n4p226r

Pretty weird problem with a glock

So I shoot glocks really well (for me) and currently ordered a g19. So I've been renting them the last few times i went to the range and also have a bunch in the past. This is the first time I had an issue

Almost EVERY round, when I shot. The magazine would come out. Sometimes another round would feed first and sometimes it wouldn't. Thinking my support hand was on the mag release, I shot one handed. Same thing. One time I had a malfunction I wouldn't even know what to call. Pull trigger, next round chambers. Magazine falls out. Spent casing lands like an upside down stovepipe. I don't even know how the round chambered. The extractor wasn't even on it

I had to shoot with my pinky under the grip which is surprisingly comfortable. So what could the issue be?

Weird. This looked like an oem release. I guess I'm just nervous because I am about to buy one and this is the first I've had issues with that I've tried. But I also got hit in the head with the erratic ejection so maybe this one was in need of some service and new parts. Weird part was if I put the mag in and pulled on it. It wouldn't come out.

I've seen that happen and it's usually the person touching the mag release, but the Mag Release pin is probably to loose, and is easily pushed in... i've seen it happen to rentals .. i have a G19 Gen3 and never had that happen to me... 

If you put a loaded mag in and cycle the rounds manually will it happen? Gotta remember, rental guns take a beating. Lots of worn parts.

No. And if my pinky finger was under the mag when shooting instead of touching the gap between mag and frame it wouldn't happen either. And the r/o couldn't make it happen when he shot it

I get rental guns take a beating. But it's also a good way to find faults or areas to check since our personal guns may not get beat as bad. So far it seems like it's not uncommon. And it seems like it's fixable. So I'm less worried. Which makes me happy because I love the guns otherwise

Weird. I have several Gen 4 Glocks including a 19 and haven't had any issues. I'm also left Handed and kept the mag release on the left side.

Maybe you could have someone watch you shoot and see if you are unknowingly doing something to the gun that is causing this issue to occur or perhaps it's just a really weak mag release spring.

Rental gun which may never get cleaned and/or has a worn/broken mag release or spring.  I wouldn't worry about it.  This is not a normal or common problem for Glocks.

/\ this 

and the rental mags themselves probably never get cleaned 

This is one of these posts that burn my A$$.

The shooter and the pistol need to be inspected.

If the shooter is correctly inserting the proper undamaged mag.

There is a problem with the pistol.

If in fact this was a rental gun, it should have been immediately returned to the range.

All this speculation is pointless.

This is a simple machine.

No Ghost Busters required!

Buy yourself a new G19 and I can assure many years of trouble free use. 

So I shoot glocks really well (for me) and currently ordered a g19. So I've been renting them the last few times i went to the range and also have a bunch in the past. This is the first time I had an issue

Almost EVERY round, when I shot. The magazine would come out. Sometimes another round would feed first and sometimes it wouldn't. Thinking my support hand was on the mag release, I shot one handed. Same thing. One time I had a malfunction I wouldn't even know what to call. Pull trigger, next round chambers. Magazine falls out. Spent casing lands like an upside down stovepipe. I don't even know how the round chambered. The extractor wasn't even on it

I had to shoot with my pinky under the grip which is surprisingly comfortable. So what could the issue be?

So you're tellin' us that AFTER you KNEW you had a PROBLEM, you KEPT ON FIRING THE GUN ANYWAY?????????  How about using a little common sense and simply returning the gun to the rental counter?????

So you're tellin' us that AFTER you KNEW you had a PROBLEM, you KEPT ON FIRING THE GUN ANYWAY?????????  How about using a little common sense and simply returning the gun to the rental counter?????

im not quite sure what you are implying here.  modifying my grip solved the problem, but would not be an ideal way to shoot.  i went over the issue with the range officer so he is aware of the issue with their rental gun.  the gun was pretty clean and i believe they are cleaned often there via an ultrasonic cleaner.  i was asking here simply for a better understanding of this issue.  i don't follow known glock issues.  maybe this was a known issue with worn magazines and time for a new magazine to be used.  maybe it needed a new spring.  i wasn't looking to bash glocks, just wondering if others have experienced the same issue and knew of what the cause could be.  it's not my gun, so i'll never know for sure what the issue was.  thats why i asked here.  

