maintenanceguy

DC Handgun Carry Ban Overturned!

I don't think that quote in and of itself means you don't need a license to possess a firearm or ammunition in DC, which is a separate issue from carrying a handgun in public.

The DC police chief disagrees. From Emily Miller:

"Per DC Police Chief Lanier, the only gun arrests allowed now are DC residents with unregistered guns and non-residents who are prohibited under federal laws from possessing firearms. Everyone else is in the clear."

Emily is a reliable source, and this is from the MPDC chief Lanier. 

https://www.facebook.com/EmilyMillerDC/posts/772351989490379?fref=nf

OK, Understanding this will take 3 or more years to work itself through to SCOTUS, I'm considering just applying for my carry permit under the reasoning outlined in the courts explanation..that Heller protects the right to self defense in private and public.. expecting to be denied, but to be available as a litigant in the followup case.. anyone else so motivated?

The DC police chief disagrees. From Emily Miller:

"Per DC Police Chief Lanier, the only gun arrests allowed now are DC residents with unregistered guns and non-residents who are prohibited under federal laws from possessing firearms. Everyone else is in the clear."

Emily is a reliable source, and this is from the MPDC chief Lanier. 

https://www.facebook.com/EmilyMillerDC/posts/772351989490379?fref=nf

The DC police chief does not disagree. None of that came from the ruling, and certainly not from your quote.

If Emily on Facebook is reliable concerning the legal peril of years in prison then the DC Police Chief has chosen a path of least possible criticism as a temporary measure.

The DC police chief does not disagree. None of that came from the ruling, and certainly not from your quote.

If Emily on Facebook is reliable concerning the legal peril of years in prison then the DC Police Chief has chosen a path of least possible criticism as a temporary measure.

It really doesn't matter. Starting on Saturday, anyone with a legal gun in DC can carry. Full. Stop.

You do have to obey other laws such as the 10 round limit. But Lanier also stated that there is no registration requirement for non-residents.

Remember, LE could have already carried in DC under LEOSA. Do you think all of them registered their guns with DC? I don't think so! 

I am not seeing non-resident permits specified, unless I can't find it. I understand all states were granted reciprocity but no info about having to be a resident of said state. 

There is nothing about non resident permits. It is constitutional carry for residents and non-residents alike. if you aren't a prohibited person, you can carry. Full. Stop.

DC residents can only carry legally registered guns. But everyone else can carry their legal guns from out of state. 

This is what would have happened in Illinois if the legislature did not make the deadline to pass the FCCA. 

OK, Understanding this will take 3 or more years to work itself through to SCOTUS, I'm considering just applying for my carry permit under the reasoning outlined in the courts explanation..that Heller protects the right to self defense in private and public.. expecting to be denied, but to be available as a litigant in the followup case.. anyone else so motivated?

I think we should ALL do that. We should also have a qualification party at a local range. 

i am with you. Who else is with me? 

I'm considering applying for a NJ concealed permit now.  For the "justifiable reason" I'd write:

My justifiable need is lawful self defense.  Please note that denying this application and citing "lawful self defense" as not a "justifiable need" is in direct opposition to the the recent ruling by the United States District Court of the District of Columbia in Palmer v. DC.  In addition, should this application be denied I will provide a copy of my application and denial as evidence in support of the plaintiff of any future challenge to New Jersey's interpretation of the right to carry firearms.

I'll download the paperwork today... Wouldn't be good to get this going on a larger scale? maybe re-introduce it to NJ2AS. I think there would be a lot more willing to apply given this most recent ruling and if they new we had the NJ2A attorney's backing it as well. Just a thought

Interesting Scenarios (2&3) mentioned in that document.  Does it mean if a person from NJ (who doesnt have a NJ carry permit) carries in DC, he/she will be arrested because NJ requires a carry permit ?

No.

The scenarios are just that, scenarios. The real "meat" of this is that they're going to stop enforcing the carry ban. They will keep enforcing the registration requirement for residents and they are enforcing the 10 round limit and other stuff such as AWB. 

But if you're going to DC, you're good. Just avoid Maryland which is still off limits. 

Pretty f-ing unreal. Not only did they get the ruling, but officials are actually obeying it. It's constitutional carry for non-residents, but residents have to register their guns.

I thought that D.C. would be the last place on earth this would happen.

Pretty f-ing unreal. Not only did they get the ruling, but officials are actually obeying it. It's constitutional carry for non-residents, but residents have to register their guns.

I thought that D.C. would be the last place on earth this would happen.

I agree...... I have to admit, the whole thing is surreal ......

I agree...... I have to admit, the whole thing is surreal ......

Last time I experienced this "too good to be true" feeling was when the Giants hired Dan Reeves. A few years later he was fired by the most over-rated GM in history. 

Constitutional Carry in DC... Never in a million years would i have believed it possible.

Take note NJ legislature/courts. If you push it to far you can end up having it backfire on you...

NJ might want to put a "real" may issue ccw process in place before they have a shall issue put in place for them...

On a side note, I find NJ 2A orgs to be very passive.  I probably get an email from CA FFL group about this before getting anything from NJ groups. 

Not sure if they dont have funds, backing or have info that isnt available to public.

What happened to that "mass concealed carry " application effort ?

Also, I highly doubt constitutional open carry with remain for any length of time...

It is almost worth the trip down to DC just to walk down Pensylvania Avenue open carrying my 1911... What a sight would be....

What about long guns?... Can you sling you neutered AR on your back as you walk past the white house??