Sign in to follow this  
david8613

what cartridge do you think U.S. army should be using, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, 10mm?

Tough call. I've been in the military police corps for some time now and the sidearm is our primary weapon. At first I want to say a .45 however, I can not overlook the added benefits of a .40 for the only reason of it being less bulky and lighter but without sacrificing too much stoping power. Bit of a chin scratcher really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a logistics guy, I look at things like sourcing. When the s*** hits the fan, what can you get? What can you get reliably? 

9mm. Used around the world. Everyone can get it. In a pinch, it can be resupplied by England, or Canada, or even Latvia.

It may not be the best round ballistically, but its easy to get and easy to shoot. You can source domestically, or via allies.

Nothing worse than having the greatest guns in the greatest caliber, and not being able to get ammo when you need it.

I don't think it matters what they use. Aside from Spec Ops which seemingly have their own supply chain for handguns, do regular units use a handgun in combat with any frequency? Does anyone here have PERSONAL knowledge of anyone in a regular line unit who fired a handgun in combat? In 1969 and early 1970, from time to time when I carried an M60 or M79, I also carried a 1911 as a personal weapon. It was in a flap holster, mag in, hammer down, chamber empty. I never chambered a round much less fired it and I don't know of anyone who did. As a matter of fact, the only rounds I fired from a 1911 while in the Army were the 7 in basic training. I wonder if this whole issue is a tempest in a teapot.

I'm really more interested in responses from actual vets than keyboard commandos, so when responding please list your branch, theater, and dates of service.

I don't think it matters what they use. Aside from Spec Ops which seemingly have their own supply chain for handguns, do regular units use a handgun in combat with any frequency? Does anyone here have PERSONAL knowledge of anyone in a regular line unit who fired a handgun in combat? In 1969 and early 1970, from time to time when I carried an M60 or M79, I also carried a 1911 as a personal weapon. It was in a flap holster, mag in, hammer down, chamber empty. I never chambered a round much less fired it and I don't know of anyone who did. As a matter of fact, the only rounds I fired from a 1911 while in the Army were the 7 in basic training. I wonder if this whole issue is a tempest in a teapot.

I'm really more interested in responses from actual vets than keyboard commandos, so when responding please list your branch, theater, and dates of service.

Handguns have a time and place. Are they the primary weapon for most? Of course not.

http://www.captainsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/Trigger_Discipline.jpg

Google "Vietnam Tunnel warfare Handgun" What do you think the IDF is using in exploring tunnels?