Heavyopp

Reloading room lighting

So what does everyone use in their reloading area for lighting?  

My reload room currently has 2 - 4 bulb fluorescent fixtures --  One of the fixtures just crapped out --  I'm sure it's the ballast and I'm trying to decide what to do about it

I was never really happy with the lighting in there -- With the new LED bulbs I'm wondering if I should swap out the 2 fluorescent for 6 or 8 recessed fixtures with led bulbs

Anyone have led lighting in their reload area?  Happy with it?  Are there any really good lighting fixtures I'm missing out on?

Looking for an education here...

I bought a handfull of cheap AA led flashlights on deal extreme that were listed as approximatley the right diameter for the hole in the middle of my LNL. ABout $12 total. One fits perfectand stops on the anti roll bezel, and I use a rechargeable AA in it. 

They say that the fluorescent lights can interfere with the readings on an electronic powder scale. I have not found that to be true but my lights are about 5 feet above my scale.

Who's they?  I've always had fluorescent lighting -- if they do interfere at least it's consistent

So it sounds like no one has general LED lighting in their reload area --  More of led task lighting

My room is 10' X 12' with 5 presses -- I was really looking for general area lighting but maybe I'm thinking wrong --

Florescent area light with added task lighting could be the ticket

Guess I'll have to experiment a little 

Who's they? I've always had fluorescent lighting -- if they do interfere at least it's consistent

So it sounds like no one has general LED lighting in their reload area -- More of led task lighting

My room is 10' X 12' with 5 presses -- I was really looking for general area lighting but maybe I'm thinking wrong --

Florescent area light with added task lighting could be the ticket

Guess I'll have to experiment a little

They are lots of people. But it's electric scales that plug in from all the instances I have heard about. My battery operated one is always pretty close to my balance scale.

They have decent t-8 led tubes out there I was thinking of replacing my fluorescent tubes with. I can't see any reason not to if you get the lumens you want out of all your fixtures.

They are lots of people. But it's electric scales that plug in from all the instances I have heard about. My battery operated one is always pretty close to my balance scale.

They have decent t-8 led tubes out there I was thinking of replacing my fluorescent tubes with. I can't see any reason not to if you get the lumens you want out of all your fixtures.

I have 3 scales -- a RCBS electronic -- a RCBS balance -- and a Dillon Balance   ---  NONE of them will get the same reading on the same item

This is where start small and work your way up comes into play -- I would never use someone's load without working it out for myself --  The chance that yours and his scales are exactly the same are slim

These don't cost much and just can't be that precise

I did order new ballasts today --  I'm thinking fix my overhead florescent and maybe go with some under shelf LED's   --  I have something in mind 

I have 3 scales -- a RCBS electronic -- a RCBS balance -- and a Dillon Balance   ---  NONE of them will get the same reading on the same item

This is where start small and work your way up comes into play -- I would never use someone's load without working it out for myself --  The chance that yours and his scales are exactly the same are slim

These don't cost much and just can't be that precise

I did order new ballasts today --  I'm thinking fix my overhead florescent and maybe go with some under shelf LED's   --  I have something in mind 

I want to be as respectful as possible!

Lighting is important.

But your scales not measuring the same is a bigger problem.

Get calibration weights and get them in order.

Yes I am "Old School" and use an Ohaus triple beam.  Dead nuts on and gets calibrated from time to time.

When you've developed technique it's pretty quick with a trickler.

Good! Don't rely 100% on anyone else's data.

Loading 40 years and no Kabooms!

But your scales not measuring the same is a bigger problem.

Get calibration weights and get them in order.

It's not that big of a problem....   I've been reloading for 24 years no kabooms either --

As long as my scale measures a weight consistently It doesn't matter to me if it's really 4.3 grns or not -- I've worked my way to that weight and it's safe -- Scale just makes whatever weight it really is

repeatable for me using this particular scale -- switch scales and everything has to start from the beginning -- start low and work your way up

My balance scales could very well be in need of service -- they've seen a couple of decades -- if these $75 scales are even rebuildable -- Are they?

Dillon is an ohaus -- the thing won't even return to zero reliably -- set zero -- tap the pan -- set zero again -- you can play this game for hours

I do have calibration weights -- I use them on the electronic every time I turn it on --

No offence taken, Old school --  we can talk about this 

Luckily i put my reloading press right on my work bench. So i have the shop fluorescent lighting and then i have adjustable track lighting right on the wall in front of the bench. I actually had to move 2 of the track lights in the other direction because it was too bright. I do need to invest in one of the smaller led lights that lets you see right into the cartridge with out removing it from the press. 

It's not that big of a problem....   I've been reloading for 24 years no kabooms either --

As long as my scale measures a weight consistently It doesn't matter to me if it's really 4.3 grns or not -- I've worked my way to that weight and it's safe -- Scale just makes whatever weight it really is

repeatable for me using this particular scale -- switch scales and everything has to start from the beginning -- start low and work your way up

My balance scales could very well be in need of service -- they've seen a couple of decades -- if these $75 scales are even rebuildable -- Are they?

Dillon is an ohaus -- the thing won't even return to zero reliably -- set zero -- tap the pan -- set zero again -- you can play this game for hours

I do have calibration weights -- I use them on the electronic every time I turn it on --

No offence taken, Old school --  we can talk about this 

It seems like you have this under control!