Sign in to follow this  
siderman

S&W 14-2 questions

got to burn a permit about to die (wifes) and came across a 14-2 6" in pretty nice shape not much use. Being this was a old school target gun is the trigger any dif than the standard model 10/15 which I think its related to? Also any opinions on a reasonable price range, i think its in very good cond.

What do you mean by trigger being different? 

Without looking at it, S&W has " Target Hammers " which will have a .500 wide trigger and hammer spur, I think some also have a .400 trigger.. Target triggers sometimes have serrated triggers.

I think most other standard triggers are about .312 and smooth faced.

... just wait till Bob chimes in, he has all the knowledge on this stuff

The model 10 and model 14 are both K-frames and guns of the same era will have identical internals (unless this 14 is a SAO). The 14 is what the centerfire portion of bullseye (2700) was contested with before semi-autos took over the sport. Before model numbers were assigned it was the K-38, Target Masterpiece. Alec is correct about the triggers and hammers. This being a target gun, it may have come from the factory with the three "T's" - that is: Target trigger, target hammer and target stocks. They are fine guns and most definitely worth burning a permit for - but maybe that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I should have clarrified, is the sa trigger pull noticeably lighter.I have a 15-3 but only shot about 12 quick rds and dont have a feel for it yet.

All triggers will be different.

It'll come down to if the gun has had any trigger work done. How many rounds of been through it and trigger cycles.

Who knows, same gun might have a different feel if the guy at the factory assembled it on a Monday or a friday.

In the right hands, a K-.38 Masterpiece is a 100 yard gun.  Capable of hitting a 1-gal paint can all day long at 100 yards.  I had a friend who owned a fine example and used it to shoot NRA Bullseye Matches at Camp Perry!  The Target Masterpiece assembly and finishing was always assigned to the best Smiths.  In my 44 years of shooting, I've never heard of a factory defect.........

I've seen Glenn's.....and it's smooth and buttery, the way Craftsmen USED to make revolvers......

Dave