otebear

Looking for a pistol range - some requirements

I've been doing skeet and trap for a few years, and I recently tried a revolver at Gun for Hire. I'm looking for a revolver range in northern NJ, preferably in or near Bergen/Essex/Morris county, with the following requirements:

-outdoor (couldn't stand the fumes and sound at the indoor range)

-allows minors

-(optional but preferable) rents guns

-has instruction, supports beginners

Are there any ranges that fit these requirements?

Thanks.

Depending on what indoor range you go to, there really shouldn't be that much fumes with a good ventilation system. If you haven't tried RTSP, it would be a great alternative to the outdoor being they have everything else you're looking for. I'm an RO there and can be inside the range for hours on end, no fumes issues at all...especially on the pistol range(range 2). As far as sound, double up on ear protection, foam then muffs and you'll be good to go. We also do "intro's" for first time shooters, etc etc. I don't know of any outdoor ranges round these parts that also rents guns...good luck.

The only place that meets most of your criteria is Cherry Ridge in Vernon/West Milford.

-outdoor (couldn't stand the fumes and sound at the indoor range) Yes, outdoor range with pistol, rifle (100yd), high power rifle (200/300 yd), shotgun, and archery

-allows minors Yes, but must be 12 or older for handguns

-(optional but preferable) rents guns Nope. You'd have to go to RTSP or Woodland Park for that

-has instruction, supports beginners Yes. ANJRPC offers several bassic courses at the range

Depending on what indoor range you go to, there really shouldn't be that much fumes with a good ventilation system. If you haven't tried RTSP, it would be a great alternative to the outdoor being they have everything else you're looking for. I'm an RO there and can be inside the range for hours on end, no fumes issues at all...especially on the pistol range(range 2). As far as sound, double up on ear protection, foam then muffs and you'll be good to go. We also do "intro's" for first time shooters, etc etc. I don't know of any outdoor ranges round these parts that also rents guns...good luck.

I think your outdoor requirement can be had at RTSP, the ventilation system is so good you have ZERO smells.  I find it objectionable when I shoot some outdoor USPSA matches compared to RTSP - the ventilation is AMAZING!  Everything Average Joe said and then some - try it out.  They also have a digital simulator where you can fire a real gun that uses something like an airsoft cartridge to give you recoil, great practice and wonderful to teach kids or even experienced shooters on.  The rental inventory is huge.  What is nice for $10 an hour you can rent a gun, and change as many times as you want for another gun in the same caliber.

I think your outdoor requirement can be had at RTSP, the ventilation system is so good you have ZERO smells.  I find it objectionable when I shoot some outdoor USPSA matches compared to RTSP - the ventilation is AMAZING!  Everything Average Joe said and then some - try it out.  They also have a digital simulator where you can fire a real gun that uses something like an airsoft cartridge to give you recoil, great practice and wonderful to teach kids or even experienced shooters on.  The rental inventory is huge.  What is nice for $10 an hour you can rent a gun, and change as many times as you want for another gun in the same caliber.

The only indoor range I've been to was Gun for Hire (Woodland Park). I was told they had great ventilation, but I wasn't able to tolerate the fumes, not to mention the noise (even with earplugs and muffs). How does RTSP compare to Woodland Park in regards to ventilation?

I was three feet away from the guy from Spartan when he was firing a carbine halfway down the range and watch the dust cloud instantly pulled away by the vent and never smelled a thing on Range Two at RTSP.

Can't say enough good stuff about RTSP either. I'm there AT LEAST once a week.

Ventilation is the best of any indoor range I've experienced... but I can't compare to GFH/WPR as I haven't been there yet.

...and the sound levels are tolerable. With good ear protection (electronic muffs, I don't double up).

Can't say enough good stuff about RTSP either. I'm there AT LEAST once a week.

Ventilation is the best of any indoor range I've experienced... but I can't compare to GFH/WPR as I haven't been there yet.

...and the sound levels are tolerable. With good ear protection (electronic muffs, I don't double up).

I have been to both RTSP and GFH and I find the sound level better at RTSP which is why I go there even though GFH is closer to me.

Nope, not just you. Although some powder does smell awful...

I will say I don't enjoy the smell of my muzzle loader. Black powder has that harsh sulfur odor. But most places won't allow it indoors either. RTSP is never a cloud of gunsmoke, excellent ventilation system. Shongum is probably the only range that fits most of the criteria of the OP. Or Cherry Ridge.

I will say I don't enjoy the smell of my muzzle loader. Black powder has that harsh sulfur odor. But most places won't allow it indoors either. RTSP is never a cloud of gunsmoke, excellent ventilation system. Shongum is probably the only range that fits most of the criteria of the OP. Or Cherry Ridge.

Doesn't Shongum have a waiting list? Cherry Ridge he could probably join this weekend at the new member Sunday, unless it was moved because of the holiday weekend.

Doesn't Shongum have a waiting list? Cherry Ridge he could probably join this weekend at the new member Sunday, unless it was moved because of the holiday weekend.

Shongum wait list is running somewhere around a one-year wait. Also, I have a feeling that it's going to be a hike for OP.

I LIVE for the chance to DEEPLY INHALE Black Powder smoke, lol!  I consider it the smell of FREEDOM!

In reality, what the OP wants to find in NJ doesn't exist.  A range that rents guns outdoors to get wet & rusty because nobody is willing to risk the investment in rental inventory to the weather....

I run a Match at an indoor range once a month.  I'll go to a Ladies Get-together at GFH to help (when I'm requested to do so).  Otherwise, year-round I'm OUTSIDE makin' SMOKE, lol!

The ventilation at GFH and RTSP is new and the latest greatest. I have been to both ranges , and belong to GFH and did not notice any difference as far as fumes. GFH is a clean as it gets indoors. If you are indoors , you will smell gunpowder . If there IS any difference between the two locations it is negligible and most would not notice. In other words , if you did not find shooting indoors at GFH acceptable it wont be acceptable at RTSP either , or any indoor range for that matter. I think maybe indoor shooting is not for you :)   I love shooting outdoors , I think most outdoor ranges in NJ will meet your criteria except for the rental part.