Sign in to follow this  
MidwestPX

Luth-AR swivel cup installation

I rigged up a Magpul ACS QD swivel cup to a Luth-AR stock. It was pretty easy.

1. Using a 13/64 drill bit, enlarge the hole in the swivel cup recess in the stock

2. Push the swivel cup into the recess. You may (will) need a hammer.

3. I used seven M5 flat washers and one M5 split washer on the opposite side to act as spacers/standoffs since the bolt is too long and if screwed down until flush, will interfere with the swivel as it's being inserted.

2rpr3ut.jpg

faaomu.jpg

Pretty good idea. Looks great too. I was gonna try this but no need for a sling on mine.

I carried my SPR for 3.5 hours last weekend as I was on an executive protection detail. ... Okay, I was carrying the rifle while my wife picked berries in an area where poachers have been sighted. Anyhow, I didn't have my rear sling swivel cup setup and my sling had the QD swivel sown in so I was SOL on slinging the rifle. We're doing it again this weekend but it'll be an all day thing so I figured I should get the rifle right.

I carried my SPR for 3.5 hours last weekend as I was on an executive protection detail. ... Okay, I was carrying the rifle while my wife picked berries in an area where poachers have been sighted. Anyhow, I didn't have my rear sling swivel cup setup and my sling had the QD swivel sown in so I was SOL on slinging the rifle. We're doing it again this weekend but it'll be an all day thing so I figured I should get the rifle right.

Well then I definitely would have got it done too lol. I have my midlength setup with sling mounts... But if I were carrying the SPR around for that long I would have made a sling out of something... Lol

Once you start shooting your SPR, you may be surprised at which rifle you gravitate toward. I shoot my SPR more than anything else now and I've got SBRs and machine guns. It's just so much fun to shoot and it's so accurate, it feels like cheating. If I was in a shoothouse, I'd take my SBR but other than that, my SPR has more or less become my go-to rifle. Anyhow, I now have all rifles set up to use my padded VCAS with QD swivels.

Once you start shooting your SPR, you may be surprised at which rifle you gravitate toward. I shoot my SPR more than anything else now and I've got SBRs and machine guns. It's just so much fun to shoot and it's so accurate, it feels like cheating. If I was in a shoothouse, I'd take my SBR but other than that, my SPR has more or less become my go-to rifle. Anyhow, I now have all rifles set up to use my padded VCAS with QD swivels.

How do you like the VCAS? I have the VTAC bungee and I'm not a fan of it simply because of the bungee. That's what I thought I would like about it too...

How do you like the VCAS? I have the VTAC bungee and I'm not a fan of it simply because of the bungee. That's what I thought I would like about it too...

I've used a padded VCAS for four years or so now and taken it through numerous carbine courses as well as entire days on the range outside of formal instruction. Slings are an exercise in compromise, IMO. The padded VCAS with the quick adjust tab is my favorite because I'm almost as fast transitioning shoulders with it as I am with a single point sling but without all the single point sling disadvantages and it's exceptionally comfortable.