nitrospaz9

Is this legal?

Even the .22's made in Italy are verboten, sadly.  The list of banned firearms, when dealing with the M1 reads "M1 Carbine type".  It's a catch-all to cover all of them.

ironically just like it states all AK types are illegal.. 

As i understand it, it is not banned by "Type" but by both Name & type

My correspondence with the State police states that as long as the rifle is not

Stamped as model "M1 Carbine" or "M1" and is a carbine (as opposed to a rifle)

the gun is legal in NJ.

I believe, like the AK's it falls under the "substantially identical" clause, and unless

marked as such, is not considered "identical"

So if the gun is called am M-22 carbine - it would be legal in NJ as long as it passes

the "Evil feature" checklist.

Seeing as it's a repro, perhaps you may be satisfied with a Ruger Mini-30. The "other" M1

Lol, everyone on the forums here will say not to buy a mini-30, and buy either an AR, SKS, or AK instead. When you ask why though people don't have a straight answer lol.

Not a lot of love for the mini platform here

Not everyone, I enjoy my Mini 14. would I grab it if SHTF? No, id grab my AR but my mini comes to the range just as much as my AR does. And mine is an older version that has the thin barrel that heats up and the accuracy is affected but it has allot of sentimental value to me and I would sell my AR before I sold my Mini 14.  

Not everyone, I enjoy my Mini 14. would I grab it if SHTF? No, id grab my AR but my mini comes to the range just as much as my AR does. And mine is an older version that has the thin barrel that heats up and the accuracy is affected but it has allot of sentimental value to me and I would sell my AR before I sold my Mini 14.  

Not at all picky about what type of ammoe they're fed, brass, steel, .223, 5.56, they go bang every single time the trigger is pulled, just not super accurate.

^^Yup a friend gave me about 100 rounds of some steel cased lacquer coated crap ammo that consistently would not eject from his stag AR and I shot every single round through my mini without any problems at all. He went out and bought a Mini

My mini-30 is as accurate as the SKSs I sold off.  With a trigger ugrade and a new buffer system, I will say it shoots better now.  Hey, it's a baby garand what's not to like?

A carbine in 30 caliber would be real sweet, however.  Doesn't even have to look like the M1.  There is a definite lack of pistol caliber carbines in the marketplace.  Guess they don't sell well, but I like them.

I posted on another thread that I was thinking of getting a Mini 30, as I like the look of it, and I bought a lot of steel cased 7.62x39 for my recently acquired Saiga.  But I have heard that there could be problems using it in the Mini 30.  Anyone have experience with that?

I had an M-1 carbine pre-NJ ban.  

Back then a pile of em had been re-imported to the US from Korea by the "Blue Sky" import co, and you could buy one in the $150-$175 range.  15 round WW II surplus magazines were $2-3 still in the wrapper!  They are fun to shoot - but the .30 carbine round is not particularly powerful, and the intrinsic accuracy of the platform simply is not there.  The S&W M&P 15 Sport "NJ Special" I picked-up several months ago is a much, much better firearm than the carbine could ever hope to be, and considering inflation over the last 25 years, probably a better deal.

I had an M-1 carbine pre-NJ ban.  

Back then a pile of em had been re-imported to the US from Korea by the "Blue Sky" import co, and you could buy one in the $150-$175 range.  15 round WW II surplus magazines were $2-3 still in the wrapper!  They are fun to shoot - but the .30 carbine round is not particularly powerful, and the intrinsic accuracy of the platform simply is not there.  The S&W M&P 15 Sport "NJ Special" I picked-up several months ago is a much, much better firearm than the carbine could ever hope to be, and considering inflation over the last 25 years, probably a better deal.

This always makes me chuckle.  There's a lot of dead Germans, Japanese, North Koreans, and Chinese that were on the wrong side of an M1 Carbine.  

I have a Universal M1 carbine on the shelf and every single day I get asked about it. It'll go on GB eventually. I sold a Mini 30 this week and have two Mini 14s on the shelf. They are legal as long as you play the "list the evil features" game.