AdamaSys

Shipping air guns to NJ from out of state

We all know that bringing air guns that were purchased out of state into NJ is fine provided that the guns are NJ compliant.  (Ex. drive to Cabelas, buy a pellet rifle, drive back to NJ)

We also know that interstate shipping of firearms to yourself is legal as per the ATF.  (https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons)

The question is: Can one ship an air rifle that was purchased out of state while on vacation back to himself in NJ?

This is virtually the same as the "driving back from Cabelas" scenario except that a third party actually transports the air gun.

... but it is legal to ship a firearm to yourself.  Big game hunters do this all the time.  

If that's the case, why not buy something on amazon (out of state, so out of state purchase), and have it shipped to your door?  Talking rifles here... 

Having Amazon ship to you is a transfer. It's fine in most states, as they realize an air gun isn't a firearm. In NJ, not so much.

The "ship it to yourself" option requires that you be the owner on both ends of the transaction. You are present when you ship, and are present when you receive. Only then is it not a transfer.

The "ship it to yourself" option requires that you be the owner on both ends of the transaction. You are present when you ship, and are present when you receive. Only then is it not a transfer.

Interesting view.  Any idea where it says you have to be the one present at the post office?  =)  I would think as soon as I pay the money, the product is mine, and they are shipping me my product.

Interesting view.  Any idea where it says you have to be the one present at the post office?  =)  I would think as soon as I pay the money, the product is mine, and they are shipping me my product.

I disagree.. as you have not taken possession yet.. if your logic was accurate you could order rifles online and have them shipped to your house..

in NJ it is a firearm.. so as stated by others all firearm laws apply.. 

I have a question.

If I purchase a product online from a seller in Mississippi: Does the transaction happen in NJ or in Mississippi?

If the transaction happens in Mississippi, the transfer happened there so it seems that it should be legal to have the pellet rifle shipped to me since no transfer happens in NJ.

If the transaction happens in NJ, the transfer happened here and that's illegal.

While the same rules might supply, let's not call them firearms. Yes, NJ law misuses the term, but we shouldn't.

You can argue terminology all you want but if you're talking about airguns to NJ they are firearms.

This was answered by the NJ AG several years ago when she decided CMP couldn't ship rifles directly to NJ residents. This was in spite of the fact it had been done for over 40 years under present NJ law. The AG made it clear the transfer must be face to face in NJ whether it be from a private person or FFL.

You can argue terminology all you want but if you're talking about airguns to NJ they are firearms.

I'm not arguing that the courts in NJ won't consider them firearms, as that is how the law here is written, and we must remain cognizant of that.

But...the anti gunners work hard to change commonly used terms to cast guns in the most negative light they can.  And they're being successful...it's one of the ways they sway the non-gun owning public.

So...I will NOT refer to an air gun as a 'firearm', and if the term gets misused in a conversation in which I'm taking part, I'll explain the difference.

I will NOT refer to every semiautomatic as an 'assault weapon' or an 'automatic', and if the term gets misused in a conversation in which I'm taking part, I'll explain the difference.

I will NOT refer to a standard 30 round AR mag as 'high capacity', and if the term gets misused in a conversation in which I'm taking part, I'll explain the difference.

I will NOT refer to any bolt action rifle as a 'sniper rifle', and if the term gets misused in a conversation in which I'm taking part, I'll explain the difference.

It's my little effort to educate the non-gun owning public, one voter at a time.

I'm not arguing that the courts in NJ won't consider them firearms, as that is how the law here is written, and we must remain cognizant of that.

But...the anti gunners work hard to change commonly used terms to cast guns in the most negative light they can.  And they're being successful...it's one of the ways they sway the non-gun owning public.

So...I will NOT refer to an air gun as a 'firearm', and if the term gets misused in a conversation in which I'm taking part, I'll explain the difference.

I will NOT refer to every semiautomatic as an 'assault weapon' or an 'automatic', and if the term gets misused in a conversation in which I'm taking part, I'll explain the difference.

I will NOT refer to a standard 30 round AR mag as 'high capacity', and if the term gets misused in a conversation in which I'm taking part, I'll explain the difference.

I will NOT refer to any bolt action rifle as a 'sniper rifle', and if the term gets misused in a conversation in which I'm taking part, I'll explain the difference.

It's my little effort to educate the non-gun owning public, one voter at a time.

Bolt Action Rifle is a "squirrel rifle" (Bolt Action is also available in .22 lr)

30 Round AR Magazine is "Standard Capacity"

Less than 30 Round Magazine is "insufficient Capacity"

Semi Automatic Rifle is a "Standard Rifle"

Assault Gun is a "Standard Capacity Rifle"

Air gun is an "pneumatic delivery device" like an air pump to inflate tires.

Ask the anti-gunners why New Jersey has such weak self defense laws and what do they intend to strengthen them.

I wonder what their answer would be.

Peace Out

I disagree.. as you have not taken possession yet.. if your logic was accurate you could order rifles online and have them shipped to your house..

in NJ it is a firearm.. so as stated by others all firearm laws apply.. 

Vlad, I agree with you, forgetting that we treat air rifles as 'firearms', NJ would want to do the paperwork, etc.  Though someone posted above, if buying from out of state, it would be interesting to determine when possession (legally) took place.

anyway, easy solution

Order online, ship to Amazon locker in PA.  Pick up from locker, drive back to NJ.  Get best price and be legal!