JaketheMoose

Pocket 9mm opinions

the Kahr cm9 is on my what the heck why not list. Need to use a permit in the family very soon so maybe...and Kahr has acurrent promo for a freextra mag going. they' re just not easy to get a hand on to look at. all reviews agree the pull is very smooth but it is a dao pull so a little long so I hear.

Ok... So the Kahr and nano seem to get great reviews... I think I'm taking the sccy off the list. And adding those two, so I went from 3 to 4, lol! Ive held the mp and the ruger and really like the feel. The ruger had the viridian laser, I liked that feature. I love my gp100 so maybe that's why I want to love the lc9 so much.

I've heard very little about these and don't know anyone who has one. But the nano has perked my curiosity.

I shot a Nano once.  Didn't like it.  Harder to control than a Shield, which I like and own. :)

My vote is for the PM9. Great single stack 9mm. Has good usable sights unlike a lot of smaller/pocket guns. Holds 6+1 (I carry 7 round extended mags as reloads) and has a nice trigger, reminiscent of a nice double action revolver. It is small enough for pocket carry, big enough for holster CCW. I carry it often as BUG to a full size pistol either in a pocket or on my ankle. Occasionally it is my primary carry piece on my hip in a Comp-Tac IWB. It's nice having full power 9mm in a compact and shootable package.

The S&W Shield is nice, but it's a bit big for pocket carry. It's is a great AIWB. The grip is big enough for a secure draw, the safety makes sure you don't castrate yourself and the barrel is short enough that it is comfortable when sitting.

If you can wait, Glock is rumored to be making that new single stack .380 in 9mm. I am eagerly anticipating its release, but at the same time I'm not holding my breath.

I've read many reviews about the SCCY 2 and they were all generally positive.  The only potential issue could be the DAO trigger.  It's a little heavier and has a tiny bit of take up.  Overall it's reliable and small, it fits the pocket/nightstand role well.  But you will have to get used to the trigger.

Looking for a pocket 9mm for CC and the night stand. I'm looking to spend no more than 4 bills and have narrowed it down to these three:

Ruger LC9

SCCY CPX2

MP9 Shield

Thoughts on these or others I may be overlooking? Thanks in advance

I have an LC9, you're welcome to shoot it if you're North.  You won't be too happy.  Trigger is long, recoil is stout.  In my opinion, not many of these are true pocket guns unless you are wearing cargo pants.

I have a Shield and have shot most of the guns mentioned. The Shield shoots the nicest , but it is definitely not a pocket gun. It fits into a useless category of " has the disadvantage of reduced capacity without the advantage of being able to put it in a pocket holster , but shoots nice " .  If there actually was a need for a gun in that category , it would win hands down. It could be concealed in a bag or fanny pack ( shudder) ..but if you are going to do that why not go with a little more capacity?

Useless fun to shoot non pocket gun. I do tuck it in my yoga pants with a small leather IWB holster when I am home alone. In case the dogs for some odd reason would not give me ample warning to get to my safe to get a real gun if someone was trying to break in.  

Want to buy mine? lol

I have a Shield and have shot most of the guns mentioned. The Shield shoots the nicest , but it is definitely not a pocket gun. It fits into a useless category of " has the disadvantage of reduced capacity without the advantage of being able to put it in a pocket holster , but shoots nice " .  If there actually was a need for a gun in that category , it would win hands down. It could be concealed in a bag or fanny pack ( shudder) ..but if you are going to do that why not go with a little more capacity?

Useless fun to shoot non pocket gun. I do tuck it in my yoga pants with a small leather IWB holster when I am home alone. In case the dogs for some odd reason would not give me ample warning to get to my safe to get a real gun if someone was trying to break in.  

Want to buy mine? lol

And that is the reason I did not run out to buy one......  the M&P 9 compact does all that, with larger grip, and more rounds....   

There was aI think one or two used Kahrs over at Otto's last time I was there. Not sure of the models...

My friends wife has a Nano and it's way to small for my hands.

Or Bud's... http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_51/products_id/27919

I am a proponent of concealed carry over open carry, even though I can do either without a permit. Having spent an entire year in the desert, I have come to retire my Rourbaugh to the safe and carry a safety-less 9mm Shield on the hip. And on the really hot days, my Seecamp 380 goes in my pocket. I actually carry less than I did in NJ, because I feel safer.

PM9 after a lot of research I went for the extra $100.

Light, thin, and not the worst trigger.

What did you find in your research that made you go with the PM9 over the CM9? It looks like most of the differences between the 2 are cosmetic and nothing that would affect reliability?