Lalo

Public range to shoot hard drives

I work in IT and over the past few months we refreshed a lot of our older workstations with new ones. The old machine chassis were donated/recycled but the hard drives have to be destroyed. This year instead of sending them out to be destroyed or taking them to a shop to have someone take a drill press through them, I want to use them as targets.

Are there any public ranges in NJ that allow people to shoot "junk"? Obviously would clean up the mess, etc.

I've done this once, with a shotgun slug.

However, since then I've learned a bit more about how materials behave and I would recommend against doing it, unless you are doing it from very far away. Crap can fly back at you.

I recommend a heavy hammer and some cold beer in the backyard, it will be more therapeutic.

office-space.jpg

Yeah I have a few chassis left over too. Usually whatever is not picked up for recycling I end up chucking out the fire escape from the second floor into the dumpster. Printers are fun too, except when you miss the dumsper and it crashes into the parking lot...

However, since then I've learned a bit more about how materials behave and I would recommend against doing it, unless you are doing it from very far away. Crap can fly back at you.

Yeah I wouldn't shoot anything like this unless it's at least 25 yards or more.

Here's how we didi it in the sandbox:

IMG_0239_zpsc846319f.jpg

IMG_2009_zps35149607.jpg

That's just awesome! Would love to do that but here in NJ, DOUBTFUL.

Lalo I actually buy them for scrap metal. Pm me if your interested.

Thanks Chris, I'll keep that in mind. I'd have to drill a hole through them first but that's no fun.

I'd much more prefer to line them up at 100yds and blow a hole through them with the AR!

I work in IT and over the past few months we refreshed a lot of our older workstations with new ones. The old machine chassis were donated/recycled but the hard drives have to be destroyed. This year instead of sending them out to be destroyed or taking them to a shop to have someone take a drill press through them, I want to use them as targets.

Are there any public ranges in NJ that allow people to shoot "junk"? Obviously would clean up the mess, etc.

I "DOD Wipe" mine and re-use them.. Are they old IDE's or SATAs?

I "DOD Wipe" mine and re-use them.. Are they old IDE's or SATAs?

The drives are actually already wiped, but in addition to that, they have to be destroyed. They're mostly IDE's, maybe some SATA's.

The drives are actually already wiped, but in addition to that, they have to be destroyed. They're mostly IDE's, maybe some SATA's.

I guess that's company policy. I don't believe in wasting storage. I remember when it was very expensive, although there isn't much use for IDEs these days...

Even if you put bullets into them, someone who is very skilled and determined can still retrieve data from damaged hard drives.

Well, I'll take a picture next time I run into it of the drive that took a 12ga slug. I'm pretty sure reading that platter would be beyond challenging.

Actually .. if the NSA can read that platter, that would have been handy a few years ago, that bastard crashed and took down an oracle DB that raz-0 and I had to spend 2 days restoring from backups. Which explains the shotgun therapy.

Even if you put bullets into them, someone who is very skilled and determined can still retrieve data from damaged hard drives.

Recovering data from shattered hard drive platters? That's some Jack Bower/24 activity right there. Person doing that is probably working for the gov'ment locked in an underground bunker somewhere.

here's the trick... shoot them edge-wise. punching a hole perpendicular to the platter doesn't do much. now parking a .223 or .308 into the side of the drive just below the axis of the spindle, that'll seriously f**k that drive's day up.

the above is not from empirical evidence. no seriously, I'd never do that. really, I wouldn't. :D

Knob Creek

Where is this exactly? My google-fu couldnt find anything with that name in NJ.

Clinton wma. I've shot old computers there a few times. A slug in the right place and bam no more hard drive.

That's an option, but slugs are expensive. Would prefer to peg them with a .223 round or 40 cal pistol. 22's will just bounce off at a distance.

Where is this exactly? My google-fu couldnt find anything with that name in NJ.

That's an option, but slugs are expensive. Would prefer to peg them with a .223 round or 40 cal pistol. 22's will just bounce off at a distance.

I think he's referring to the machine gun shoot in va haha. A 22 should go thru and thru at 25yds. I was surprised how well an old iPod touch trapped 22s, they would enter the screen and then get stuck in the metal back cover

Ok, so here is what the drive I shot with a shotgun slug looks like.  Seeing how the plater is full or ripples (both on the main component, and much smaller ones on the surface) I rather doubt it is recoverable.  Also I wonder what the static discharge from the impact did. 

bEaMunv.jpg

XJ0Wyzo.jpg

CCCu5O3.jpg

Yeah, no doubt destroying a drive like that will definitely render it useless and data will be unrecoverable.

No way I'm driving to Kentuky to shoot these drives.

Clinto WMA rifle range is an option but limited to 12g slugs or .22's.

Maybe I need to look further west out in PA.