This is one of these posts that burn my A$$.

The shooter and the pistol need to be inspected.

If the shooter is correctly inserting the proper undamaged mag.

There is a problem with the pistol.

If in fact this was a rental gun, it should have been immediately returned to the range.

All this speculation is pointless.

This is a simple machine.

No Ghost Busters required!

Buy yourself a new G19 and I can assure many years of trouble free use. 

the mag was correctly inserted.  and it wasn't even loaded to max 15rd capacity.  

as for the mag being undamaged, who knows.

in hindsight i should have swapped it out for a different gun, but i turned around and the line was long and i didn't have a ton of time.  

the speculation is fine, as it gives me things to look for if i ever experience the problem again.  i was just looking to confirm it wasn't an issue with hands that are large enough to touch the magazine plate.  like my sig, my hand can hold the slide stop and stop it from functioning.  i wouldn't return the gun because of that but i need to learn and train that way.  

i had the exact same problem, (rental g19 gen 4) it was frustrating at first but then i saw that my right middle finger was just barely hitting the mag release causing the mag to drop just about two inches after each shot. I just modified my grip and kept shooting, didn't have anymore problems after that.

I thought the problem was my grip/fat hands but a worn down rental makes more sense 

I was having this problem with a factory extended mag release. Change it and I promise it will fix your problem. It doesn't have much real estate to hold the magazine and it easily gets beaten up. Heres mine that was causing the exact same problem as you, and after about 1500rds post-4403-140710250027_thumb.jpg

If you notice, you'll see the edge has become rounded. Thats all it takes to drop the magazine with the force of the recoil. I switched to a Vickers and couldn't be happier with how much more comfortable it feels.

My glock 19 gen 4 does fire casings occasionally that hit my face/head, Def happens enough where it's a noticeable thing. I've only shot it 2 times an prob under 200 rounds. But i've read enough people talking about it that i was almost expecting it to happen.. other then that no major malfunctions. 

quick serch on google has tons of links come up for this...

does anyone here know what parts should be the latest? i think i remember someone listing an ejector number that was "good" or the latest that fix this issue.

If you have the 30274 ejector and the 0-4-3, and continue to get brass to the face, then get the Apex extractor. Even though you have a Gen 4, I still recommend the Gen 3 Apex extractor, as it is a more updated design, and the limiting tab on it really works well. Both my Gen 3 G19 and Gen 4 G17 have the same Apex extractor, and they both eject brass consistently to 3 - 4:00. Hell, they both even pass the 1911 test now.

Shooting the stock extractor longer isn't going to solve the occasional brass to the face. If anything, it will get worse.

For what it's worth, Glock has never been great when it comes to consistent ejection. Even older Gen 3 pistols will launch the occasional brass to your forehead. Most will likely fail the 1911 extractor test too.

Chamber a round, remove mag, and then fire. Repeat a bunch of times. The shell casings should still eject out of the ejection port and not fall down the mag well.

This is one indicator of proper extractor tension on a 1911. Many Glocks with the OEM extractor will fail this test.

I was having this problem with a factory extended mag release. Change it and I promise it will fix your problem. It doesn't have much real estate to hold the magazine and it easily gets beaten up. Heres mine that was causing the exact same problem as you, and after about 1500rds attachicon.gif20140713_145655.jpg

If you notice, you'll see the edge has become rounded. Thats all it takes to drop the magazine with the force of the recoil. I switched to a Vickers and couldn't be happier with how much more comfortable it feels.

^This.

Take a look inside the magwell at the mag release. Take a look at the cutout on the mag. There aint a lot of contact between the two.

The mag release surface is probably chipped or rounded. Or, the mag cutout is rounded. Then you have a spring and a shooter.