deerpark

Czech M10M Gas Mask With Filter & Drinking Tube $12.99

Compared to all the commonly used masks with screw in filters on the front of the mask.

Would you rather leave your mask on and hold your breath while you unscrew one filter and easily screw another one on.

OR

Take your mask off, fumble with it trying to remove two awkwardly shaped filters from the cheek area, put new filters into the cheeks, button it up and then put the mask back on?

Compared to all the commonly used masks with screw in filters on the front of the mask.

Would you rather leave your mask on and hold your breath while you unscrew one filter and easily screw another one on.

OR

Take your mask off, fumble with it trying to remove two awkwardly shaped filters from the cheek area, put new filters into the cheeks, button it up and then put the mask back on?

These things are generally designed to work in the worst environments for a day and realistic environments for a week or more. If you find yourself needing to change the filters under a long-term inhalation challenge that causes filter breakthrough then no mask alone is going to save you anyway. Are you planning on firing from a foxhole that has nerve gas rockets falling on it 24 hours a day?

I have a better $12 mask for you.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#masks/=sulmjp

OV Relief and Acid Gas dust masks - no protection rating. I have personally used these in supposedly "IDLH" conditions illegally LOL and I did not smell or taste a thing.

I wouldn't run onto a gas attack battlefield with one but you aren't going to put on your NBC mask driving down the turnpike when you see smoke drifting over the highway from a chemical plant. You also won't have it in your briefcase. This is a corollary to the old ".32 in your pocket beats .45 in your nightstand" principle.

I have these in my briefcase (folded and inside two quart freezer bags), and one of each in my glove box.

I whipped one of these out and put it right on my face in front of government workers when they admitted we were working around Level 3 medical air handling equipment against regulations.

I'll wear one in a grocery store if something funny happens. None of you are throwing on a military NBC mask if something funny happens at work, and none of you are carrying around chemical or biological test equipment to know when "it's time."

Both have their place but I think the likelihood of me running into some disaster that requires me to have "escape protection" (no they are not certified for that) is greater than me facing a week long nerve gas challenge in my home. Which is the only place you are wearing a military NBC mask in jersey without a police response.