Sign in to follow this  
magnawing

Got a "New" .22 rifle today....

Just got home and cleaned it up for picture day. Here's the low-down

Western Field Model M846 sold by Montgomery Ward from '65-'71...made by Mossberg and sold as the 351C. This one was bought in '66.

Has the original 3-7X20 scope and leather sling (which is severely showing it's age)

Sat in my parents' closet for 30+ years relatively untouched so it will need to go visit Chris @ Backwoods for some barrel beautification.

And now......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This signature is AWESOME!!!

I'm going to have the barrel cerakoted @Backwoods Custom Coatings as soon as I can free up an extra $100.

It is your rifle...but that seems like a bit of a travesty to me. Leave spraypaint for tacticool stuff. The pitted bluing gives it extra character, and a reblueing job will be 1000x nicer than paint. It isn't difficult to do it yourself.

It is your rifle...but that seems like a bit of a travesty to me. Leave spraypaint for tacticool stuff. The pitted bluing gives it extra character, and a reblueing job will be 1000x nicer than paint. It isn't difficult to do it yourself.

what is this spray paint you speak of..

what is this spray paint you speak of..

IIRC duracote, alumahyde, ceracote, and the like are just spray paints. They're not a chemical reaction like bluing, parkerizing, etc and they're also not powdercoating. That doesn't make them bad products, I know I like my lower which is painted.

It's just that bluing or polished stainless belong on some guns, and paint makes it look cheap IMHO.

IIRC duracote, alumahyde, ceracote, and the like are just spray paints. They're not a chemical reaction like bluing, parkerizing, etc and they're also not powdercoating. That doesn't make them bad products, I know I like my lower which is painted.

It's just that bluing or polished stainless belong on some guns, and paint makes it look cheap IMHO.

fair enough... cerakote is a little different than paint in that it almost has like a dry ceramic coating feel to it...  but I know what you mean.. I would just not lump it in with "spray paint" lol

fair enough... cerakote is a little different than paint in that it almost has like a dry ceramic coating feel to it... but I know what you mean.. I would just not lump it in with "spray paint" lol

No where close to the spray paint /duracote family. Cerekote is ceramic based. It is thinner than powder coat, has more color options, and if I'm not mistaken it is more durable too.

He can do the barrel in flat black and it wouldn't even look painted unless you were giving it an up close inspection.

No where close to the spray paint /duracote family. Cerekote is ceramic based. It is thinner than powder coat, has more color options, and if I'm not mistaken it is more durable too.

He can do the barrel in flat black and it wouldn't even look painted unless you were giving it an up close inspection.

My original point was that bluing or even the original patina is nicer for this rifle than any paint product, in my opinion. It is a bit like putting blingy rims and some hooptie paintjob on Dads '67 Camaro. 

Also... Cerekote is spraypaint technically. As far as I know it is mixed with a solvent and sprayed with a gun. Certainly not a bad product and not the same as Krylon you find on the shelf. Didn't mean to step on any toes haha. 

I was considering Cerekote but Alumahyde was easier.

google electrolysis using "washing soda".   It's easy to do with just a tub of water, washing soda from Walmart, and a car battery charger.  It will clean up that barrel in a few hours and get rid of every little bit of rust.  After you do that, rub on a fine coat of oil and you'll be good to go.  It will still have that old gun patina but it won't look rusty at all.

I did an old shotgun this way and was amazed how easy it was and how it turned an old rusty gun into a very sharp looking antique.   I used a 3' long plastic window sill planter from home depot as the tank to dip the barrel and receiver.  Lots of websites explain the process.  Make it this weekend's project and Dad's gun will look great by Monday.

Thanks mg...I'll look into that. I'd rather keep it original but the rust is just bugging the hell out of me. Still gonna give Cerakote a try on my Stoeger slide though. Not an antique, just a regular old shootin' gun.

Yes. He was the original owner. He bought it for squirrel & rabbit hunting.

Under the Mossberg brand, this was the model 351C (carbine version of the Model 151.) It was also known as the "Jack Rabbit Special."

$T2eC16Z,!%29kE9s4,BEDtBRZzT%29NK0w~~60_

Yeah. You can buy a very nice .22 rifle for under $200. Keep and preserve this, clean it up but don't re-do it. And by all means shoot it. It will do much better than you think.