StankMoney

First F2F pistol sale

Hey all, I joined up here about a year ago and have just been lurking. This is my first post...

Anyway, due to unfortunate circumstances, I'm going to have to sell a pistol. :( I've read all the stickies and I'm familiar with F2F sale laws, but still a little nervous... I just need to verify the buyer is who they say they are, and fill out the paperwork properly, right? Do you guys do anything above and beyond? I'm half-tempted to go through an FFL, but that just adds extra expense and hassle.

Where do you guys usually meet for a sale? A range? Should I call ahead and ask if they're OK with me potentially "taking a sale" from them? I've never had to sell a gun before, and I just don't wanna look silly haha. Thanks in advance!

Nick

Turnpike rest area and WaWa parking lot have been the most unconventional discrete transaction locations I've used.

The seller's home and a range have been the easiest to both examine the gun and do the paperwork.

The seller fills out the buyer's 4 part permit and gets to see the buyer's matching-address drivers license

They both sign, buyer keeps pink copy, seller keeps blue copy.

Seller mails top and 2nd copy to NJSP and issuing agency (to change the registration of the handgun from him to the buyer)

Easy peasy

Lol uh oh. I guess I'm more concerned with where to actually have the sale take place. I'd rather not do it at my house, but I guess that's the best option. I just don't know if selling my gun at a range that sells guns would upset the range owners. And, in this state, selling a gun in a parking lot where someone could see it and get the wrong idea scares me a bit haha.

Best place is a location where in NJ it is legal for both buyer AND seller to possess the gun.  Thus a range or a gun store is the best place.  Strictly speaking there is no reason you need to tell the place what you are doing.  If you sell it in your garage, then by a strict interpretation of the law the buyer (assuming no carry permit) is in illegal possession once he takes possession as your home is not an exempt location for him.

Best place is a location where in NJ it is legal for both buyer AND seller to possess the gun.  Thus a range or a gun store is the best place.  Strictly speaking there is no reason you need to tell the place what you are doing.  If you sell it in your garage, then by a strict interpretation of the law the buyer (assuming no carry permit) is in illegal possession once he takes possession as your home is not an exempt location for him.

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

EDIT:

In the extremely rare event that the buyer gets pulled over AND has his/her vehicle searched, he/she is still 100% legal under even our stupid laws.

Thanks howard. I guess that does make the most sense, and kind of confirm my initial thoughts. Now, I just gotta find a buyer haha. Thanks all for your responses

What are you selling?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

EDIT:

In the extremely rare event that the buyer gets pulled over AND has his/her vehicle searched, he/she is still 100% legal under even our stupid laws.

Never new about the any place of purchase - thanks for pointing that out.  Gotta love our laws.

I am not allowed to post in there yet haha. A few weeks shy of being here a year, and I was a lurker, not a poster :p

I believe with the newer marketplace you really don't have to wait since you pay the fee,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm a little Leary of bringing in a stranger to my home.,

I've had the same transaction as Howard. Either inside my garage (and I am armed). Or at the table on my back deck. I have met at RTSP a few times and made the transaction. Never a problem yet.

I believe with the newer marketplace you really don't have to wait since you pay the fee,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Tells me I don't have permission to start topics in that forum :shrug:

Also, glad to see I'm not the only one who's a bit uncomfortable selling out of my house. I just feel like that's potentially asking for trouble... Cars and bikes I've done from my house, but that's altogether different...

Tells me I don't have permission to start topics in that forum :shrug:

Also, glad to see I'm not the only one who's a bit uncomfortable selling out of my house. I just feel like that's potentially asking for trouble... Cars and bikes I've done from my house, but that's altogether different...

Why? You will have a copy of the buyers information. The people that take the time to actually go get a p2p are not the ones you need to worry about.

Why? You will have a copy of the buyers information. The people that take the time to actually go get a p2p are not the ones you need to worry about.

I understand that, and I understand that legal gun owners are not the ones that should concern me, blah blah. I'd rather just not have people come to my house at all, unless there's no other option. I dunno, I guess I don't really have an explanation? The fact that I don't know who the heck I'm giving my name and address to over the Internet always bugged me a bit. And then telling them there's firearms in my house also makes me nervous... Suppose I fall in the "tinfoil" crowd.

It's not a crowd, it's a club. Welcome to the club.

There is no group of people that is even 90% trustworthy by headcount. Nobody is coming to my house either. You can say he has this or is willing to fill out that but all scams and all attacks involve subterfuge. All security is physical first and foremost. Once you are a decent guy it's a parking lot and I'm bringing a friend. If it was Jersey it would be a range for me since I couldn't carry elsewhere for the most part.

It just comes down to personal preference.

It's not a crowd, it's a club. Welcome to the club.

There is no group of people that is even 90% trustworthy by headcount. Nobody is coming to my house either. You can say he has this or is willing to fill out that but all scams and all attacks involve subterfuge. All security is physical first and foremost. Once you are a decent guy it's a parking lot and I'm bringing a friend. If it was Jersey it would be a range for me since I couldn't carry elsewhere for the most part.

It just comes down to personal preference.

You can't carry at a range in NJ, if that makes any sense. Nor can you rapid fire, double tap, or draw from a holster. That's

reserved for the privileged only. Our ranges are as bad as our laws.

At least you are legal to carry a your firearm in your garage.

Even being allowed to carry in your house doesn't mean you are, by any means, going to be OK legally if you have to defend yourself... At least if you're at a range, where there's a dozen people and dozens of guns, I think it would be a deterrent... And again, I never need to give my address out to someone I can't even see.