Displaced Texan

Colt 901 Modular Carbine: it's here!

Anyone here own a Colt 901 Modular Carbine?

I just bought one on GB, and have a few questions. It will be a week or so before my FFL gets it, then we have to make it compliant.

Which brake did you use? Think I might use the BattleComp, but it's bloody pricy!

Ammo preferences?

Optics? Thought about another ACOG, but am open to variable magnification optics.

Magazines?

Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated!

LOL, yeah, I didn't quite think of it that way! I guess when you put in perspective like that, $200 is chump change.

I have a Battle Comp 1.0 on one of my AR's, but only have a few rounds downrange with it. I like it so far. Was hoping for other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

I'd take a hard look at a low power variable optic. I have a 1-8.5 FFP Bushnell coming for my SPR and I think something like that would be perfectly suited to a multi-use carbine like the 901. Vortex and SWFA also put out really nice 1-6 optics too. As for mags, well, you know what I'm gonna say there...

Ty, I didn't realize that you also did the 7.62 mags.  That's all I need to know in that regard.

I have a buttload of your 5.56 PMags that are nothing short of outstanding.

When it gets to my FFL, I'll give you a ring and order some mags, and also arrange for my ffl to ship the mags that come with it to you for conversion.

I'll look at the Bushnell. The rifle will be used for longer range hog/whitetail hunting.

Thanks!

Optics i have a nikon m 308 on my ar 10. Goes to 16power. Dont trust the bdc part of it. Its not correct unless you go on nikons website and punch everything in. Triji makes that 308 optic. Im sure thats kick ass unless you want to do longer range shooting. Having a 308 im sure you would. When you figure it all out let is know. I wanted to get that colt also for awhile. Id like to hear your thoughts.

Ed, I'll keep you posted about the 901 and what I wind up doing to it.

First order of business is to obviously get it made compliant. I've got a 7.62 BattleComp on the way for it, but completely undecided what optic to buy.

Initially, I may use one of my 5.56mm ACOGs on it just to wring it out, then decide from there what optic will suit my purposes.

I bought this rifle with the intention of doing longer range shooting, hog and whitetail hunting, so I'm going to need more than 4x with my damn near 50 year old eyes.

Hell, I thought ACOGs were expensive, until I saw the price on some of these FFP, high magnification optics (some are WAY north of $3K)! I may have to sell an organ to buy one!

We'll have to hit SJSC and have some fun with it!

A minor little monkey wrench in an otherwise good plan regarding the 901....

The dealer I bought the 901 from (Gunbroker auction) called me this morning, he says he cannot (won't) ship to a dealer in NJ, because the gun is not compliant as is.

He says he can ship it to a gunsmith outside of NJ, have it made compliant, then the 'smith can ship it to my local ffl as a compliant gun.

Not a HUGE deal, but involves an extra transfer.

I wound up getting a good price on the gun, so even with the extra transfer, I'm still ok.

I made arrangements with Adco to receive the 901, make it complaint, and ship it to my FFL. Maybe an extra couple of days, but I'm certain it will be worth it.

Hopefully, Adco will get the crush washer on center this time, so my OCD doesn't flare up.....LOL. (I'm making fun of my own little ODC demons,for those of you who don't understand).

I'll keep y'all posted, and of course, a few pics when I have it in my hands.

Yes, they are all Colts.

I DO have a few uppers from other vendors, PSA, BCM, but I have a particular fondness for Colt.

I am a huge believer in the monolithic uppers they make (6940/901 series guns).

There are a few pics floating around here, but I'll post a family photo once the 901 arrives.

i have a battle comp on my AR and i like it . but there are a ton of great ones.  i do, however, find it funny that you are buying a $2000 gun, considering a $1100+ optic, yet a $200 compensator is pricey :)

If you gave me one for free, I would sell it and buy a $12 comp. So, I don't get it :)

If you gave me one for free, I would sell it and buy a $12 comp. So, I don't get it :)

what i found funny had nothing to do with the compensator and it's value, although on a 308, i'd be much more strict as to what i chose (and would probably chose the surefire socom) as the compensator will have much more effect on the gun in the end.  

i found it funny because it's like a guy buying a ferrari, and then saying premium gas is too expensive.  whether or not premium gas makes sense for every gun and every person and what they need is irrelevant.  

I found out this morning that the 901 will be at Adco on Monday. My Battle comp is already there, waiting for the rifle to arrive so they can begin work.

The wait begins. Looking forward to 'new gun day'!

It's here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qy06aohyb4uyr1/Photo%20Jul%2012%2C%207%2013%2040.jpg

Adco did a great job making it compliant. For now, I've installed my TA01NSN ACOG on it, until I decide what optics I'm going to use.

Excited to get it to the range and giver it a whirl!

I'll post some better pics of it later.