RU_27

Windham Weaponry SRC-NY 223/556 optics/other accessories

Recently picked one up and I am excited to add on. Any other Windham owners have optic recommendations or a "go to" site for optics?

Any other "must have" accessories I should have for my first AR?

Thanks in advance.

I don't own a Windham but I have an Aimpoint PRO on my AR. I would definitly recommend it.

The factory mount gives it a good cowitness (in between absolute and 1/3). Parallax free. Good field of view. Long battery life. Clear glass. Fits on my 100% on my upper with no over hang using the factory mount, with a Larue mount/PA magnifier and a troy flip up buis.

First, I would say sights are a must have. I prefer the Magpul Pro sights. These are metal and should work well given the front rail on your rifle is also the gas block making it a bit hot for polymer sights.

Second, I would add a sling. I prefer two point, but to each his own.

Third, I too like the aimpoint sights. I have a T1 that I love and a PRO that is much more cost effective.

Last, I would add a light if you think you may use the rifle in less then ideal lighting. I currently use an inforce WML.

Hope this helps.

I don't own a Windham but I have an Aimpoint PRO on my AR. I would definitly recommend it.

The factory mount gives it a good cowitness (in between absolute and 1/3). Parallax free. Good field of view. Long battery life. Clear glass. Fits on my 100% on my upper with no over hang using the factory mount, with a Larue mount/PA magnifier and a troy flip up buis.

Thanks! Heard great things about aimpoint.

First, I would say sights are a must have. I prefer the Magpul Pro sights. These are metal and should work well given the front rail on your rifle is also the gas block making it a bit hot for polymer sights. Second, I would add a sling. I prefer two point, but to each his own. Third, I too like the aimpoint sights. I have a T1 that I love and a PRO that is much more cost effective. Last, I would add a light if you think you may use the rifle in less then ideal lighting. I currently use an inforce WML. Hope this helps.

Just ordered the magpul sites! Clerk tried to get me to buy them but wanted to wait for approval from this community.

I'll look into these other things as well. Do you use a vertical foregrip or recommend one? (Sorry if wrong term still new to firearms and this is my first AR)

I don't own a Windham, but before anyone can answer your question, what do you plan to do with your new carbine?

It's hard to give advice without knowing what your intended use for your rifle.

Good point. Using this for range. I'd like to eventually have a verasile build to have consistent groups from 50-200 yards. I know a carbine may not be ideal for long distance but still would like to play around with it.

I have run a short vertical foregrip, but it is more of a reference point for my foreword hand to index on rather than a place to hold. On this rifle you would need a different hand guard or rail to mount one. This could greatly increase cost. The least expensive option is again from Magpul by way if their replacement hand guard.

I run my carbines out to 400+ easily with an ACOG. The rifle/round is perfectly capable of it....limiting factor for me is my middle aged eyes. I need magnification.

200 should be a walk in the park with a good red dot.

Your welcome.

Get some rounds down range and you will soon know what you like best. Shooting others' rifle when you can is also helpful. I learned a ton by going to training classes as well.

Your welcome.

Get some rounds down range and you will soon know what you like best. Shooting others' rifle when you can is also helpful. I learned a ton by going to training classes as well.

Agreed. I would hold off on buying anything until you find out what you NEED.

It's very tempting to buy all sorts of doodads for your new rifle, but in my humble opinion, in the short term, what you need most is ammo, mags, and trigger time.

Learn to shoot iron sights accurately. Until they are completely second nature. 200 yards is easy (even for my eyes) with irons. Remember, the USMC teaches recruits to accurately engage man sized targets out to 500 yards.

Once you have mastered irons, then choose an optic based upon your needs and intended useage.

Not everyone NEEDS an ACOG or a high power variable scope. Maybe a red dot is a terrier choice for you.

My personal philosophy is to ask myself 'why do I need that?' before I buy something for my AR's.

What does it help me do?

Believe me, it's tempting to buy toys for a new gun (I am currently awaiting delivery of a Colt 901 Modular rifle). I'm going through the same thing right now as far as optic choices.

I'll second the above recommendation of training classes, and shooting other people's rifles.

Try it out on someone else's rifle if possible, before you spend your money in it.

Be sure it's right for you.

I'm quite sure between all the AR shooters here, someone will already own what you are considering buying. Ask questions, I'm sure many of them will allow you try out their gear if you ask nicely.

Enjoy your new carbine!

Thanks, guys! appreciate the good old South Jersey support. I currently shoot my rifle and pistol at Range-14, but hope to join SJSC once I can save up some more money and after my wedding (which luckily is next month).

This maybe I bit short notice, but if you want to start right and possibly avoid wasted money and poor habits, you could join me in two weeks at a 'local' carbine class. I'm taking my second carbine class with Joe. I was happy with the first one and this is the closest/cheapest place around.

The carbine 1 class is Saturday 19 July in PA near Cabbala's.

http://www.sightsandtrigger.com/#2838

This maybe I bit short notice, but if you want to start right and possibly avoid wasted money and poor habits, you could join me in two weeks at a 'local' carbine class. I'm taking my second carbine class with Joe. I was happy with the first one and this is the closest/cheapest place around.

The carbine 1 class is Saturday 19 July in PA near Cabbala's.

http://www.sightsandtrigger.com/#2838

Thank you for invite but I see what you mean about "local," hah. Unfortunately cannot make it that weekend but I book marked that page and will check it out.

Super late, but thanks again everyone for their replies. Went with the aimpoint and love it!

Anyone have any opinions as to whether a magnifier for the aimppoint pro is worth it for plinking at 200-300 yards with my Windham? Am i better off just saving money for an ACOG or scope?

Why don't you shoot an ACOG first before making a decision.

You're welcome to shoot one of mine at SJSC.

Thanks and smart! I may have to take you up on that. I've moved further north for wife's job but still work down south.