InFamous

Any other HK P7 PSP owners out there?

I recently acquired a Heckler and Koch P7 PSP and was wondering if anyone else owns one. It's a very unique 9mm that has a really great history. I've done a bit of research on it, but in case I missed anything, is there certain things I need to know about this handgun? I know it heats up quickly because of the gas ejection and also they recommend ammo under 146 grain. Also I've already purchased the gas cylinder cleaning tools that HK now recommends for this specific model. 

Thanks!

Good luck with it. I always wanted to add one to the collection.

Thanks! Even though I won't shoot it often, it's definitely something I'll never get sell. Prized possession status.

I know someone looking to sell one, I got permits coming and might pick it up

Definitely pick it up if you can get it for the right price. I got a steal deal on it. Hans Gruber would be very impressed lol

Nope. Hope you get it though. It really is a work of art. The history of it is amazing, why it was built, how it was built. It also has an American version used by NJSP and Paterson PD until they switched to Sigs. The P7 has a serious cult following. 

It's a 9mm that needs to be babied, just remember that. I have read a lot on it. You do need the HK tools to clean it. I was curious if anyone else had one and can lend more insight. I hope you get yours!

Nope. Hope you get it though. It really is a work of art. The history of it is amazing, why it was built, how it was built. It also has an American version used by NJSP and Paterson PD until they switched to Sigs. The P7 has a serious cult following.

New Brunswick PD carried it for a while too.

the one I am hoping to get is a 1980's model with all the tools and either 3 or 4 mags

Mine is early 80's model got it with 2 mags. I'll post exact dates tomorrow. Hoping to drum up some P7 love on this forum :)

It is designed for 124gr NATO rounds and 115gr will work fine, but 147gr ammo can cause stove pipes because the last couple of rounds in the mag move forward due to the extra mass movement of the slide when shooting 147s. I own two PSPs. one is a C grade that I had hard chromed, and the 2nd is an A grade in about 98% condition. I got both during the "flood" 4 years ago when the German surplus PSPs were everywhere for $500 to $700. Now they have been mostly bought up and their prices are moving up toward $1000.  On both of mine I removed the white sight inserts on the original sights and replaced them with Trijicon tritium vials, and I really like them. This is a very good thread where HKPro user G3Kurz, a H&K engineer, explains the mindset behind the design development of the P7 PSP pistol.

http://hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/132962-explanation-hk-P7-operation.html

Awesome info Worn! hkpro.com is definitely an awesome site and I've read that thread, it really is a unique piece. I'm glad to know the 124 grain is best to use. That's what I was trying to keep around for it. I'm not sure what "grade" mine would be. The gun itself look flawless except for on scratch on the left trigger guard. I guess I won't tell you what I got mine for LOL I did get a "family discount" I guess cause my Uncle got it from an estate he inherited and it was too small for his hands. I paid probably 1/4 or less of what it's probably worth.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you, the gun fires extremely accurate. It's basically like pointing your index finger at the target. Just know the gun heats up quickly from what I've read. I haven't put enough rounds through mine  to know how hot/how fast. 

I'm going to assume mine is grade A since it only has the one scratch on it, no holster wear. IDK how to really find out though. Also you can check the manufacture date on the gun and mags here...

http://hkp7.com/marks.htm

Anyone that knows me, knows the fact my P7 ends in 666 isn't surprising lol

qGcJHe.jpg

Mag date codes.

eugZPV.jpg

zV3yJN.jpg

yHPoEF.jpg

pNhQFR.jpg

Here is the one scratch I was talking about earlier. All in all it's a very clean gun, doesn't even show holster wear. I honestly doubt 100 rounds have been shot through it.

WJ16Ku.jpg

Wow, did not realize they shot up in price. Bought one on the forum a few years ago. Shot once or twice. Was my out of state carry gun. Really accurate but they get hot after a few mags.

Stupid safe too with the squeeze cocker.