Zeke

Educate me on bows

Plan. Shoot bow of deck for stress relief .

@ 50'

Don't wana buy cheap, ( ain't doing the Olympics either)but not planning on hunting anytime soon. Father in law hunts, so maybe.

I can pull my own weight, shot now @30 yrs ago when I lived in Ohio. But, that was along time ago....

What should I look for?

What's a good brand?

What's a good price point for my purpose?

I just bought a Bear Legion from Dicks yesterday at $100 off plus some rewards ($399 without rewards). Had them adjust the draw length and I did the rest with my sights and arrows last night. Thing is super quiet and I could hold it drawn all day with its 80% let off.

I just bought a mission riot. Decent starter bow that's adjustable from 30-75 pounds.

The line of Riots may range from 30-75# but I don't think a particular Riot can be ranged from 30-75# without at least changing the cams. Typically a good bow has a range of 10 or 15#.

Got a link to that picture? For $200 there has to be a reason why he still has it. No way I could pass up a $200 Hoyt

Used bows have little resale value.

Since bows have little resale value it is important to make your first purchase count [unless you just like to drop lots of coin upgrading every couple of years]. Try out a lot of different bows before you buy. Most of the good places will let you shoot them first. Don't buy a cheap model or "beginner" bow. You will out grow it quickly and have limited tuning options. I'm not saying go out and drop $1500 on a Hoyt Carbon Spyder but definitely don't skimp out on a $400 bow that can't scale with you.

Since bows have little resale value it is important to make your first purchase count [unless you just like to drop lots of coin upgrading every couple of years]. Try out a lot of different bows before you buy. Most of the good places will let you shoot them first. Don't buy a cheap model or "beginner" bow. You will out grow it quickly and have limited tuning options. I'm not saying go out and drop $1500 on a Hoyt Carbon Spyder but definitely don't skimp out on a $400 bow that can't scale with you.

^^^ This...  Definitely don't skimp if you want a good bow... But also no need to go with top of the line.  I've got a Hoyt Rampage XT that I bought a couple of years ago that I absolutely LOVE!  Even though I have a Hoyt, and I'm partial to them... you can't go wrong with either Hoyt, Mathews or Bowtech.

You didn't specify if you want a traditional type bow (recurve or longbow) or a compound bow.

Whatever your budget is, also make sure you account for decent arrows. You will first need to figure out what poundage you want your bow to be. If you are starting out, don't go too heavy, as this will make it harder for you to learn proper draw technique. Once you know your poundage, you have to figure out your draw length. These two figures can help you determine what type and length of arrows to get.