Donobieus

Using magnets to secure pistols in safe???

I just ordered an in the wall safe.  There isnt a lot of room in it so i was considering using rare earth magnets to hold a couple of pistols to the inside of the door....I saw some on Amazon for just this purpose but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them.  Can i end up magnetizing the gun? or the magazines if I decide to hang them too?  Is there a downside/ danger to that?

I use a magnetic bar meant for hanging tools holding a bunch of mags I use most. I personaly dont want to chance scratching or otherwise blemishing my handguns getting them slapped around on a magnet.

Sew up some little pouches for the guns. Harbor freight has a two pack of 65 lb magnets with hooks tada protected and organized.

Wrote something about this on my blog.

http://njgunblog.com/2014/04/30/softcore-diy-magnetic-gun-storage/

Seems like a complicated setup. How do you connect the guns to the magnets? Don't tell me "magnetism." Please. Don't tell me you'd trust swinging the door open and not having your favorite revolver fall onto your foot. Or you wouldn't cringe watching it dangle above terra firma, held in place only through magic. 

What the hell you bananas babbling about? The ones on Amazon are earth magnets encased in a scratch free plastic housing with screw holes that can be attached to whatever with, yes, you guessed it. Screws! They won't magnetize your gun for crying out loud nor will they fall on your effing feet! Why so much confusion here? It's not rocket science. In fact, it's grade school lab science. Omg!

:facepalm:

You called me a WHAT? I studied magnetism in college. Believe me, the science is settled. It's magic. Imagine if the frame gets one charge and the cylinder another? IT COULD BE THE END OF THE WORLD. 

If the safe isn't big enough to lay the guns down, comfortably, then it's not big enough. Get a new safe. Store your spare money in the wall safe (but use a dessicant -- it gets moldy). Magnetism. Sheesh.

What the hell you bananas babbling about? The ones on Amazon are earth magnets encased in a scratch free plastic housing with screw holes that can be attached to whatever with, yes, you guessed it. Screws! They won't magnetize your gun for crying out loud nor will they fall on your effing feet! Why so much confusion here? It's not rocket science. In fact, it's grade school lab science. Omg!

:facepalm:

I failed grade school, sorry.

I use them. I had some speakers that went bad. They are very strong. I took an old work shirt and some spray glue and presto, pistol holders. Have a look.

91FB6A30-D02B-4351-9026-D6BF82C28977_zps

21E05D5A-0D1C-46A7-A330-753BA155EE55_zps

537E82D2-CFCE-4D0E-80A4-CD551DF34426_zps

I like them and they are movable like to the side of the fridge or the night table like this

6E0240EA-0D4C-4990-ACA3-9E72EF8F9D4F_zps

Just another magnet with the same cut up shirt

0504B873-8D81-43A9-80D8-ABF4FF8CB4F8_zps

All I did was attach a piece of metal and it's magnet-to-go......lol

279A14A2-19F2-4F61-9345-BB7DB36AF242_zps

have you LOOKED at his avatar?

......and we don't need stronger mental health and background checks why? Lol.... I think we finally have a Poster Child...

And just to clear things up, my pistols fire and cycle fine with no problems.

Ummmm, errr, ehhhh. Psssst! (Looking left and right through slits in my eye lids).... Hey bud, co'mere.... Ya know dem knives are illegal in NJ right....? But I ain't seen nuttin I tell ya... Nuttin!!!

PS: mine too... :)

My problem with this thread is I don't understand why someone would do this. The volume you have for storage doesn't change by attaching things to doors or walls.

I have a small safe as well, although maybe not as small as yours. If I were to attach a gun to the door through a rare earth magnet the door would not close because the box is already quite full. Why not simply stack your items in the space designed for storage? Almost any fabric, and handling care, will prevent scratches and dings.

It's your business of course. You can use Crazy Glue if you like. I just don't see the point. 

My problem with this thread is I don't understand why someone would do this. The volume you have for storage doesn't change by attaching things to doors or walls.

I have a small safe as well, although maybe not as small as yours. If I were to attach a gun to the door through a rare earth magnet the door would not close because the box is already quite full. Why not simply stack your items in the space designed for storage? Almost any fabric, and handling care, will prevent scratches and dings.

It's your business of course. You can use Crazy Glue if you like. I just don't see the point.

There are people like me that also keep other things like jewelry box, important papers, money magazines ( I got a bunch ) eletronics like iPads and iPods, laptops for safe keeping. All takes up space. AND IT LOOKS FREAKING COOL

C5CF29E3-541F-49A1-9D5B-62CB54D0ACEF_zps