efd162

1st build...please help

Im relatively new to the ar platform. Im going to attempt my first build. I have been doing some research, but im torn on what to do as far as barrel options. Should I get a complete upper or build it from the ground up. Im kinda leaning towards the later. I like the idea of building the "entire" gun myself. Im not in a hurry, and I think I would enjoy the experience. I have the stripped lower already and putting my list of goodies together for that build. The upper is what's killing me. With that said, any input on barrels and gas blocks and other parts along with an upper ofcourse.

Building the upper is no more difficult than assembling a lower.  Just make sure you have the right tools. The following is the same advice I gave another 1st time builder here just a couple weeks ago.

If there is only one piece of advice I can give you, it's this.  Build your rifle around the barrel.  First figure out what kind of rifle you want, more to the point, what is the rifles purpose in life.  Is it home defense, competition, hunting, just a few fun weekends each year at the range breaking shit or some other purpose? 

A short light barrel (14.5" with muzzle device to bring it to 16+ inches) will get you out of most bad situations in tight spaces.  A heavier 16" barrel will do the same as the aforementioned with more endurance.  If you want better accuracy look into Wylde chambered barrels, If you want to shoot longer ranges without having a big long honking barrel an 18" heavy bbl can help you reach out and touch something.  If you tend to neglect your firearms get a stainless steel bbl.  If you want to shoot rodents at 400 yards a 20" or longer heavy or bull bbl is the ticket.  If you are going to overspend on anything, it should be the barrel.  The best trigger, laser, scope or stock wont help much if the barrel is shit.

EDIT: Also, twist rate is quite important.  If you will be shooting cheap 55gr or 62gr milsurp range fodder then a 1:9 will be fine.  If you plan on shooting longer ranges with heavier bullets (67gr or heavier) then a 1:8 or 1:7 should be considered.

In many regards, rifles are like golf clubs.  Sure you can play the entire course with a sand wedge, but having the right club (rifle) for a particular shot will make the game a lot easier.  In any case, the bbl is the club head and the rest is just a matter of accessories.

Efd, welcome to the ar craze!

I would recommend looking at a complete upper here in NJ. Simple put, barrels and triggers make rifles in my personal opinion. In commie nj you will have to pin any break you get unless you buy an unthreaded barrel, also some tools would be recommended for barrel nut that might not be worth it if you don't plan to do this a lot. You would be well served to check out BCM. I find they offer a great barrel, and they also allow you a slew of options when it comes to hand guards, and breaks. They also cut their gas port a bit smaller then most, and this should result in a smoother shooting rifle. Again, unless you poses some of the items needed to properly complete an upper, you money is well spent on the many complete choices BCM offers. And they do a great job with bolt carrier groups as well. I would recommend using their BFH ( their version of cold hammer forging) barrels.

I'm sure you will here many opinions on this topic, mine come from building many of these from the ground up. So take it for what it's worth.

Build it.  Outside of the torqueing of the barrel nut, checking headspace, and welding the brake, it is a simple process if you have experience with hand tools. 

Plenty of knowledge on this board, use it.  Plenty of friends here also to help you out!

FYI, building it while not cheaper will give you the exact build you are looking for.  Anything else is just compromising. 

I know already you can do it.

Earl,

Thanks..... Yeah I'm kinda bit hard by the ar bug. I appreciate the info I'll check them out. If I decide to go with the option and build the upper from scratch, when I buy the barrel does it come with the barrel nut and how do I determine which gas block? By the diameter of the barrel I buy? Sorry for the ignorance !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You kind of nailed it. Even if you build from scratch, I would still say my BCM barrels have been the best. Barrel nut will be determined mostly from your handguard choice, so that shouldn't be an issue. And yeah, dependent on handguard you might need a low pro gas block, and the barrel will list its diameter for block.

