maintenanceguy

DC Handgun Carry Ban Overturned!

On another forum, it was mentioned that it would make no difference if DC became a state or remained like it is now .

"Unless the new State of DC was somehow moved out of the court district where this ruling was handed down, the ruling would still apply."

But be careful of the Gun Free School Zones

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=9560750&postcount=77

"One thing to be exceptionally careful about is GFSZA. That could be an absolute KILLER. As you can't possibly have a permit to carry issued by DC that qualifies you to carry within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school, you would be violating GFSZA if you do.

And you can rest assured that there are a LOT of schools in DC. And you can visualize that when you're on a random city street you're almost always within 1,000 feet of hundreds of things you don't know of or suspect are there. Like schools.

Now, I have to imagine that probably about 0.01% of DC cops have ever heard of GFSZA, and even fewer would have any better idea than you do that you happen to be standing 937' from Ms. Crabopple's second grade class held in the basement of the local Catholic Church. (And the Chief's instruction sheet did not bring up GFSCA as a useful "gotcha!")

But if they really wanted to HURT people who dared carry in the District, that would sure be a way to do it.

If you're going to carry, try your darnedest to figure out ahead of time how to avoid school grounds."

DC already is a district within a state technically, isn't half the land from Virginia and the other half Maryland?

No, it's it's own entity. Half of the land used to belong to VA and half to MD. DC returned the VA half back to VA.  See "District of Columbia Retrocession Act..."

It always amazed me how such a small piece of land could contain so many A-holes in one place at one time.

I was born there.... :D  I still have a small bit of family there.

Seriously, it's not what it used to be. Then again, I was only 4 years old when I left. :D 

I was born there.... :D I still have a small bit of family there.

Seriously, it's not what it used to be. Then again, I was only 4 years old when I left. :D

I was referring to those that locate their to fill their elected position in public office. The people that are lifelong residents are probably mostly good people. with the exception of the animals that commit crime for a living.

I was referring to those that locate their to fill their elected position in public office. The people that are lifelong residents are probably mostly good people. with the exception of the animals that commit crime for a living.

I know.... :D  As it turns out, my old neighborhood is still very well maintained and well patrolled. A few years ago, I went back to look at the old house, and saw patrol car after patrol car. I was afraid I was going to get stopped/detained for walking through the neighborhood, but nope.  The old house is a lot smaller that I recall it being at 4 yrs old.... :D :D

again the law is for residents only, not non residents, a non resident cant register their gun in DC

they cant enforce laws that dont exist that is why the memo was out, how is that hard to understand

Boom.

"If one is a non-District resident, legal possession of a handgun in the District is based on the laws of their home state or in the state in which a person has a valid carry permit"

That settles that, doesn't it?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/235327736/07-138-14-MPD-Teletype

It is nice of her to let you carry under the laws of the state of your non-resident permit, otherwise most of you could not carry in DC because you are not legal to carry in NJ.

Actually, the residents are a major problem on why DC is such a shithole.

Ever hear of Marion Barry? Re-elected Mayor after his crack arrests.

Can't tell me that they are "mostly good people". They are stupid, worthless mental patients.

No sane person would put up with that crap and re-elect such garbage.

They should just flush DC with all of its inhabitants right into the Potomac.

Can't tell me that they are "mostly good people". They are stupid, worthless mental patients.

Not debating about DC, but rest of the country sees NJ in similar light. We cannot even get couple of thousand people to organize and apply for CCW.

I get more emails from CA FFL group about 2A things than from any organization in NJ. Our definition of "cracking down on towns" is begging-softly. With this recent thing in DC, NJ has won sh**ty list winner prize.

Boom.

"If one is a non-District resident, legal possession of a handgun in the District is based on the laws of their home state or in the state in which a person has a valid carry permit"

That settles that, doesn't it?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/235327736/07-138-14-MPD-Teletype

It is nice of her to let you carry under the laws of the state of your non-resident permit, otherwise most of you could not carry in DC because you are not legal to carry in NJ.

Official now:

http://mpdc.dc.gov/release/possession-firearms-district

But this doesn't comport with the ruling. However, 99% of people who want to legally carry (and don't have issues like felony convictions) should be able to do so. 

Im not arguing that DC doesn't have its seedy neighborhoods. But there have to be some productive members of the community. They cant all be criminals. I will definitely agree that the voters are uninformed without doubt. I still cant believe they re elected the crack head mayor years later after his recorded prostitute/crack smoking scandals, that boggles my mind to this day.

I'm surprised we haven't heard much on this matter from DC-based anti-gun advocates or groups. Have the national print and broadcast press had any comments? NY Times? Washington Post? Anyone get a tingle up their leg over this?

