Sign in to follow this  
podmannj

Vortex Crossfire II versus Viper PST 1-4

I don't have the crossfire, but I do own a pst 1-4x mrad.  I also liked it enough to buy a pst 2.5-10x ffp when a great deal came up.  I can say that you get lot's of features for the money that you can't find in similar priced scopes and the glass is very clear for the price point.  I can shoot both eyes open at 1x with it, which you will find doesn't happen that often with the less expensive scopes due to glass quality.  The reticle is fast on target and the mil/mil or moa/moa hash marks and turrets make ranging easy.  The turrets are very tactile, and the build quality of the scope in general is very good.  I don't feel like I am handling a $500 scope. 

Wait for a holiday sale.  I got my 1-4x for $425 shipped from Primary Arms brand new.  You can also check other forums in the marketplace sections.  I just picked up my 2.5-10 ffp in an adm mount new for $600 which is an absolute steal.  Retail on it would have been around $1k for the scope and mount. 

^ to further my above post the advantages I see of the pst vs the crossfire are these:

Reticle - The pst reticle in moa or mrad is inifinitey more useful to me than the crossfire.  Quicker on target and has ranging hash marks.

Glass quality - like I said earlier you can shoot both eyes open with the pst, don't know if you can with the crossfire.

Illumination - both are illuminated but the pst has the 4 quadrants illuminated making it easier to know you have the target within POI, whereas the crossfire you are dealing with a crosshair.

Zero Stop - The pst comes with shims to enable a zero stop.  Once you have your scope zeroed you install the shims so that when you range the scope you know you are back to your zero when the turret stops.  It's not the best system in the world compared to more expensive scopes but it comes with it and is an advantage over the crossfire. 

Turrets/overall build quality - The turrets are very tactile for a scope of this price and don't feel mushy like many others.  Another favorite budget scope of mine is the Leatherwood CMR 1-4x but for all of the scopes advantages the turrets feel like wet cardboard when you move them.  The rest of the scope is built just as well.  You also get the vortex swag that comes in the box and their unbeatable lifetime transferable warranty (on either scope). 

Hope this helps.