Hi all, yesterday it woke up realizing my car was broken into, there was nothing in there to steal so they just messed it up, now my question is what would be my legal right if I by chance I stumbled upon these scum bags in my driveway?

How would you prove it was "them," anyway? Did you have surveillance on the driveway?

In PA a driveway is a paved area (usually) connected to your house. So just like in your house, anybody with no right to be there provides a default presumption that you are in fear for your life and justified to use deadly force.

If it's your mother in law or they are wearing a PP&L Electric hardhat then it is a rebutable presumption but the burden of proof is still on the prosecutor that you were not in fear for your life ;)

Lecky, I know you are pissed off and feel violated, but please delete this topic. Nothing good can be accomplished here.

This times infinity plus one to what some one says forever.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Best thing to do is learn to live with the fact you have no recourse other than to file a police report. My advice would be to get a camera set up to record that part of the house with a motion light. If it happens again you have everything on film to hand over to the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your only reasonable answer in New Jermany is to identify them and find out where they live.  Then you can make your way there with a loaded handgun in your waistband.  Once there you break in, hopefully you find them at home.  You then shoot them execution style.  Take a moment and drink some beer from their fridge before you go home.  Most likely you will never be caught.  IF caught you agree to tell the authorities about the low level drug dealer you saw on the street corner and you will get six months of probation and asked to not do anything like that again.

obviously I am joking, or am I ?  ;)

So what  is the deterrence to this type of crime.!!!!    Oh thats right there is none.  You are at the mercy of criminals, they have more rights than you. Its time for people to wake the fk up and vote these useless politicians out. the justice system is a joke. jmho. :)  

There has been a spate of car brake ins in the Sayreville area. Lock your doors, according to the police, the only cars accessed were those left unlocked.

This^^

This is happening all over. I can personally confirm this is a huge problem all across Middlesex County.

Crooks are looking for open/unlocked car doors then ransacking the vehicle. Maybe 1 in 30 reported thefts also involve a criminal mischief/damage to vehicle and those are only when something big is left in plain sight in the vehicle - Laptops, iPads, Camera Equipment, etc....

Lock your car doors. Bring valuables inside. Use motion sensing lights on your driveway/garage/porch. These criminals are lazy and are looking for targets of opportunity. Don't be one.

This^^

This is happening all over. I can personally confirm this is a huge problem all across Middlesex County.

Crooks are looking for open/unlocked car doors then ransacking the vehicle. Maybe 1 in 30 reported thefts also involve a criminal mischief/damage to vehicle and those are only when something big is left in plain sight in the vehicle - Laptops, iPads, Camera Equipment, etc....

Lock your car doors. Bring valuables inside. Use motion sensing lights on your driveway/garage/porch. These criminals are lazy and are looking for targets of opportunity. Don't be one.

And clean the inside of your windshield regularly. Just because you hide the GPS in your glove box doesn't mean they won't look for it if they see the " vacuum spot" on your window.

Why should I delete this, I am only asking what right I have, and clearly I have none! So now I know. It's clear that I was in the wrong for leaving the door open.

your not wrong for leaving your doors unlocked. !!!!   THE SCUMBAG CRIMINALS THE GUILTY ONE, but you have to lay down like a good little sheep. :) 

your not wrong for leaving your doors unlocked. !!!! THE SCUMBAG CRIMINALS THE GUILTY ONE, but you have to lay down like a good little sheep. :)

What does this have to do with anything?

No one is saying to be a sheep. No one is saying lay down for anyone. No one is saying that it is anyone's fault but the criminals for items being stolen or property damaged or destroyed.

There are unscrupulous people out there. Bad people. Vicious people. Evil people. You need to harden your lives and property against them. Don't be an easy target.

It is called personal security and it should be practiced whenever possible. Locking your car is an easy one - it doesn't even cost anything as your car comes with locks.

No, you can't use force/violence to stop a crime against property. I am willing to bet that Lecky knew this when he posted his original question. He is understandably angry and frustrated. That doesn't mean he can lay in wait and beat on someone breaking in this car.

i live in the middle of nowhere PA.. and there is pretty low crime rate here.. I still lock all my doors all the time... while it is still ultimately the criminals fault.. why make it easier by leaving free access.. lots of crimes are crimes of opportunity.. lowering the level of opportunity reduces your chance of being a victim... 

What does this have to do with anything?

There are unscrupulous people out there. Bad people. Vicious people. Evil people. You need to harden your lives and property against them. Don't be an easy target.

My point is.  "  your only defense is to lock your fk doors " 

I would not go outside under any circumstances, even if using deadly force were absolutely devoid of legal consequences, which it isn't anywhere in the U.S.A. They're not close enough or doing anything to threaten you. Avoid trouble. 

Calling the cops seems like a no-brainer, no?  My second choice would be to get the key fob and press the alarm button, then call the cops. 

I would not go outside under any circumstances, even if using deadly force were absolutely devoid of legal consequences, which it isn't anywhere in the U.S.A. They're not close enough or doing anything to threaten you. Avoid trouble. 

Calling the cops seems like a no-brainer, no?  My second choice would be to get the key fob and press the alarm button, then call the cops. 

Deadly force is not the only force authorized under law.

And in most of the United States, police response time is measured in hours or days. Yes, days.

Deadly force is not the only force authorized under law.

And in most of the United States, police response time is measured in hours or days. Yes, days.

An out of shape 60 year old guy has no business fighting two twenty-year-olds unless the alternative is death or serious injury, if his life or that of a loved one were on the line. I would rather have to reupholster my seats than recover from having my head cracked open. A car sitting in a driveway 40 feet away is just not worth it. Call the cops, press the alarm button. Shit happens, and not every story has a happy ending.