Taipan

Waiting for a lane at the range

I'm new to the sport, so another newbie question.   

What do you do if the range is full when you get there?   Sign in for the next available spot?  Wait outside one range for it to open up?   I'd just like to know the usual etiquette before I get there.

Specifically, this is about OBRPC outdoor. 

Thanks for any tips.

It helps to go at certain times. I usually avoid indoor ranges on the weekends. I go early during the weekdays, in the afternoon just before afternoon rush. If I do go on the weekends, I make sure I'm on line early (i.e. before the doors open).

It helps to go at certain times. I usually avoid indoor ranges on the weekends. I go early during the weekdays, in the afternoon just before afternoon rush. If I do go on the weekends, I make sure I'm on line early (i.e. before the doors open).

He was referring to OBRPC, the door opens whenever he wants, 24/7 indoor, 9am until sunset outdoor.

He was referring to OBRPC, the door opens whenever he wants, 24/7 indoor, 9am until sunset outdoor.

Fair enough... i was referring to my own experience... :D

Until now, I wasn't aware of any indoor ranges that have 24x7 access unless you're the owner/employee. 

Gunnz im in sayreville and was thinking of doing the same. I think its $300 to join and then another $380 a year and 12 hours working at the range. I just need the upfront money. Check out the site for all the info. http://www.obrpc.org

You are basically correct, except that we split the Initiation Fee of $300 into (2) equal payments of $150 each, with the first $150 due at sign-up and the 2nd $150 due in (6) months--when you're no longer a Probie.  Probies aren't subject to Work Hours, as only Full Members bear that responsibility.  So your first six months are Work-Hour free (but you can help if ya want to).  The regular annual dues are just $384 per year.  That translates to about a buck a day (after the Initiation Fee is paid the first year of membership)........

I've never "waited for a lane".  This time of year those "in-the-know" bring rifles, pistols, and a scattergun for clays (as well as a clay bird thrower) to the outdoor range.  Even on a busy 1st or 3rd Sunday (when Black Powder, Static Steel AND Shotgun League all shoot simultaneously starting at 9:00 am), one can slide-over to the Shotgun field (bring your own thrower) usually before 11:30 and shoot there while waiting for Steel and Black Powder to finish-up.  Bring your lunch, a nice cigar, etc. and by 3:00 pm (the 100 yard range was available at 1:00 pm yesterday) the place is a Ghost Town!  Stay until 1/2 hour before dusk!  You might even wander-over to one of the Leagues that are shooting and WATCH and LEARN how to do it (watching and participating in a few leagues is part of your probationary requirements--and we DON'T BITE, lol).  

OR go to the indoor range on a beautiful summer day, turn-on the lights and blowers and have a 12-lane indoor (Pistol caliber-ONLY-NO Magnums) range ALL TO YOURSELF.  Air conditioned and heated meeting room, wide screen TV, soda machine, and clean restrooms....Just sweep yer brass and clean-up after yourself, since YOUR MOTHER isn't coming after you to do it, lol!

As the calendar pages turn, some folks like to sight-in their deer rifles and slug guns in preparation for the upcoming hunting season.  So if ya take your long gun to our outdoor range for a COLD BORE sight-in, light-up yer favorite cigar in-between COLD BORE shots, read the paper, do a word puzzle........YOU'RE NOT PAYING BY THE HOUR TO BE THERE......

If any of this interests you, this coming Sunday August 10th is our monthly Sign-Up and Safety Check, held at the indoor range starting at 9:00 am SHARP (so get there at 8:45 for a parking spot), located at 95 Maple Street in Old Bridge (Maple runs off Rt. 18 at the Wawa).  Bring a hand gun (NO magnums) or a .22 LR rifle, your NJFID, and your check book.  By 11:00 am you'll have a copy of the club rules and bylaws, have taken some shots at the backstop of the indoor range (hopefully passed), and be invited to write yer check!  It's really just THAT easy...........

Dave

PPC Match Director and Discipline Chair, OBRPC

Gunnz im in sayreville and was thinking of doing the same. I think its $300 to join and then another $380 a year and 12 hours working at the range. I just need the upfront money. Check out the site for all the info. http://www.obrpc.org

The money upfront is what has kept me from going to either old bridge or central jersey.

I live 5 minutes from the old bridge range, but the upfront fees and "competing" has always kept me from doing the membership.

The money upfront is what has kept me from going to either old bridge or central jersey.

I live 5 minutes from the old bridge range, but the upfront fees and "competing" has always kept me from doing the membership.

Such a shame cause yer SO close!  FWIW, "Competing" is only required twice during your 6-month probation, with the other three appearances (five in total) being merely an observation.  From Shotgun to Bullseye we have quite a bit to pick from (and ya can even pick one and do it twice, lol).  Essentially it's a SAFETY issue...we really don't care how bad of a shot you are as long as you're SAFE doing it, due primarily to the fact that with membership comes both responsibility and benefits.  The RESPONSIBILITY to be your own Range Officer, to always conduct yourself in a SAFE manner.  As a Discipline Chair I'll be a bit blunt:  We (the Discipline Chairs are tasked with this) need to observe YOU to correct any small problems with regard to range rules and give you the chance to ask questions so ya don't get caught doin' sumthin' STUPID (for instance "sweeping" everybody around you)!  We can't do this without your participation in this part of our Safety Program.  Failure to adhere to the Safety Program mandate of a mere (2) participations ("competing" at a league event) means you really don't wish to prove you're SAFE.  More on this later.  The BENEFITS of membership include the ability to host your family and friends into the facilities.  If we don't know how you ACT, how you HANDLE firearms, how are we as a club going to TRUST you to coach your invited guests?  Everybody is THEIR OWN RANGE OFFICER.  We don't employ R-O's to babysit. 

Now I hope I've dispelled your fears of "having to compete", since LOTS of members go through the orientation process and we never see them at league competitions afterwards.

As for the upfront Initiation Fee, well, every club I've ever been a member at has some sort of this fee.  In this locale Old Bridge's is a BARGAIN!

Hope you visit soon (non-members can either watch for FREE or pay the non-member rate to shoot any league) to see what fun we're all having!  Have the rest of a good week.  For the range schedules, see our newsletter on the web site.

Dave

I am a fresh probie at obrpc and went into one of the obrams events. It took a whole day but it was a great fun. Shooting all kind of tricky targets are much more interesting than killing paper. I also got some great help from members. I used to plan a week ahead trips to shoreshot because it is kind of long affair. Now I just go to range when I feel like it. 

I also took my wife and older kid to shoot at the range and they liked it a lot. Do not know if it is any interest for you but there are no restrictions on how often your immediate family can come with you to the range. You need family membership only if they want to visit club without you. This makes membership fee a bargain for me right away. So far I am very happy I joined obrpc.

I live in old bridge, maybe I should check out the range there!