Just got back from a really good range session with my daughter ( almost 8) . She has been to the range about 10 times now , and has been shooting the 10/22 which is too big for her. She hates the Cricket. Her hands are SO small ( Most 5 year olds are bigger than she ) that when she has her finger on the trigger , that bolt flies back and pinches her thumb every time. In other words , her size of her hands means when she has her finger on the trigger her thumbs gets in the way of the bolt.

Is there anything Cricket sized that does not have a bolt action in the back like that ? Any other suggestions? I tried her on a few 22 handguns. Hands are just still too small , so they are out of the question for a few years at least. 

I think on the Cricket , after you pull the bolt back to chamber the round , it stays back a bit and then moves forward when the trigger is pulled? That is the only thing I can think of that may be pinching her thumb like that , since it is not a semi auto. Draws a little blood too. Puzzling , but it happens consistently

Mrs. Pete - can you get a pic of her holding the Crickett?  I can't imagine the 3d positioning necessary for her to get her thumb caught.  Do you think the Crickett could be modified??

Most semi autos are going to be MUCH heavier and if she's as small (and dainty) as you imply, I can't imagine she can handle much more weight.  (not joking)

I don't , but I saw a video where an about 4 or 5 year old was close to having the same issue , but was just clear of the firing pin. My daughter is 34 pounds at 7 years old :)  I am trying to post the youtube video so you can see the positioning and how a smaller hand would have the thumb under the bolt you have to pull back to shoot..but for some reason since I got this new laptop I cant paste anything while posting , nor can I quote a poster. No idea why.

Thanks Pizza Bob for the cut and paste fix :) 

If you watch that video and start watching at about 6:23 otherwise it is 6 minutes of him talking while she plays with her shoes ..you can see how her thumb is JUST behind the cocked firing pin..my daughter's hand must be smaller because her thumb goes under it and gets pinched when she fires a round.

really ? That is very nice of you :) I actually do not have a 10/22 ..she uses the one at Gun For Hire . She likes it. So maybe the same gun in a short stock is the way to go for her. Send me a PM with your location and all , then if I pick up a 10/22 for her I'll give you a head's up. Thanks again ! 

My buddy's daughters both shoot a cricket one is 10 the other 8, took them to flatbrook one day and brought my GSG-522-SD. Both of them tried it and neither want to use the cricket anymore. It has zero recoil and the bolt charging handle is no where near the trigger. Its on the top left side of the barrel way forward of the action. And the gun is extremely light, feels like a toy to me actually. If you want to try it I can meet you at a range sometime. I usually shoot RTSP or flatbrook.

Girls are great! They have a more focused attention span than boys.  I started her shooting at about the same age and allowed her to use a scope because she wore glasses. And of course shooting off of bags because of that HEAVY rifle.

The boys start single shot and irons off of bags again.

I'm not about to tell you your business but I'd get her a 10/22 and use the pass around stock until she grows.

Her original 10/22 now sports a Fajen stock, 20" SS barrel, 2lb trigger and big optics.

She's a GLOCK armorer but I still hear "Dad can you do this or that?"  :nyam:

Now starting the boys are another story...OMG

lol it will be a WHILE before my 6 year old son gets a crack at it.

I may grab that stock off you ( thanks so much ) , and return it when she outgrows it. I am going to shop 10/22s now. Deerslayer thanks for the offer , would take you up on that too. I sometimes pop in to RTSP to shop , maybe one day in the upcoming weeks? Not sure what your schedule is like , let me know :)

lol it will be a WHILE before my 6 year old son gets a crack at it.

I may grab that stock off you ( thanks so much ) , and return it when she outgrows it. I am going to shop 10/22s now. Deerslayer thanks for the offer , would take you up on that too. I sometimes pop in to RTSP to shop , maybe one day in the upcoming weeks? Not sure what your schedule is like , let me know :)

I'm very close with my boss (work for myself) I can go shoot whenever I want, let me know when is ok for you and I will leave that time open in my schedule. I often pop in there during the week in the middle of the day myself. No one has to twist my arm to hit the range for a session ever.

I bought an antique Savage Arms 14-1/2" little scout.  It's probably 80 years old and it's a rolling block, single shot rifle.  Very small and no external moving parts except the rolling block.  It was sold as a boys gun when new and will probably fit a small 8 year old well.  It weighs almost nothing which is a big plus over a heavy semi auto.   I found mine at a gun show and paid under $100, I've seen them on gun broker several times since then.

I know it's odd to recommend an 80 year old gun but they're available cheap and it seems like the perfect solution to your problem.

I understand what you mean now. Her thumb which normally would wrap over the top of the stock is so small (along with her hand) that it ends up under the cocking piece on the bolt.

The 10/22 will be heavy for her I suspect.

Personally I would probably go all redneck and start sanding the stock down to give her thumb room.

I'm not discounting what Old School offered/suggested. But please note he mentioned that he started his daughter shooting that rifle off a bag in order to hold the weight of it.

In any case, the Crickett is not an expensive rifle so if you customize the stock it's unlikely you did more than $10 or 20 damage to the overall value, and in my opinion, this is entirely about ergonomics and not "looks".

Rossi makes a combination .410 or .20g youth model that also comes with a .22lr single shot barrel. Break action with ejector, my nephew has one he is a small kid fit him well at 9 years old.

I saw that too , that is definitely something I would pick up one day. It is called a "take 3" I believe. I have an old little Rossi pump action .22 lr. It is super light , but too long for her.

Watching the video, I think she is a bit too young for the rifle.  At 6:50 or so, her hands are all over the rifle, and at 6:54 she looks to be pulling her hand up the rifle using her index finger on the trigger guard.  Not too concerning, because Dad has full control of the rifle, and daughter is heeding & obeying instruction.  Another year and she'll be ready.