Sign in to follow this  
bhunted

Colt Python and Joe

Anyone watch Joe Montengna last night on Midwest USA? They spoke of the Colt Python, what led to it and what companies tried to compete with it.

After watching it, I was sick to my stomach that I sold mine. I miss it now more than ever. Ugh... Anyway, very interesting factoids. Try watch a rerun of it...

The gun David Soul made famous in Magnum Force!  The ICONIC buttery action.....the DEEP Blue finish.....the ACCURACY......the perfectly checkered WIDE HAMMER!  

John, I'm getting queezy in the stomach for YOU!!!!!!!

A friend of mine who shoots PPC every-so-often brings his to the Match once-in-a-while.  I got to dry fire it and almost C**E in my pants, lol!  OMG what a piece of CRAFTSMANSHIP!

Dave

My very first one was my duty carry. A 4" nickel. When we switched to semi, a kid out of the academy was in love with it, so I sold it to him. I also had the 6" royal blue and that's the one I recently sold and that I'm pist at myself for selling it. I figured I'd never go back to revolvers. Kicking myself so hard now it's pathetic.

When I watched it last night, I was screaming at the tv telling Joe to bite me! Lol...

I was first owner of both of mine. Paid a lousy $225 for the 4" and $275 for the 6"...

It would cost me big time to replace the 6 for sure even though I got a lot for it.

With the demand these guns have now, I don't get why they don't bring them to market again

Too costly as Joe put it. Supposedly each Python had at least 8 hours of man time dedicated to it.

A friend of mine back in the early/mid 80's bought one new...and let me try it.  Pythons were ALWAYS expensive...but worth every penny.

I just wish I had the money when they weren't obscenely expensive.

Hey BH thanx for that pointer. My DVR did catch that (must have been a new show) so I watched it last night. Quite a story.

My first handgun in 1978 was a Royal Blue 6" that was factory tuned by the Custom Shop. Bought it at Leslie Edleman's on Route 22.

Yes I still have it, and no I won't sell it!

Hey BH thanx for that pointer. My DVR did catch that (must have been a new show) so I watched it last night. Quite a story.

My first handgun in 1978 was a Royal Blue 6" that was factory tuned by the Custom Shop. Bought it at Leslie Edleman's on Route 22.

Yes I still have it, and no I won't sell it!

Holy bat underwear. Right about the same time I got mine. But bought it at the Edleman's Totowa Rt46 local...

As a punishment to myself, I may have to try acquire a circa '78 6"...

Maybe it will teach me a lesson.... In esscense, if I put a few hundred bux plus what I sold mine for at the time, it will be a wash.

Do you remember what you paid for yours? I think mine was around $400, a little more expensive at that time because it was factory tuned.

Next time I'm in the deposit box I'll have to look and see if I have the receipt.

Do you remember what you paid for yours? I think mine was around $400, a little more expensive at that time because it was factory tuned.

Next time I'm in the deposit box I'll have to look and see if I have the receipt.

$275.00 brand new... Almost positive. I'll have to dig out the old paperwork. I keep everything...

The gun David Soul made famous in Magnum Force! The ICONIC buttery action.....the DEEP Blue finish.....the ACCURACY......the perfectly checkered WIDE HAMMER!

John, I'm getting queezy in the stomach for YOU!!!!!!!

A friend of mine who shoots PPC every-so-often brings his to the Match once-in-a-while. I got to dry fire it and almost C**E in my pants, lol! OMG what a piece of CRAFTSMANSHIP!

Dave

My Uncle passed away a while back. My cousin gave my brother my uncles MIB python. She gave it to him because he is a collector. A coin collector LOL.

I'm happy for my brother and told him to never sell it. But man oh man would I love to add that gun to my collection.

I could be wrong but imho, any of them that are royal blue. 6" seems to be wanted more than others. I can't remember seeing an 8"... Although there were rumors.

There are engraved models going for well over 10Gs...,

Correct me on these if incorrect.

:)

I've wondered if there would be a premium for my factory tuned model. I've never shot a 'stock' Python so I have nothing to compare it to.

I'm no trigger expert, but pulling the double action on mine is like pulling a dull knife through a stick of 60 degree butter. I can't discern any delta in the pull from start to ignition.

The single action is ridiculous.

A Colt Python thread without Pics? Come on guys!

Posted ImagePosted Image

1966, came with the target grips (yuck, I know) AND a broken firing pin, so I got her for $500.. replaced fp for $25.

I may have a set of original grips left. Not sure.... Will have to do some digging.

bhunted, I appreciate that very much but I have since sold the revolver, but I wasn't eager to add that regretable detail! It was immediate post-Sandy and I couldn't justify holding onto it when I needed money for construction and to help my grandparents with their house. Someday I wish to own another one!