Sign in to follow this  
RS1200XL

Anyone try Hodgdon CFE Pistol yet?

I am nearly out of Win 231 and there doesn't seem to be any supplies in the near future.  I was in a LGS yesterday and found a few pounds of CFE Pistol powder.  I've never heard of it but i saw it loaded 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP....so with the way pistol powder is; I grabbed two pounds on an impulse purchase.  After some research it appears to be a relatively new product and there is a little loading data around. 

I'll be reloading with it in a couple weeks once I'm out of 231.  Min load for .45 with 230gr bullets is 5.4gr, I'll make a batch of this and work my way up to about 5.6 or 5.7 and see how it plays out.  Does anyone here have any experience with this powder?

I've tried it and it`s pretty good. It shot well and didn't appear to be a dirty powder. Since it's so new, the only place to find any load data is from Hodgdon website.

Use it with no worries.

I'm using the CFE Pistol powder and have been very pleased so far...I've been testing out a bunch of different loads for 9mm and here is what I have:

Gun: G19

Press: Lee Classic Turret

OAL: 1.060"

Primers: CCI SPP

9mm 124gn Flat Point Xtreme Heavy Plated Bullets

.34 disc meters 4.5gn CFE averaged 952 FPS

.37 disc meters 4.8gn CFE averaged 1015 FPS

.40 disc meters 5.3gn CFE averaged 1088 FPS

All three charges show the exact same primer strike pattern, no stress markings on brass either.

Heres a good write up with some load data as well http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/fast-look-hodgdon-cfe-pistol-powder/

Hope you may find this helpful

Oh, also, I forgot to mention...recoil. Recoil with this powder is noticeably different. With W231 I get a "snap" type of recoil...what I notice with CFE it is more of a linear "thud" type recoil even at 1100 fps, making followup shots more manageable. Really diggin this powder.

If you have good recoil control a quick snap is actually preferred for a faster follow up shot. With the snap the recoil impulse is over faster so you can be back on target quicker.

Its more of a sound thing too, its hard to explain...those that try this powder will know what I'm sayin...there is a def difference in the recoil for the better imo and i think I like it over 231 personally. A coworker at the range even said the recoil felt different and liked it. What powder do you use?