Oleg

Need some help with my new gun

I got a new ppq m2 handgun and have some troubles hitting target with it. In about six months I shoot I tried about half dozen different handguns and spent couple thousand rounds easily; never had much troubles at least making some holes. Usually after a magazine or two I get pretty close to where I am targeting to. Not so with ppq. Even if I make a hole I hit target at random places.

Obviously I do something wrong but I cannot figure out what exactly is wrong and what is so different with this gun comparing to every other gun I tried before.

I am looking for a private lesson from somebody who can point to my mistakes and show how to improve. I am OBRPC member and I am close to both ranges.

Well it's not necessarily you. I assume you have no other guns to compare it to?  Are you missing consistently in the same place or are they all over the map?  Also, what sight picture are you using?

Try Sighting the gun in from fairly close, and adjusting and moving target back until you know your sights arent way off.

Where are you hitting/missing. Are you focusing on the front sight the whole way while pressing the trigger and not disturbing the front sight as the shot break?

Do you have near perfect sight alignment? Looking through the rear and aligning the front sight with the rear?

Thats a starting point. Anticipation/healing and other doodads can be worked out with some training rounds and 5 minutes of work.

I know basics and are doing sight picture #2. But results are all over the place if I manage to even hit.

One thing that I realized is that I shot ppq from somewhat longer distance (10+ yards) than most of my other shooting with 9mm + caliber. I will try to start over from much shorter distance.

I'm not sure what is correct for the PPQ but your sight picture should be one of the following:
ypubu8yh.jpg

Here is a target to help you identify your problem:
7yraduge.jpg

Since no one said it yet: try shooting from a rest/sandbag at 7 yards.

That will at least tell you where the gun is shooting relative to the sights.

If you shoot it carefully from a rest and it's still all over, then there's probably something wrong with the gun.

I got a new ppq m2 handgun and have some troubles hitting target with it. In about six months I shoot I tried about half dozen different handguns and spent couple thousand rounds easily; never had much troubles at least making some holes. Usually after a magazine or two I get pretty close to where I am targeting to. Not so with ppq. Even if I make a hole I hit target at random places.

Obviously I do something wrong but I cannot figure out what exactly is wrong and what is so different with this gun comparing to every other gun I tried before.

I am looking for a private lesson from somebody who can point to my mistakes and show how to improve. I am OBRPC member and I am close to both ranges.

Oleg,

Pick a day you want to be at the outdoor range and I'll meet you there.  I'll diagnose the issue(s) and give advice to correct the problem(s).  Bring this gun AND one you shoot really well so we have something to compare it too.  Or if it's the only one you own, I'll let you use one of mine.  Bring a box or two of ammo and we'll FIX this together!  In the meantime, DRY-FIRE the PI$$ outta that gun (UNLOADED, of course!) so it's no longer a surprise when the sear lets the striker propel forward.  Work your eye/hand coordination to the point where the sights are aligned at the point of ignition (strike of primer) and the gun DOESN'T MOVE!  

Dave

PPC Match Director and Discipline Chair, OBRPC

While you're home, try putting an empty shell casing (or a dime) on top of your front sight. Not sure if the PPQ's plastic front sight has a big enough footprint on top to hold the shell casing. Obviously, do this after you've checked that the pistol is unloaded and safe, and that the striker is cocked. Then pull the trigger without any jerking motion. If done correctly, the shell casing or dime should stay not fall off.

This is easier when a second person places the casing on your sight while you hold the pistol steady. Great drill to ensure proper trigger pull.

While you're home, try putting an empty shell casing (or a dime) on top of your front sight. Not sure if the PPQ's plastic front sight has a big enough footprint on top to hold the shell casing. Obviously, do this after you've checked that the pistol is unloaded and safe, and that the striker is cocked. Then pull the trigger without any jerking motion. If done correctly, the shell casing or dime should stay not fall off.

This is easier when a second person places the casing on your sight while you hold the pistol steady. Great drill to ensure proper trigger pull.

CONGRATS to my new friend Oleg and thanks for the opportunity to mentor you, as it was my pleasure.  Herewith for all concerned is the official After-Action Report:

UPDATE on Oleg:

I met Oleg at the outdoor range.  Watched him shoot one mag (10 rounds) with his PPQ and inspected the targets.  Typical LOW and LEFT shot placement at 5 yards distance with striker-fired hand gun.  Worked on dry-fire practice and muscle control and breathing so sights are properly aligned at point of ignition.  Had him isolate muscle groups so palm squeeze was constant during trigger squeeze.  Used another target (15 rounds) and saw improved results, so back to 10 YARDS we go!  Group improved at twice the yardage (10 rounds w/ a tight group and some low flyers), but still not all of the way there, so we did the "turn-around while I load yer mag every-so-often with snap caps" drill.  This isolated the flinch, which we then corrected thru more snap caps.  Used 5-10 rounds total for both drills.  

At the end of the session (which took less than an hour, including all of the dry-firing), from 10 yards away, he was consistently hitting about an inch to the left (at nine o'clock), with perfect vertical alignment.  One inch away from every shot fired hitting the X-ring at 10 yards!  And it took only a single box of ammo to do it!  Oh, and did I mention that he is cross-eye dominant?  He was getting tired and had somewhere else to be, so I told him to dry-fire practice lots more when he had the chance, to reinforce what he'd learned today.  Oleg was VERY happy and I think I made a new friend, lol!

And "not-for-nuthin'" as they say in Joisey, but this outta-the-box Walther PPQ has a fantastic trigger!!  In fact the trigger on this gun is better than any outta-the-box Glock trigger I've played with!  As a "Control" to ensure that the gun was functioning flawlessly, from 10 yards away I squeezed-off a round (after dry-firing for a minute) EXACTLY to point of aim at the top of the 10-Ring!  I fired ONE shot, unloaded the gun and told Oleg that I didn't need to waste his ammo!  Coming from a 1911 Fanboy like me, that's quite a compliment for the PPQ.  In fact, it's been so long since I bought a hand gun that I don't even have electronic fingerprints (system NOT invented yet when I bought my last 2011 Para double-stack).  THAT may have to change, lol............

Dave

Dave, thank you for your help. Improvements are immediate and I though I am a slow learner. Your report is nothing but amazing.

Thank you Oleg.  You're a good listener, so you learn FAST!  Continued success at your new hobby.  Hope to see you around the ranges soon!  All the best!

Dave