Avalanche

nj.com poll - Should the gov have met with the Sandy parents.

Do you have children Newtonian?

As someone who has lost a child (at 17 years old) perhaps I can shed some light on the so-called Magical Misery Tour (I'm sure you thought it a clever turn of a phrase but it's really distasteful).

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I disagree with the group on the merits of their arguments.

But I fully understand their desire to make their children's lives stand for something. We can disagree with them without diminishing their pain.

"Capitilizing on a horrible show that involved their children" Really? How do they benefit? What's their payoff? Their children are dead.

Is getting interviewed on MSNBC or CNN the payoff? Just how are they capitalizing?

Sorry, they get a pass from me even though I disagree with them.

And thats what "makes them believe" that they are on a journey to make a difference. We as society are not to talk about certain things or disagree with certain things because it will be portrayed as "taking advantage of grief" or  "for the sake of children".   However, I have no respect for anyone who goes on a campaign of infringing on other people rights under the disguise of grief, children or change. No matter what type of pain they have gone through.  In fact, such campaigns highlight disrespect for not only lives lost but for generations to come.

I am sorry, but I disagree with them and they don't get pass from me.

And thats what "makes them believe" that they are on a journey to make a difference. We as society are not to talk about certain things or disagree with certain things because it will be portrayed as "taking advantage of grief" or  "for the sake of children".   However, I have no respect for anyone who goes on a campaign of infringing on other people rights under the disguise of grief, children or change. No matter what type of pain they have gone through.  In fact, such campaigns highlight disrespect for not only lives lost but for generations to come.

I am sorry, but I disagree with them and they don't get pass from me.

Oh right it's all  a disguise of grief.

Now I get it. My bad

Oh right it's all  a disguise of grief.

Now I get it. My bad

What else do you call it when a tragedy is used to lay foundation for another ?  What purpose do they intend to achieve by infringing on other law abiding citizens rights ? Did they do any basic analysis ? Do they talk about mental health issues ? Or is that too taboo because there is a nonprofit for every mental health issue that defends it as non issue ?

You want to pick on some words to shut people up. Be my guest, but that doesn't address the problem at hand or grief.

Dont get me started with sarcasm. I lost someone very close as child. I did not (and do not) go around looking for solution in other peoples homes and rights.

Do you have children Newtonian?

As someone who has lost a child (at 17 years old) perhaps I can shed some light on the so-called Magical Misery Tour (I'm sure you thought it a clever turn of a phrase but it's really distasteful).

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I disagree with the group on the merits of their arguments.

But I fully understand their desire to make their children's lives stand for something. We can disagree with them without diminishing their pain.

"Capitilizing on a horrible show that involved their children" Really? How do they benefit? What's their payoff? Their children are dead.

Is getting interviewed on MSNBC or CNN the payoff? Just how are they capitalizing?

Sorry, they get a pass from me even though I disagree with them.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Everybody feels for those parents. I happened not to provide the pro forma, "We all sympathize with their losses but..." because everyone says it, and feels it -- it goes without saying. "Magical Misery Tour" was clever, and to me fitting.

To me their tragedy is not the issue. The issue is what they are doing now, today, their actions, their statements, and and their responses to an outside world on which they are making ridiculous demands. 

In my opinion these people are not entitled to anything other than sympathy and earnest attempts to understand the situation that led to the slaughter. As many have noted, the solution is not more gun control but a more robust mental health system, and perhaps a new slant on school security. The parents have no special expertise on the issues they claim to know so much about, namely guns. Yet they or their masters issue statements (e.g. whine and criticize) whenever they don't get what they want, e.g. an audience with Christie and him signing the gun bills.

Unless they are independently wealthy, they are undoubtedly being funded (i.e. used) by some anti-gun individual or group who or which are exploiting their tragedy to further an agenda that has time and again been shown to have no affect on violent crime. 

I owe them my sympathy for their losses, but I do not deserve their guilt-trip simply because one of my handguns has a 12-round magazine. That's my business, not theirs. The sad fact that their children died does not give these parents the right to chastise people like me or Gov. Christie for having an opinion that differs from theirs, from formulating policy and law on the basis of data, statistics, fact, and prior experience instead of emotion and falsehood.

Somewhere in the U.S., around the same week as Newtown, eight teenagers died in car crashes; two or three children were beaten to death; there was probably a drive-by shooting or two, a couple of children drowned, and thirty or more died from various diseases. The parents of these kids did not promenade themselves, scolding me and politicians to DO SOMETHING, and then excoriating them for not doing their bidding. You could imagine parents demanding an ignition lock that deactivates when a seat belt is engaged. Or limiting the depth of swimming pools to two and a half feet. Or multiplying by 10 the funding of research into childhood leukemia.

Our community suffered a terrible loss last year when the 21-year-old son of a very popular teacher died while rock climbing. He'd been seriously injured two years previously doing the exact same thing. His parents bore their sorrow honorably, not by parading themselves all over creation seeking a ban on rock climbing (which IMO one of the stupidest activities imaginable). 

Believe me, there's a democrat assembly-person or senator stupid and "entrepreneurial" enough to capitalize on tragedy and propose such phony legislative remedies.

No experience is worse than losing a child. But people who find themselves in that awful situation should not be granted any special license to lecture Chris Chistie, to preach to me about my constitutional rights or for that matter on anything. Once they cross that line from being private mourners to media celebrities, they are FAIR GAME with respect to criticism, parody, humor, etc.  

Before penning the 2nd Amendment James Madison wrote the First Amendment. Let's not forget that.

Wasn't it Sweeney who said when a few states were supporting a lawsuit against out horrible gun laws that said they need to stay out of nj business but then when it suits them thy forget those things

People have a right to carpet-bag on any issue they like. The problem with the Newtown parents is not that they're busy-bodies, which they are, or are funded by Bloomberg, or pretend to know what's right for NJ, but that they've become traveling minstrels of false information, hoping to catch someone devious (I have enough points not to name names) or stupid (I have enough points not to name names) enough to believe them. As such they deserve any and all criticism they receive.