Sign in to follow this  
gfl216

Can I carry a knife in Massachusetts

These two links seem quite useful

http://www.knifeup.com/massachusetts-knife-law/

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2013/04/know-your-knife-laws-massachusetts/

(...) Conclusion to Massachusetts Knife Laws

The knife laws in Massachusetts are somewhat confusing. They are written in very, very long archaic fashion that, for the average person, seems like a foreign language. From our analysis of the law, we have found that:

• There are no limits to what types of knives you can own. The law only limits the carry of some knives.
  • Stilettos, daggers, dirks, double edged knives, ballistic knives, knives with knuckles and automatic knives are forbidden from carry unless you have a Class A license.
  • It is illegal to sell some knives in Massachusetts.
  • It is illegal to carry anything that can be perceived as dangerous when you are arrested or disturbing the peace. Kitchen knives, swiss army knives, and folding knives are not dangerous per se but can be if you use them in a certain manner.
  • Do not bring knives to school.

Note that this is not legal advice and there is no client-attorney relationship. There are also county laws that come into play as well so, if you need legal help, talk to an attorney in your area.

(...)

Apparently some municipalities (e.g., Boston - surprise-surprise :) ) impose more restrictions, e.g. on the blade length

This isnt legal advice but I lived in MA from 97-09. I carried a knife all the time, some had the clip sticking outside my pocket. Never once had a problem. Just dont be carrying a sword on your belt and you shouldnt draw the attention of anyone

Those laws are slightly better than PA knife laws. Because they are very similar, yet you don't get a relief with a license in PA.

This isnt legal advice but I lived in MA from 97-09. I carried a knife all the time, some had the clip sticking outside my pocket. Never once had a problem. Just dont be carrying a sword on your belt and you shouldnt draw the attention of anyone

Unfortunately, that doesn't really mean thee is not peril. People carry knives clipped to their pocket for 15 years in Philly, seen by cops, whatever. Then one day find out knives are illegal in public in Philly and realize the penalty is a minimum of 90 days in jail.

But it looks like in Mass if you avoid the banned carry knives you have less to worry about from what was posted of course.