not always wise or financially feasible.

Congrats on the purchase, while sometimes unjustly maligned a Glock is an excellent first pistol.

My surprise was realizing that I needed to buy quite a few extra things along with my first gun. Cleaning accessories specifically, but also a range bag, ear plugs, and all those shooting accessories. 

The biggest surprise was how ammo seemingly disappears rapidly. So be ready to start buying more of it!

Hey NICS will be easy, if you did it around this time a year ago it could take two weeks!  Enjoy.  Just remember the transport laws in NJ so you don't end up with free room, board and health insurance for two years ;)

My surprise was realizing that I needed to buy quite a few extra things along with my first gun. Cleaning accessories specifically, but also a range bag, ear plugs, and all those shooting accessories. 

The biggest surprise was how ammo seemingly disappears rapidly. So be ready to start buying more of it!

So far, the only things I got for it is the Truglo night sights and a tac light. And I received my ranger bag from Amazon today, holds my ammo real well.

And even when I rented a few guns, I noticed that the ammo disappeared very quickly lol. I do have three boxes of American Eagle rounds and my father is going to send me home from Illinois with a few boxes as well, so I think I`m well off lol.

Be aware of transport laws. Read and understand them.

Believe you me, I read, re-read, and read them again. I don`t need nor want to give a cop a reason to give me a summons for "improper transport of a firearm".

All it should be is the sticker price + 7% tax (3.5% if it's in an enterprise zone) + $15 for NICS. Some shops may charge more for NICS or add tax to it but that doesn't seem too common.

I`ll be going to Howell Gun Works after I get out of work next Friday. So $549 for the G 19 + .07% + $15 for NICS = $604. That`s not too bad. That`s assuming that they will charge .07% on the NICS as well.

And even when I rented a few guns, I noticed that the ammo disappeared very quickly lol. I do have three boxes of American Eagle rounds and my father is going to send me home from Illinois with a few boxes as well, so I think I`m well off lol.

Three boxes??? That's one trip to the range for me!

I have about a three month supply on hand at all times assuming I'm going twice a month.

Ammo is now one of my biggest expenses, that's why I learned to reload!

I know this may sound like e newbie question but, are there any surprises that I should be aware of when I go next Friday to purchase my Glock? 

I was surprised at how many more gun purchases it led to...

Three boxes??? That's one trip to the range for me!

I have about a three month supply on hand at all times assuming I'm going twice a month.

Ammo is now one of my biggest expenses, that's why I learned to reload!

Yes, only three boxes lol. Like I said, my dad is going to be sending me home with at least two. And when I get back, I`ll most certainly be getting more. I want to have at least 5 or 6 boxes at all times so I can have at least three, maybe four to go to the range with.

I was surprised at how many more gun purchases it led to...

I have two P2P`s. I`m getting my first next Friday, and I`m already thinking about what I should use my second one on.

I have two P2P`s. I`m getting my first next Friday, and I`m already thinking about what I should use my second one on.

Here is some unsolicited advice I offered in another thread (which also contains some other opinions on the subject).

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/57708-first-hangun-advice/?p=739000

I think you will enjoy the G19.  It is simple and as reliable as a rock.  You may wish to upgrade the sights as that is the single most common upgrade, but shoot it a bit first before doing anything.  I would add a couple more mags, but Glock provides 3 with a new gun, which is more than most manufacturers.

As for the second permit, you might want to rent a few guns to see what you like.  I would suggest something in .22 as it should be cheap to shoot once .22 ammo becomes available again.

Yes, only three boxes lol. Like I said, my dad is going to be sending me home with at least two. And when I get back, I`ll most certainly be getting more. I want to have at least 5 or 6 boxes at all times so I can have at least three, maybe four to go to the range with.

You should start thinking about ammo in terms of cases.

:)

Save that empty brass.  For reasons that will appear later.

I started doing that about a few months ago, I now have about 30 or 40 pounds of that crap but have no idea what to do with it.  I wonder if I can melt it down and make a nice serving tray or something.

I started doing that about a few months ago, I now have about 30 or 40 pounds of that crap but have no idea what to do with it.  I wonder if I can melt it down and make a nice serving tray or something.

If you want to get rid of them I'll take em :)

This is absolutely correct..   4-6 boxes..  lol..  you will find out really quickly that if you have less than 500 rounds at any time, you will feel naked

I have already looked at my range bag where I have the three boxes sitting there and said, "You guys need more company".

Like I said in an earlier post, I am not going to get any more boxes until I come back from my dads in July. Than once I know how many he`s going to send me back with, than I`ll figure out how many more boxes I want to get. I think having ten will more than sufficient...for now

Since half of my guns are now revolvers I've found my ammo consumption per visit have decreased but 250 to 300 rounds a visit was not uncommon.