Sign in to follow this  
mikeyjones

Crossbow suggestions

So I've decided to get myself a bday gift and want a weapon I can play with in my own backyard as well as use it for varmint control and possible deer hunting.

I'm a complete newb to these things but want to get one that I won't outgrow or get frustrated with a year down the line.

Hit me with your suggestions and best places to purchase.

If you pick up the current issue of Field & Stream magazine, they have a test of about eight or more crossbows. It covers pros & cons, likes/dislikes, price, speed, special features, etc. Prices of those tested range from approx. $600 to $1,800 retail. (That's when I fell off the couch.)

I highly recommend the Parker Tornado F4.  Great crossbow and you get a lifetime warranty from Parker.  I did a TON of research on crossbows when I bought mine last year and after many hours of looking into it, it was between the Excalibur and the Parker Tornado F4.  I shot a ton of different crossbows but in the end the Parker was a winner for me.  The Excalibur's are very nice but the darn things are loud as hell.  The Tornado F4 is fast as hell and a lot of quieter.  You can get a really nice complete crossbow package, for an excellent price, from this placeb (that's where I got mine from): http://www.wyverncreations.com/

i had a Barnett 150lb crossbow back in the day , never had an issue. kept the string waxed well and had nice wood furniture. sold it long ago and regretted it ever since.  recently looked around at some new ones and don't even recognize them ..lol ..quiet and a hell of alot of fun 

I have a Horton Havoc 175. Reverse draw technology crossbow.

Awesome bow. The reverse draw bows are not front heavy like a traditional crossbow, as the weight is over the trigger group. They balance much like an AR-15.

Horton is out of business now, but there are other companies that make RDT bows. Scorpyd comes to mind, and Barnett also makes one.

You can also find a used Horton. I highly recommend the Havoc, and the slightly older model Vision. These are both VERY solid bows.

I would avoid the Fury like the plague, as it was a very problematic bow, and support/parts are non existent.

There are many good choices for crossbows out there. Take some time and handle/shoot various bows. Bangers Sport Shop in Winslow NJ has a big selection of crossbows.

How about those on the cheaper range?  $300-400'ish?

I've seen the Southern Crossbow Rebel 350 around a bit on some deal websites and though they have stupid rules about not shipping to NJ (even though it's legal and I've bitched and moaned to them multiple times), my interest has been Piqued.

How about those on the cheaper range?  $300-400'ish?

I've seen the Southern Crossbow Rebel 350 around a bit on some deal websites and though they have stupid rules about not shipping to NJ (even though it's legal and I've bitched and moaned to them multiple times), my interest has been Piqued.

The one I pointed out comes out to 299 after rebate.