deerpark

Costco Big Horn gun safe is back, $600 delivered.

Question (that's been asked before, probably by me): how do you get it from your driveway to your basement? We have 12 steps. They hold me (240 lb) but here we're talking 435 lbs + two strappin' lads = up to 850 lbs. House was built in 1928 so I have no idea if it's up to today's building standards. Also, who do you get to bring it down the steps? I sure as hell ain't gonna do it.

I took off the door used a good hand truck & with just a little help from my wife did it myself. I don't advise doing it that way but after being annoyed ie. my "friends" didn't show up and it was sitting in the driveway I went for it. Went 5 steps up on an over a deck that I'm redoing now because it was shot then down 10 or more old steps into the basement got it in place. I'm 170 and not young so with 2 people you'll be fine. The only reason the wife got involved was because she saw me stewing out front and knew something stupid was about to happen. Nothing says I have guns like a new safe just sitting in your driveway.

I got this safe when it was on sale a while back. I used a hand truck to move it from the street, it wan not a big deal. I did strap it to the truck so it couldn't get away. The big deal was the steps (down in my case). With the hand truck it went right down no problem...one stair at a time. I did have the help of 2 sons for the stairs, but rolled it from the street by my self. To remove the metal skids they put on, I again needed the assistance of my sons to hold it at an angle as I used a ratchet to remove the bolts.

I do agree, I wish it was equipped for a drier to plug in...I thought I read somewhere it was, but it is not.

I do agree, I wish it was equipped for a drier to plug in...I thought I read somewhere it was, but it is not.

I called Rhino today, they said that there is a 3/8 inch hole drilled thru the metal on the rear, bottom, left corner.

Apparently the hole doesnt go thru the fireproofing or the interior carpeting.        

My Cannon safe was the same way. they drilled a hole in the steel body, but not through the interior. I bought one of those 16ga multi-plug extension cords, cut the plug end off, fished it through the hole, then wired up a new plug on it. also put a grommet around the hole. There was even enough room for some cat5e to go through as well, so I have power and Ethernet into my safe.

no I didn't take any pictures, unfortunately.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-8-ft-16-3-SPT-2-Extension-Cord-White-HD-838-802/100650539

^^ extension cord

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pass-Seymour-15-Amp-125-Volt-Yellow-Grip-Plug-PS5965YCC15/202664513

^^ new plug

My Cannon safe was the same way. they drilled a hole in the steel body, but not through the interior. I bought one of those 16ga multi-plug extension cords, cut the plug end off, fished it through the hole, then wired up a new plug on it. also put a grommet around the hole. There was even enough room for some cat5e to go through as well, so I have power and Ethernet into my safe.

no I didn't take any pictures, unfortunately.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-8-ft-16-3-SPT-2-Extension-Cord-White-HD-838-802/100650539

^^ extension cord

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pass-Seymour-15-Amp-125-Volt-Yellow-Grip-Plug-PS5965YCC15/202664513

^^ new plug

For a camera system dvr?

The site was down last night/this morning. 

Overall I like the safe, would have been nice if it had an outlet for a dehumidifier.

Interior Features:

•13.13 cubic feet of interior space

•Interior dimensions: 57.5" H x 26.75" W x 14.75" D

•Holds up to 24 long guns

•Adjustable shelving and interior walls upholstered in automotive-grade fabric

•Predrilled for anchoring to the floor

•Predrilled through the steel for a dehumidifier (dehumidifier not included)

•External hinge, 180° opening door provides greater access than internal hinged designs limited to only 90° of opening

If you do get this thing, make sure you remove the box, open it up and check it from top to bottom, inside and out.

Make a note of ANY imperfections on the delivery order before you sign it.

The delivery driver was pushy as hell, saying that youre not supposed to/allowed to inspect anything...

If you do get this thing, make sure you remove the box, open it up and check it from top to bottom, inside and out.

Make a note of ANY imperfections on the delivery order before you sign it.

The delivery driver was pushy as hell, saying that youre not supposed to/allowed to inspect anything...

It specifically tells you in the email to inspect it before signing, and to note any problems. That driver was a dick

I put it on a dolly and rolled it from the garage to the side of my house.

We rocked it one step up through the door and onto the landing.

I put a long rug on my basement stairs

We tilted it back and put straps under the bottom

Once we tilted it we rocked it down the first stair and after

that held on for dear life as it slid toward the bottom into the basement

Once there we rocked it into place

Two strong guys can do this

If I sell the house the new owner gets the safe  :-))

Those that have had it delivered, box truck, tractor trailer?

Lift gate I presume using a pallet jack?

Did you ask if the driver would back into the driveway?

Curb to my garage is about 60-70 feet. But, it is a rather step grade.

Don't have much help available to move heavy stuff in my neighborhood, but if I could get the "curbside delivery" at the top of the driveway it would make life easier.

1.  Car (scissor) jack for lifting and lowering the gun safe door off the hinges

2.  Dollys made for stairs are worthless (in my estimation)

3.  I found bringing a safe upstairs was actually easier than downstairs; especially, if there was a guy or two on the bottom with his back against the bottom of the safe pushing it up with his legs (sliding it up on moving pads).

I have to be honest, I'm completely excited with the fact that I was given 24hr notice of delivery with a window of 8am-5pm...wtf is that?

It is a very large window. Glaziers charge extra for those :p

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2