Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

NJ Non-resident FID?

He said to leave the NJ FID as is as long as I maintain a home in NJ... He then advised me to get a NJ non driver ID with my NJ address to use to purchase firearms in NJ. He also said I can purchase Pistols in Florida with my FL drivers lic and bring them home to NJ as long as they are NJ legal. That was a surprise.

Give that cop a donut!

So I tried to purchase a rifle at Ramsey Outdoors and they had a conniption when I mentioned dual-resident. They acted like I was a terrorist trying to purchase a firearm in NJ with a Florida DL.( plus proof of NJ residency like Tax Bill, utility bill, ect). I called a few other FFL's and they were not reassuring saying they could do it either... So I followed the advise given here. I got my NJ Boating Lic. That was an ordeal in itself at DMV.. At one point they wanted to put my FL address on it defeating the purpose. After 45 minutes at the Drivers License window the manager called the main office and found out I can choose whatever address I want... They wanted to make sure I had my vehicle registered in NJ.. (Like that should matter).. Next was 30 minutes trying to get the computer to accept it... I am literally the first one like this they have done in this office... The boat license used my old NJ drivers license number. So it think NICS should process it just fine. My question is do I even need to mention that I have a Florida Drivers Lic and am only a part time resident in NJ? 11bbfc97a6dc98c622a1bcaecb15e888.jpg

I'm a bit surprised that putting a NJ address on a boat license was that difficult for the MVC to do. From what I recall, most states require boats to be registered in the state where they are primarily kept and used, even if the owner lives in another state. You would think they would have some experience dealing with out of state residents registering boats to their NJ vacation homes - maybe licenses are a different matter?