Sign in to follow this  
almiz111

Ruger MINI 30

I have a SS Mini 30 (older model) that I really like.  Had a trigger job done by Connecticut Precision Chambering that changed the gun's function a lot. Installed a recoil buffer in it and now it rocks and rolls to my liking.  I roll my own so 150 grain Hornadys are the norm. I have IMI factory and brass from 1988 that just shoots great.   Reminds me of a small carbine version of a Garand or M1A.  No FTEs or FTFs with brass or steel just don't cross between steel and brass without a good cleaning and everything goes great.  Magazines I don't have much to say.  Have Ruger  from way back when, only 5 rounders. and I have a bunch of aftermarket 10s that work OK as well. Never tried to stretch it to 15s, but I'm sure your can. All in all it shoots very good. Accuracy is very good.  Steel cased within limits (1.5" to 2.5") and my brass rounds are about +/- 1.5" out to 100 yards.  Nothing bad to say about it.

I personally own two Mini 14's I like both one ranch rifle and another tactical model. They loose a little accuracy once you heat them up but thats common for this gun. I do know of one for sale, http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1875140

I love my 14, I do know ruger does say that they were designed for non surplus 7.62 and I have read on the inter webs that there have been issues with steel cased, but I believe some of that is due to what T Bill said about mixing ammo. Just something to look at before you pull the trigger. If you do go with one I would recommend the tech-site for it, made a world of difference on my 14. I'm also a believer in the accustrut as we'll fwiw

I had a little nickel to burn and considered one once too.. the thing is there is a lot of reasons NOT to get one and not many if any good reason to get one, certainly not any overwhelming or solidly good reasons.

They don't like steel cased ammo, they can shoot it but some straight up cant digest some better/worse than others. Also I have heard or read of problems with soft pointed or hollow point ammo feeding poorly causing jams et. They are maybe more accurate than a run of the mill AK But not exactly an M1A either. And theyre not cheap, but again they are a lot more than an AK without a ton moreto it.

I wanted to get one and put it in a Tapco stock, do some Magpul customization to the stock, put an Aimpoint up front and a3X Magnifier in the rear... basically a copy of an awesome Sage M14 w/ eotech and 3x an Australian SAS trooper and their-MoH winner ran in Afghanistan. It would have cost thousands to build a real copy with an M1A, Sage, etc. But this copy would be a lot less dough, in 7.62x39, with a Mini-30 and Tapco stock lol.

In the end I realized it wasnt really worth it. You have to really really WANT a Mini 14/30 andi didnt, I was bored and wanted a cheap fix to an expensive dream project gun ... but hey if you really like and want one, let no one stop you because if you really do like and want something, that is always sufficient in buying a gun lol.

Growing up in the 80's is what pushed me towards always wanting one myself. I know my AR's are far superior. Its just a cool factor thing. My first car was a black Trans Am like Knight Rider. The first tactical style rifle I ever bought was the Mini 14 like Face, Murdoch, Hannibal, and B.A. Barakas used. Cant say its a gun without cool factor. Posted Image

I had a little nickel to burn and considered one once too.. the thing is there is a lot of reasons NOT to get one and not many if any good reason to get one, certainly not any overwhelming or solidly good reasons.

They don't like steel cased ammo, they can shoot it but some straight up cant digest some better/worse than others. 

I have given serious consideration to picking up a Mini 14 or 30, but I have had reservations similar to yours.

I picked up a bunch of 7.62 when I got a Saiga recently, and I thought it might be nice to have another gun to run it through.  But I have heard the same thing you mention, about their not doing well with steel cased ammo.

I also considered the Mini 14, since I have a bunch of .223 as well.  But I didn't like the fact that they don't use AR mags, and since we can only get the five rounders in this state (they also make 20's), it seems like it would be a liability in a defensive situation.  The factor that may ultimately sway me is that I like the way they look.

and since we can only get the five rounders in this state (they also make 20's), it seems like it would be a liability in a defensive situation.

I have 15 round steel mags for both of my mini 14's. Tactical version came with them, dealer made them compliant. Had a bunch of 20's pinned as well. (No they were not $$$ cheap) Would be nice if they had some kind of AR magazine adapter though.

Again id never fault someone for purchasing this or owning it because many people love and enjoy theirs, and its not like it's a Saturday Night Special brand someone is defending... generally everyone likes and certainly respect Ruger. I just can't get the thing to pass my internal pro/con test or even want one, because again, I surely agree just plain old WANTING is plenty fine, and enough justification for buying anything that goes boom.

I also have a nice bit of 7.62x39 ammo and id get a Zastava M92 AK Pistol (some wrongly call them the made-up word "Krinkov" which is literally not a word in Russian, theyd think you were making noise not describing a Kalashnikov variant) for $399.99 on sale way before a Mini. And if Im gonna spend the real money we were talking here for a Mini-30 Id MUCH RATHER go Arsenal or Vepr, sweet rifles, any way you look at it theyre some of the best of the best.