Maybe nobody's getting excited because they're already used to guns. Since 9/11 DC has more uniformed personnel carrying guns than any other place on earth. Everybody wearing a uniform -- and there are tens of thousands -- are carrying. You walk into an art gallery and there's someone who looks like your elderly next door neighbor sitting at a desk with a big bad revolver strapped to her side. 

Job descriptions that wouldn't merit an officially issued flashlight up here carry guns in DC. 

Not debating about DC, but rest of the country sees NJ in similar light. We cannot even get couple of thousand people to organize and apply for CCW.

I get more emails from CA FFL group about 2A things than from any organization in NJ. Our definition of "cracking down on towns" is begging-softly. With this recent thing in DC, NJ has won sh**ty list winner prize.

I'd bet money you would have a thousand people willing to apply if it was backed by a legal team that had a plan to use this ruling as a springboard. If the thought is that this ruling has no bearing on a decision in NJ then how is applying now any different then applying before this ruling and expecting a denial. As for Who would financially back any lawyers willing to take this on, that seems like it would be an issue, time is money. 

IANAL so can anyone comment on this scenario:

"join this NJ justifiable need lawsuit for X amount of dollars and here are your instructions for applying"

I'd bet money you would have a thousand people willing to apply if it was backed by a legal team that had a plan to use this ruling as a springboard. If the thought is that this ruling has no bearing on a decision in NJ then how is applying now any different then applying before this ruling and expecting a denial. As for Who would financially back any lawyers willing to take this on, that seems like it would be an issue, time is money. 

IANAL so can anyone comment on this scenario:

"join this NJ justifiable need lawsuit for X amount of dollars and here are your instructions for applying"

I agree. What is the point of a few dozen applications that get denied? If there was some organization to this idea, something behind it other than wasting a day of my time, I'd gladly join and contribute to it. 

We already have numerous cases of individuals with "justifiable need" being denied permits. The NJ courts, including the Supreme Court, will not hear these cases. The U.S. Supreme Court will not hear these cases. That leaves the whatever-level court in which we have also had zero success. 

Come up with a plan, something that hasn't been tried before. Maybe go outside the state for ideas, for legal advice and representation. Would 1,000 applicants willing to go through the process, and throw in $150 each of their own money to pay lawyers do the trick? Would a lawsuit based on denials to 100 consecutive Sussex County residents do the trick? I don't know.

I agree. What is the point of a few dozen applications that get denied? If there was some organization to this idea, something behind it other than wasting a day of my time, I'd gladly join and contribute to it. 

We already have numerous cases of individuals with "justifiable need" being denied permits. The NJ courts, including the Supreme Court, will not hear these cases. The U.S. Supreme Court will not hear these cases. That leaves the whatever-level court in which we have also had zero success. 

Come up with a plan, something that hasn't been tried before. Maybe go outside the state for ideas, for legal advice and representation. Would 1,000 applicants willing to go through the process, and throw in $150 each of their own money to pay lawyers do the trick? Would a lawsuit based on denials to 100 consecutive Sussex County residents do the trick? I don't know.

I would pay 150 on top of any other app fees in a HEARTBEAT to have something (lawsuit) legally structured with monthly updates as well as copies of legal correspondence via email so i could follow the case as one of the plantiffs. However, I wouldnt even no where to start, who to suggest this to, or how to present it.

I would pay 150 on top of any other app fees in a HEARTBEAT to have something (lawsuit) legally structured with monthly updates as well as copies of legal correspondence via email so i could follow the case as one of the plantiffs. However, I wouldnt even no where to start, who to suggest this to, or how to present it.

I think 50 or 100 consecutive application denials from one county, followed by a lawsuit, is the way to go. Does that number qualify for class action status? We'd need a LOT of money to get the ball rolling. We'll lose the lawsuit of course. The state supreme court won't hear the appeal. What's after that? Somebody help me here; I know next to zero about law. Ah yes, it's the court that ruled against us a few months ago. Then maybe the US Supreme Court, which also will not hear the case.

Come to think of it, this is a huge f-ing waste of money and time. We're not going to get any favorable publicity, and the majority of NJ voters either don't care or think we're nuts.

Nevertheless, I'd be willing to participate provided enough people committed to the cause and someone comes up with a legally and tactically novel approach. If all you can offer is get turned down by the local judge, then wait five years for the Supreme Court to decline to hear the case after spending $300,000 on lawyers, then count me out.

Does anyone have any idea why Gura did not oppose the stay?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

My guess (and just a guess) is that he wants to at least appear to be fair. 

He did say that he would be open to a short stay, but not 180+30 days like Moore v Madigan (illinois)