FLHX

USPSA class #'s and state break down

I'm actually very surprised that the numbers are not much larger.  I would have assumed on a national basis there would be a lot more than 24,000 or so members.  Does any one have a clue what similar numbers are for IDPA?

Its interesting to see that 60324, or roughly 2.5 times the number of current members either have quit or died.

I think both org need to have the NRA send out some more junk mail to inform gun owners that our sport even exist. Only partly kidding, I think more marketing is needed.

I'm actually very surprised that the numbers are not much larger. I would have assumed on a national basis there would be a lot more than 24,000 or so members. Does any one have a clue what similar numbers are for IDPA?

Its interesting to see that 60324, or roughly 2.5 times the number of current members either have quit or died.

I was also supprised bu how few their are. Figured with them putting out a good magazine and all there would be more members.

There are many things at play.

1) If we had double the shooters, I'm not sure we could hold matches of the same quality. As match quality would decrease, so would attendance and a balance would be found

2) Our hobby is expensive. Not everyone is willing to shoot 200 rounds in a match plus whatever to practice

3) There is a VAST number of people who would never compete because they don't think as competition as something for them. Some won't ever compete because the buy the BS of "it will kill you on the street". Some feel like the don't belong. Basically they'll never shoot any competition of any sort

4) Lots of people don't shoot handguns for fun, but they'll shoot rifle, or shotgun, or air gun competition.

5) Lots of people won't commit a day or two a month

6) Lots of people get discouraged.

7) Lots of people shoot matches without every joining an organization.

8) Around here we have so much competition, of every possible type, that people will pick whatever they like best, in other place with lower population density you have fewer options so you shoot whats available. 

9) If you add steel, IDPA, USPS, 3gun,  PPC, cowboy, etc, there are hundreds of thousands of "action shooters". Think how many people own cars. How many of them race them?

10) Guns are icky. Lots of people, even gun owners, sometimes fall to the "gun are bad" bullshit and while they may want to keep their guns, they may not want to associate with "those crazy people at the range"

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

There are many things at play.

1) If we had double the shooters, I'm not sure we could hold matches of the same quality. As match quality would decrease, so would attendance and a balance would be found

2) Our hobby is expensive. Not everyone is willing to shoot 200 rounds in a match plus whatever to practice

3) There is a VAST number of people who would never compete because they don't think as competition as something for them. Some won't ever compete because the buy the BS of "it will kill you on the street". Some feel like the don't belong. Basically they'll never shoot any competition of any sort

4) Lots of people don't shoot handguns for fun, but they'll shoot rifle, or shotgun, or air gun competition.

5) Lots of people won't commit a day or two a month

6) Lots of people get discouraged.

7) Lots of people shoot matches without every joining an organization.

8) Around here we have so much competition, of every possible type, that people will pick whatever they like best, in other place with lower population density you have fewer options so you shoot whats available. 

9) If you add steel, IDPA, USPS, 3gun,  PPC, cowboy, etc, there are hundreds of thousands of "action shooters". Think how many people own cars. How many of them race them?

10) Guns are icky. Lots of people, even gun owners, sometimes fall to the "gun are bad" bullshit and while they may want to keep their guns, they may not want to associate with "those crazy people at the range"

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Most of those are all valid points.  I think if more people got involved there would be more places that would hold competitions.  The way I was looking at it is there are so many people that buy a hand gun and tuck it in a draw.  Many more that actually go to a range a few times a year, but that is the extent of their training.  It would be great if all those people got involved and actually learned to shoot at something "quickly".  So many don't practice at all or if they do they carefully fire one shot after aiming for 90 seconds.  Also think how it would help us with the idiots in Trenton if we were able to get more than a few hundred people involved.

Competition is uncomfortable for a lot of people. They know how good they are and they come out to a match and get their ego trashed by a 60 year old out of shape desk jockey or a 40 year old accountant or...pick any 'non-athletic' type and they don;t come back.

Vlad hit most of the others I can think of; time, money, interest, stupidity. OK, that last might be a bit harsh, but learning to shoot fast under time preasure is not bad. What will 'get you killed on the street' is not being able to hit a target when you are under pressure. Think how many people we all know that can't hit the paper at 25 yards!

I'm very glad to see it is as healthy as it is, but I agree that without more ranges hosting events, there is little point to (or chance of) growing the membership much more.

I loved shooting ipsc, but stopped almost 20 years ago because there were far too many shooters for the available ranges. I just couldn't deal with investing 8-10 hours a day to shoot for two minutes aggregate time.

I loved shooting ipsc, but stopped almost 20 years ago because there were far too many shooters for the available ranges. I just couldn't deal with investing 8-10 hours a day to shoot for two minutes aggregate time.

You gotta come down to SC then.  The two matches I go to host 70+ people and are done in about 4 hours or less!

I'm sort of surprised how many members are from Commiefornia and how few are in NH.  Although I think NH is more into IDPA.

Ugh, you're going to shoot revolver for another 2 years?  Why punish yourself like that

They should open a new category of matchlock pistol. It would help the revolver guys self esteem by not being the slowest reloaders.

Or do they try to reload in slow motion? ;)