Purple Patrick

Some knives I've been messing with

Alright so first off I have to say I just got a Ken onion work sharp and it is an amazing tool. Its taken my knife sharpening to a new level, it's so quick and idiot proof to get a wicked sharp edge. Not only can it sharpen but can also be used as a free hand grinder so I've been able to modify and fix up some of my knives. Here's 2 I've been messing with.

This started life as a crkt m16 tanto but i broke the tip off so I reshaped the blade(not that cleanly but it works). Also the dual flipper/guard is quite big and can catch on my pocket so I completely smoothed out the one flipped and it feels better in the hand and pocket now.

Posted Image

Next is an opinel #8 I got last night and wanted to mess with. Put an Apple and mustard patina on it, ground down and rounded the handle for better ergonomic and easier opening, added a flat spot to whack the knife open the traditional French way, ground in a lanyard whole, lastly I dropped the point down so it would have a more manageable tip and be Safer. Enjoy

Posted ImagePosted Image

Whoah, just looked it up, that Ken Onion thing looks like a mini belt sander. Let me know when I can stop by and sharpen up my box full of dull knives... :nyam:

It's pretty much a belt sander with a removable guide. They also make a fee different attachments for different tasks but I'm making out fine with what it came with

I have it with me at work if you drop them off in the morning I could most likely have I done by the end of the day

How is the new version working for you with/out rounding the blade tips?

I have the original. I tend to use my lansky stone kit for my knives. The work sharp more for axes and lawnmower ( free hand).

Rounded the first knife I did but I've been practicing my technique of following the curve perfectly and not dragging the tip fully off the belt. I stop about half way.

I have no experience with the original but the new one is great with the variable speed motor and wider belts

It's pretty much a belt sander with a removable guide. They also make a fee different attachments for different tasks but I'm making out fine with what it came with I have it with me at work if you drop them off in the morning I could most likely have I done by the end of the day

I see a Kalamazoo in your future :)

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=505-1371&PMPXNO=952569