If you are good with tools, com idea yourself proficient, go for it" I find thou, some people will give the " just build it " advice because THEY are mechanically inclined. I run the line of either way just get a rifle done and enjoy it. There is no shame in not being comfortable with builds. And since I don't know you, these are obviously general thoughts. Everyone has strength and weakness. Some people are financial geniuses, I spend way to much money on firearms... Lol.

If you haven't done so, you might want to hook up with some guys at your local boom boom location, and ask them to shoot different set ups. Handguards and stocks are pretty personal feel things, and I might love something you will hate. This is also the best and worst part about the ar platform. :-)

Earl,

I'm no mechanic but I have a basic knowledge of your common hand tools ...Lol. That's why I'm interested in the ground up build. I think it will be rewarding to finally shoot something you build an then to shoot the rounds you made as well! I also do some reloading..lol. Just another aspect to the hobby....

I bought a complete spikes upper for my first build. Not one complaint about it. It was my first build so I was scared to do the upper myself. I'm on my second build now and bought all the parts to do the upper myself. Its definitely not cheaper to build, but you get exactly what you want.

Look up twist rates and decide whats best for you and what you're looking to do.

If you want to stay around 16" you could go with a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5" or longer break also.

From what i see, most rails come with the barrel nut. You just have to find the proper sized gas block and tube for your set up. And figure out how you want to mount your front sight.

i would definitely build it. you'll come to understand how everything goes together, works, functions and as most people will tell you, you won't build just one rifle...so buying some tools, you'll get some mileage out of them over your lifetime.

just research your parts, bookmark some vendors websites like midwestpx, bcm, spikes tactical, yankee hill machine, etc and read up on the different triggers, barrels, handguards, and you'll learn what works with what.  take some time to browse through the ar picture thread here - you'll get to see different ar's along with a list of parts used for each, it's a good way to learn/identify what works with what.

and of course you have the forum.  i've learned a lot just browsing and reading.  treat your "ar bug" like a hobby and enjoy...

i would definitely build it. you'll come to understand how everything goes together, works, functions and as most people will tell you, you won't build just one rifle...so buying some tools, you'll get some mileage out of them over your lifetime.

just research your parts, bookmark some vendors websites like midwestpx, bcm, spikes tactical, yankee hill machine, etc and read up on the different triggers, barrels, handguards, and you'll learn what works with what.  take some time to browse through the ar picture thread here - you'll get to see different ar's along with a list of parts used for each, it's a good way to learn/identify what works with what.

and of course you have the forum.  i've learned a lot just browsing and reading.  treat your "ar bug" like a hobby and enjoy...

I've helped a few folks on this forum build their first AR via the phone simply because there are so many questions and the complete answers are so lengthy, it's easier and faster to talk it out than type. efd162, feel free to give me a call at 815.246.2715 and I'd be happy to answer your questions or give you recommendations, even if it isn't something I stock. We're closed until Tuesday due to a family emergency but after that, I'll be back in and available to help.

You can take a look at my first AR build for some lower goodies.

I will be posting pictures ofy second later in the week once I pick up some parts from cerekote. Most of that build was ordered from MidwestPX or spare parts from replacing them on my first.

Check out the thread I started when I decided I wanted to purchase an AR:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/64490-good-entry-level-off-the-shelf-buy/page-10#entry896636

I ended up building the lower and purchasing complete upper. If I can do it ANYONE can. Next build I'll prob build the upper as well.

If you need a comp/brake check out Wheaton Arms. I'm pretty impressed with it.

Good luck and if you have questions feel free to ask.

I'm in the process of getting my upper together. I decided on a mid length gas system and will be buying from Ty and Midwest Px once I get the money together. He has a kick ass deal on a complete upper plus barrel (minus hand guards, sight base, or bolt carrier group) at 229.00 and it's everything I want. 1:8 twist, mid length, non chromed 16 inch barrel chambered for 5.56

If you keep your eyes open and search the various vendors out there you'll find exactly what you're looking for too.

And I'll agree with everyone saying the forum is a good source of information. I got a lot of help when I first started getting an idea together for my first build. And YouTube guides on how to assemble everything help tremendously.