JohnGalt

Thoughts on Springfield XD

Pending my permits coming in I was thinking of picking up, first and foremost a Springfield .45 ACP 4 inch full XD® Full Size Model with Thumb Safety.

Does anyone here have this or one similar and how to you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an XD 9mm Service and love it. While YMMV, there's something about the grip that feels good in my hand and allows me to keep a high grip (XD45 grip is a bit bigger than the XD9/40). Trigger is a bit on the long side, but relatively light and smooth after break-in. Something to keep in mind when dry firing a brand new gun, that the trigger will be abnormally heavy. I did have extraction issues, but customer service is excellent. Had I known, I wouldn't have waited 1000 rounds before sending it in! Two minor gripes I have are 1) extractor is a pain to remove when detail stripping 2) would prefer more aggressive texturing on the handgrip. I haven't actually tried myself, but I understand the OEM sights are supposed to be legendary for being a royal pain to remove.

FYI, I always see an after market Springer Precision trigger for an XD45 w/safety listed for sale at half price, but I forgot where. I don't see it now, but it's either eBay or gunbroker.

I have a 3.8 XDM .45, still my favorite pistol. I've shot a couple of XD's as we'll. I'm a big fan of the platform. Only thing I've done to mine was a dab of red on the front dot as I have a focus issue with my eyes and the white dot

This has helped me immensely. The only concern I have now is I heard from a friend that the slides on the XD can be difficult to rack. Is this true? Is it an issue of breaking a new one in (which isn't an issue ;) )

I have the XD 4" in 45acp and its a great gun. Shoots well and accurate. Easy to take down and I haven't had any problems with being able to rack the slide.  I use frog lube on all my firearms which seem to help greatly in all gun functions. Good luck.

In the case of my XD9, I'm not especially strong, and I don't find the slide overly hard to rack. I see it's toward the heavier side among the guns I own (I never noticed before until your post prompted me to check), but not a big deal. IMHO, unless you have bad arthritis or some other physical issue, I can't see it being a meaningful factor.

There was one oddity, and maybe it's just me and my particular instance. But while waiting for my FID, I put well over 1,000 rounds on the XD9 range gun at Woodland Park. I would hate the trigger after it had been freshly cleaned and oiled, I guess I'd describe as being spongy. I'm not sure if I have the part names right, but I believe it has to do with the degree of lubrication between a certain spring and where it connects to the trigger bar. I've used frog lube from day one on my own gun and never encountered that issue.

Any reason why you are considering the XD over a Glock, M&P, PPQ, or the new HK VP9 (not sure if you are dead set on a .45, as the last 2 I listed don't have that option)? These are pretty much the most highly regarded polymer striker fired pistols today. The XD, while fine as a range gun, is not in the same league as a serious defensive use pistol.

The reasons are plenty, but the standout one is that they are considered a lower quality pistol than the others. What also bothers a lot of people is the stupid grip safety. Offers none of the ergonomics you find on a 1911, and is a hassle in the end. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why one would design a pistol that prohibits racking the slide without first pressing the grip safety down.

I've never thought about that last part (racking the slide with the grip safety) I'm not 100% dead set on the XD. However I would prefer a .45 or .40. I don't want a 9mm (not yet anyway) as I've shot that for years in the army and consider it a weak and ineffectual round regardless of its world wide availability. I'm not usually a fan of Glock but that doesn't mean I wouldn't purchase one. To be honest I've never shot the M&P. I do intend on "test driving" a lot of handguns. To include the XD before I make a final decision.

Was just looking at info online about the M&P and I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with the lack of magazine capacity on anything but 9mm, I'll keep poking my head around to see what's out there however.

There are reasons for an against any pistol you put up here.

I disagree that the XD would be a "poor defensive pistol" as I know of at least several PD's that use it.  The M&P 45 has a narrower grip necessitating a lower mag capacity.  The xd stock trigger is nothing to write home about but neither too is the M&P stock trigger.  I can't speak for the Grock or the VD9 as I have not shot or owned either.  As far as the Walther series, I'm personally not a fan of a paddle mag release but that's strictly my ergonomics.

In 45 I still prefer a certain all metal, single stack, classic design dating back over a hundred years.

At the end of the day, I prefer to make decisions about guns based on how I shoot them (first) and how they fit my hand (second) and not about what this or that internet keyboard commando's opinion may or may not be (myself included). 

I have a xd 45 service and a glock 19 . Both are excellent guns and would trust my life with either. .45 is twice as expensive if not more than 9mm so consider that in your choice and what you plan n doing with the gun.

And no need for thumb Saftey as the grip Saftey is enough

Haven't fired an XD but I've shot many different 45s and, after my recent purchase, I would say don't rule out the Stoeger 8045. If you're anywhere near Warren county, you're welcome to try it out. I'm about halfway between RTSP & HG in Easton.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

I have the XD-45 Tactical (5" barrel) and I really like it. The stock trigger had a mile of take up but a PRP trigger kit fixed that. It made the over-travel and reset much better too.

I have over 3000 rounds through mine since last November with no malfunctions at all.

The stock recoil spring is 18lbs if I remember right and is easier to rack than my Glock 35.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

It's not about reading. I've shot a 9mm for almost 9 years now, and have carried one in combat situations. And when I said "I consider..." I guess I should have said IMHO because that's all it is. My own opinion. But thanks for your "valuable" input.

I've owned and sold both an XD9 Tactical and XD45 Tactical.

I know there are fans of the XD on the forum, but I'm not one of them.

The XD9T's slide would raise in consistently in the rear of the slide during the trigger pull.  This was witnessable and didn't allow for great accuracy.  Liked the grip shape though.

The XD45T was a decent pistol and accurate.  I didn't gell with it.  The gent I sold it to (also a member of the forum), had at least 5 of them and he was a big fan.

Wasn't a fan of the bulk from the slide being relatively high, and thought triggers on both pistols sucked.  Very long take up, heavy pull w/ grit and inconsistent reset.

Maybe these were early guns (IIRC these were 2009 - 2010) and they've gotten better....don't know.  For my money, there are other offerings out there that allow me to shoot better.  I felt like I was fighting the pistols to get good accuracy.

I'm sure others have had better experience with the XD series.

I have an XD 45 Tactical. It is my favorite handgun; I have put thousands of rounds through it, used it in multiple tactical classes (including a Tactical Response class where I put nearly a thousand rounds through it in 2 days-no cleaning). It's a great gun.

I have recently experienced a number of failure to fire's with steel cased ammo (harder primers I'm told) but I haven't had that problem before. I completely stripped the postol and found a lot of gunk (technicial term) in the firing pin channel. I did a full clean and replaced the firing pin and firing pin spring - now it fires with everything again. And it was a fairly easy fix.